Thread: Preview: FCRC v1.1 - The Second Bulgarian Empire

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Preview: FCRC v1.1 - The Second Bulgarian Empire

Hello everyone! I'm happy to present to you the new faction in v1.1 of Chivalry - Total War - Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent. Contrary to what you may have thought,
    it isn't a Lithuanian faction, but the Second Bulgarian Empire. "Why the Bulgarians?", you might think. We found that they were a lot more important than the
    still largely tribal Baltic lands, and would be a lot more interesting to play as.
    Enjoy
    History
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In 1185, Peter and Ivan Asen led a revolt against the Byzantine Empire in Bulgaria. The Bulgars, a people whom originated in the steppes and had kept much of their steppe culture, had been finally conquered by the Byzantines in the 9th century. At first, they were only partly taken into the empire, and were allowed to have some sort of autonomy. But because of the constant wars in the east, and the increasing number of incapable emperors after Manuel the Great, the Bulgarians had increasingly larger taxes laid upon them, and in 1185, unrest was at its hight. But not only Bulgars participated in the revolt; Transilvanians, Cumans, Greeks and especially Vlachs (wallachians) joined them in the rebellion. Thus, when Peter was crowned Tsar Peter IV, he was crowned "Tsar of Bulgars, Greeks and Vlachs". Between 1185 and 1197, the Byzantines would desperately try to regain their hold on Bulgaria, but with no success. In fact, the battle of Tryavna ended so horribly for the Byzantines, that emperor Isaac Angelos had to flee and left the Imperial Crown and Cross. Peter, after the military successes of his brother, gave rule over Bulgaria to the latter (who was later crowned Tsar Ivan I). Peter still governed Preslav and was officially still ruler, but Ivan was in direct control.

Later, after and even during the Fourth Crusade, the Bulgarians would be a thorn in the side of the Latins. In the very first year of its creation, the Latin Empire would be defeated at Adrianople by the Bulgarian Tsar Kaloyan (1197-1207). The Byzantine nobility was at first allied to the Bulgarians in this struggle, but later betrayed them. Kaloyan, as a punishment, ordered the whole population of Varna to be put to the sword after a siege.

Under Ivan Asen II, the Empire would reach its Golden Age, having influence on almost all of the Balkan, effectively being the successor to the Byzantine Empire. It would later suffer defeats against the Empire of Nicaea, the Mongolian Golden Horde and the Ottoman Turks, in that order. In 1396, the Kingdom of Vidin (the last free Bulgarian stronghold) fell to the Ottomans, which meant the end of the 2nd Bulgarian Empire.

The Empire during its hight was a true successor to the former might of Byzantium, even mimicking its customs and administration. A large part of the Bulgarian population was literate and it developed its own sense of art and architecture.

The Faction In-Game: Units
    "
    This combat lasted a long time... There on the field remained the Emperor Baldwin, who never would fly, and Count Louis; the Emperor Baldwin was taken alive and Count Louis was slain. Alas! How awful was our loss!
    —Crusader chronicler Geoffrey of Villehardouin on the battle of Adrianople
    The Bulgarian Empire in ChivTW has a greatly varied roster. Cumans, Vlachs, Bulgarians, Greeks and Transilvanians all make their appearance, as well as the "standard" units for all factions. The army was big; 40 000 Men-At-Arms in the late 12th Century. Here is the selection of units that differs from the "regular" roster:
    Infantry
    Bulgaria wasn't known for its infantry, but it does sport a whole bunch of handy AOR units.

Cavalry
    “Simeon arrived, leading a large army, which was divided into many squads, some armed with golden shields and golden spears, others with silver shields and silver spears, third with weapons of every colour and all dressed in iron.”
    —Theophanes
    The strength of the Bulgarian army was its cavalry. The Bulgarians had never left their steppe origin (as they neighboured the steppes and thus had the need to be able to defend themselves against steppe warfare) and thus rely on lancers and horse archers. Deadly in a charge and from afar, but keep them away from any melee engagement.

Next to that, the Bulgarians have access to the Western Vassal Knights once they take the appropriate regions.

Credits
    Work on the Bulgarian faction done by:
    Coder, Scripter, 2d & 3d Artist
    Bull3pr00f
    Mapper
    Drtad

Next to that, thanks to:
    The beta testers - for helping me with this mod
    The original ChivTW team - for making such an awesome modification from which I can build
    The CrusTW team - for providing me with the models for new units like the Bulgarian MAA or the Bolyar (Bulgarian for Boyar) Lancers
    And of course many others

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Preview: FCRC v1.1 - The Second Bulgarian Empire

Well done ... just to make a 2nd post.

Edit: Oh, and i think, next time, the unit pictures could be a bit bigger
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I've got my reasons to delay a frontpage announcement for a few days

Ashton's Avatar Semisalis

Nice work! Keep it up!

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Good work!!

-Duke Nukem's Avatar Civis
    Place where all a$$kickers are.......a STRIP club!(the place where i usualy are)

Hey, do the transivalnia guys suck blood?
    Come get some!
    Duke Nukem Forever(it realy took forever): (10th June 2011)
    RTR VII GC: April,May,June,July,Julii,August,September...when?
    Welcome to "Cool's-Ville", Population: ME
    When you open a can of Whoop-Ass,I jump out....so beawere!

Heh, no

Only the nobles do, but there wasn't enough space to add a unit

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze are you really sure on this sub-mod or what it is you didn't forgot something?
    Actually wasn't only Bulgarians:
    From 1185-1258 Czardom Vlaho-Bulgarian and was a multinational state occurred in the Lower Danube in 1186, with victory Bulgarians and Romanians (Vlachs) rebels in the south of the Danube against the Byzantine Empire, because Byzantine Empire was weak on the North side and was asking more and more like taxes etc etc and that made Bulgarians and Romanians not only Bulgarians because they couldn't handle, alone, to revolt against Byzantium Empire.And all this territory's was till first Mongol Invasion.
    This is the romanian version for the Czardom:
    http://saccsiv.wordpress.com/2011/11...vorbeau-dacii/

First I have to say that this patch is discontinued for the time being.

Second: I know it wasn't just Bulgarians; the alternative name for this empire, as you said, is the Bulgarian-Wallachian Empire. Heck, it's official name at the time was Empire of Vlachs and Bulgars. To add to that, Peter and Ivan Asen are often speculated to be of Cuman or Vlach origin. You do notice the vlach unit present in the unit roster, don't you?
    In any case, the "common" name for this empire, however you want to call it, is the Second Bulgarian Empire. If we had to name it after every single ethnicity that was part of it, we would have quite a large list. I know the relations between nationalities in the Balkan are tense at best, but I hope you do understand
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; May 06, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Yes I saw on you're unit creation the names, about the empire, at that moment Petru and Asan I don't think they wanted to build an empire, just freedom. About the relationship's you're right, but we love Bulgarians they are like our brothers as an romanian first we put our hands to this years and then we freedom them from Ottoman Empire but, too bad Bulgaria have an big problem what my country will have in couple of years, in Bulgaria at this moment live under 40% Bulgarians...they have problems by being over-populated by Turks and soon Romania will have with... The relations are hot more between Greece-Turks, Greece-Machedonian's or Serbians-Muntenegru, we are a peacefully nation

about the empire, at that moment Petru and Asan I don't think they wanted to build an empire, just freedom
    Yeah, as it happens a lot in history. The Romans initially had no intent to grow big either, although they quickly changed that attitude.
    The relations are hot more between Greece-Turks, Greece-Machedonian's or Serbians-Muntenegru, we are a peacefully nation
    That's great to hear
    You'll probably understand my caution concerning stuff like this; there's a lot of idiots on the internet, and you never know who's who, so it's best to keep cautious, especially with tense things like the Balkan. Glad to see you're not one of those

about the empire, at that moment Petru and Asan I don't think they wanted to build an empire, just freedom
    Yeah, as it happens a lot in history. The Romans initially had no intent to grow big either, although they quickly changed that attitude.
    The relations are hot more between Greece-Turks, Greece-Machedonian's or Serbians-Muntenegru, we are a peacefully nation
    That's great to hear
    You'll probably understand my caution concerning stuff like this; there's a lot of idiots on the internet, and you never know who's who, so it's best to keep cautious, especially with tense things like the Balkan. Glad to see you're not one of those

Actually it was a Bulgarian Empire because before there was mainly slavs and vlach but they all loved the bulgarian rulers. The cuman tribes helped a lot to the bulgarians but the main reason for this that the tzardom did non fall was because the byzantine Emperor. The reason for the slaying of the Varna's citizens is revenge for 14 000 bulgarian soldiers blinded in the end of the first First Bulgarian Empire and by the way the First Bulgarian Empire ended 11th century. I em a bulgarian and this is great.

Tiro

Is there already a release date in mind for FCRC v1.1?
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

There is no release date I am afraid. Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze, who had been doing almost all modding work on FCRC has been quite inactive on theese forums since the last summer. However, in his case man could never know if he would not unexpectedly pop-up with the patch finished

Anyway, keep in mind that this preview is outdated and that Bulgarian Empire may not be among the content of the 1.1 patch...
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; May 20, 2013 at 04:05 AM.