Thread: Inquisition and excommunication

Default Inquisition and excommunication

Hey guys!

When I played M2TW last time, I was wondering why, although excommunicated, I was still losing characters to inquisitors. Since the church has cut me off, isn't it logical that the inquisition will not have any power over my land?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure that the only reason the inquisitors had the power to prosecute was because the pope gave them that power. In an excommunicated country, the pope has no power => the inquisitors should not have any, too.

If what I said is right, do you think that this could be changed for this mod?

Thanks

Default Re: Inquisition and excommunication.

Not really. The pope still has power. Normally it's the king who gets excommunicated, not the land.
    And when there are enough people supporting the inquisitor, why shouldn't he proceed killing your generals which have refused to follow the pope's order and still follow the excommunicated king.
    You also get high unrest in your settlements when your excommunicated because the people don't want a leader who is on bad terms with god's viceregent.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

I've been considering what to do with inquisitors, I wonder if it is worth changing their appearance and renaming them Legates? What we could do is give them the same appearance (cardinal?) as Papal diplomats also called.

In this way some legates will go around doing diplomacy and some will go around kicking ass.

Naturally inquisitor legates would have reduced powers over vanilla, and diplomatic legates would have increased diplomatic powers

Evelien's Avatar Miles

All I know is that they were really annoying in my Crusader states campaign using SS 6.4

Inquisitors in vanilla are afaik broken beyond repair from historical point of view. In actual Middle Ages there were very little burning people for heresy by inquisition as it was contradictory to Church's goals (it was pretty much limited only to repetitive offenders). The sectarians were usually slaughtered by secular arm the old fashioned way if they grew out of control (crusades). The way it's depicted in game is more suited for later times in 15th and 16th century with its infamous witch hunts etc. where one actually could be burned for nothing. In previous times it was quite problematic to get one burned for heresy because such penalty had to be confirmed by Pope as head of Inquisition (he is even today btw) and it wasn't until Reformation when the Inquisiton had its powers significantly extended (no appeal, instant death penalty, no more Pope confimring etc.).

That said Inquisitors in DotS won't be burning people and may not be even in if we cannot mod them somehow into Papal Legates as Hross said.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher