Thread: Question(s)

Default Question(s)

Hi,
    I'm playing SPQR 5(thanks! it made the game much more enjoyable) and I've reached 24000 people in one of my cities. But I can't build an Imperial Palace. I took a quick glance at the readme and didn't notice anything that's changed about it. So is there some other pre-requisite? This didn't happend in 4.6(I think) for me at least.

Also, not sure if this is a bug, but the Macedonians were attacking my city. They had a siege tower, ladder and a battering ram. However, they never went up the ladder until much later when I decided to come out and fight the guys who were moving the battering ram. They rammed the gate opened but they never went in. The only thing that was normal was the siege tower. So I'm wondering if this is a bug or something

Last, say I'm sieging a city and I use ladders. One unit has them and they go up the walls, can I get another unit and use the ladders to help the first unit? If so, how? I've tried selecting the unit and right or left click the ladders and I can't do it. I'm assuming it would be the same for siege towers also. Reason I asked was in that same siege battle from above, I saw another unit using the siege tower after the first one was on the walls.

Anyways, thanks for reading and thanks for the great mod. Any help/insight/comment is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetDreamz
    I'm playing SPQR 5(thanks! it made the game much more enjoyable) and I've reached 24000 people in one of my cities. But I can't build an Imperial Palace. I took a quick glance at the readme and didn't notice anything that's changed about it. So is there some other pre-requisite? This didn't happend in 4.6(I think) for me at least.
    You need a Great Forum to create an Imperial Palace.

Also, not sure if this is a bug, but the Macedonians were attacking my city. They had a siege tower, ladder and a battering ram. However, they never went up the ladder until much later when I decided to come out and fight the guys who were moving the battering ram. They rammed the gate opened but they never went in. The only thing that was normal was the siege tower. So I'm wondering if this is a bug or something
    Yea, that's a bug, but not SPQR's. It's a problem with the AI which is, unfortunatley, hardcoded.

Last, say I'm sieging a city and I use ladders. One unit has them and they go up the walls, can I get another unit and use the ladders to help the first unit? If so, how? I've tried selecting the unit and right or left click the ladders and I can't do it. I'm assuming it would be the same for siege towers also. Reason I asked was in that same siege battle from above, I saw another unit using the siege tower after the first one was on the walls.
    Yea, you can. Just select the unit you want to go up the ladder, and select the part of the wall you want your unit to go up, and they will go up.

Also, not sure if anyone's said this to you, but welcome to the forums!! Hope you like it here!!

Adnan

Thanks for the answers.

Yea, that's a bug, but not SPQR's. It's a problem with the AI which is, unfortunatley, hardcoded.
    Never noticed it before, first time. But then I don't usually sit in the city until they attack me.

Yea, you can. Just select the unit you want to go up the ladder, and select the part of the wall you want your unit to go up, and they will go up.
    And it's that easy. All that clicking...lol

Also, not sure if anyone's said this to you, but welcome to the forums!! Hope you like it here
    Thanks, it's a nice place here. Registered and lurked here basically. Don't have much to contribute except questions.

Just realised another question.

Do blacksmiths come later in the game or are they just not there? I never played past marian reforms in any of SPQR games....by the time I reformat, a new version of SPQR is out and ya...lol. Thanks.

Just realised another question.

Do blacksmiths come later in the game or are they just not there? I never played past marian reforms in any of SPQR games....by the time I reformat, a new version of SPQR is out and ya...lol. Thanks.
    Romans can't build blacksmiths anymore... There are no armour upgrades in SPQR, instead you get experience (chevrons) through academies... Barb factions can build them but they get other bonuses instead... here is an extraction point from the Readme file... if u play romans destroy them ;-)

105. Foreign Temples, Taverns, Caravans, Secret police, Greek theaters, Blacksmiths now contain a Negative bonus which will hurt Population and Happiness. I recommend destroying the Buildings.

I read that part from the Readme, so I sorta assumed they were still there. And then I saw some screenshots with the armor thingy, so it made me wonder abit more, then I realised it was a custom battle.

Thanks for clarifying.

u r welcome... this is what forums r all about ;-)

I've got an Imperial Palace now but Marius Reforms haven't happened yet? I thought the IP was the trigger for MR. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Once you have an imperial palace in Italy, the reforms of Gaius Marius will happen randomly after 220 B.C. or so. Just have patience and it will come.

Mine happens usually in 218 B.C.! I'm so lucky!

Adnan

And I'm at 195 BC already. Oh well, until next weekend to see when MR happens.