Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CPU Bottleneck - What is it, and how it affects your games.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

Default Re: CPU Bottleneck - What is it, and how it affects your games.

ah well the sites not in english so i didnt catch that sorry man my bad lol
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeyesreaper View Post
    ah well the sites not in english so i didnt catch that sorry man my bad lol
    hehe no problem, I should have been clearer.

Thanks once again for all the help, I'm sure I will be happy whit my new system!

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

reaper - I suppose I should've made myself more clear. Yes, DX 11 opens up multiple CPU threads in order to assist with certain Direct X functions, but the game itself doesn't require DX 11 to be multithreaded. The way the information was presented, they made it seem like you needed DX 11 to get the game to have multithreaded support, and that we know, is BS. I mean, didn't ETW and NTW have Quad Core support?

Citizen

i know man i addressed that in my TL DR post lol.

i mentioned straight up developers can multi thread rather easily but most dont since there game engines aka Unreal Engine 3 or w.e were made with 2 cores in mind anything more was just bonus which is why most games dont see improvements, and as i also mentioned untill new game engines are created from the ground up we wont see much in the way of change no matter what API we use lol
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same

some really good informative post in this thread.

i suppose i have a gpu bottleneck as i gain about 10 fps when going from 1920x1080 to 1024x768.

I overclocked my gpu (gtx 260) but it hardly raised my fps, which confused me on the result.
    My cpu is an amd x2 250 ( pretty cheap and old cpu) so I really thought it would be a clear bottleneck.

i'm also sure you guys are aware of the tom's hardware hierarchy charts for gpu and cpu. when i built my pc, the recommendation on upgrading was about 3/4 tiers above your own.

GPU
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2857-7.html

CPU
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2866-5.html

is 10 fps enough to safely eliminate cpu bottleneck?

Citizen

i wouldnt worry about till the full game is released. Seems CA kinda screwed the pooch this time around im one of a few lucky ppl where crossfire and my cpu are being used properly randomly others get crappy performance in general

going from an Athlon II x2 250 and gts 260 your next upgrade should be i5 2500k sadly the lower tier chips dont overclock so extra performance from that option in the future is null and void, AMD bulldozer chips will be released in may supposedly which will put AMD again supposedly back on even footing with Intel again,

But roughly 2500k is the only cpu worth grabbing right now and gpu wise yes a 6950 1gb or 560Ti are the best options in terms of price performance

i got a question about cpu which i cant work out. i want to dedicate a core to a process eg fraps which you can do in win 7 but went i try the admin rights are grey out. but im logged in as administrator. sorry if its a bit off topis but you seem to be quite knowledgable about cpus.
    Best Regards
    (HMG) TERMINATOR

Visit my youtube vids here - http://www.youtube.com/user/terminat...n?feature=mhum

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Citizen

if you need to dedicate a core to an app

ctrl alt delete
    open task manager find Fraps.exe
    right click select set affinity
    select the core to dedicate to fraps
    make sure the game your running has its affinity set to all cores BUT the core your dedicating to fraps you will need to run the game alt tab out then using the above method set affinity for the game. thats all you should have to do im running Win7 64bit currently ive never encountered an issue with admin rights, then again first thing i do when installing windows is Turn off User account control among other things as it tends to just annoy the hell out of me.

when i get to selecting affinity it say access denied. so maybe its the user account control - so how do i turn that off - and much appreciated for the help

hey found the problem - im so glad i asked - i

to fix this start task maneger
    go to the tab prosecces
    than under the prosecces list thare is a button with show all processes
    -this will, well, show all processes of the computer curent runing-

once i clicked this i could then set affinity

wow thanks for your help - this has been bugging be for ages

should be able to squeeze out a few more fps in fraps now
    Last edited by terminator acheron; February 28, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
    Best Regards
    (HMG) TERMINATOR

Visit my youtube vids here - http://www.youtube.com/user/terminat...n?feature=mhum

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Citizen

fraps is actually more HDD intensive then anything biggest way to improve overall performance using fraps tends to be to use a seperate HDD to write the Video files 2

aka game and OS on C drive using Drive D or E or F whatever windows give the second harddrive as the HDD to store screenshots and videos from fraps. I know when i record using fraps my file size for the videos tends to get out of control fairly quickly sometimes hitting as high as 10gb in extended recordings, It wont make giant difference but its worth trying if you have an old HDD laying around

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Lotz View Post
    Did drivercleaner.net not do a good job clearing out my old Nvidia drivers?
    I know i will get alot of "zomg you're wrong!" replies for this, but failure to use drivercleaner will never within a reasonable margin of error, ever, affect the framerate you get in games.

I personally never ever use drivercleaners of any sort (just a few times to test them out), and I pretty much never get crashes in games, even games that are notoriously crashy, and my framerates are only bad if the games engine itself is unpolished, as the Shogun 2 engine is, for EVERYONE. Regardless of drivercleaner or not.

Point is, it is a 99% chance that the reason for poor preformance on a mediocre to good system, is due to the games graphics engine being poorly coded or optimized. 99% of the time that is the case.
    I've played games (as many of you) for my entire life, and gone through hundreds of games where we all do the good old "lets troubleshoot this and see if i can fix the bad preformance" routine.

Drivercleaners, updating bios, updating drivers, using those oldschool ridiculous clear-ram-memory tools, all of that. None of it has ever made any difference what so ever.
    If a game runs poorly, if you know anything about computers and are familiar around handling computers, 99% of the time it is simply because the game itself is poorly optimized and there is Nothing you can personally do to change it.

Wait for a patch and hope, or upgrade your hardware to WELL above the reccommended specs to offset the lacking optimization.
    Basically, use a ferrari to get your kids to school on time, because the road is hella sticky.

Citizen

switch for ati to nvidia or vice versa can cause issues and in some cases a driver cleaner is needed in general ive never needed them personally

Is my System is going to have a Huge bottleneck ?
    CPU-Intel core i3 3210 3.2Ghz
    GPU-MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4G 4GB GDDR5
    RAM-8 GB
    WIN-7 64 Bit
    My Screen Resolution - 1366x768 ( 720p )

Is my System is going to have a Huge bottleneck ?
    Will i be able to play games on 1366x768 resolution ??

I'm pretty good with pc's, but not the tech stuff. I've checked this site: Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements to see if my laptop can handle the game and it said it can.

Can you please help me?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

What's the problem? Can't you run it? Low fps, crashes, could you expand on your problems a tad?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Well, my laptop can handle the game comfortably and it's not exactly a powerhouse.

It's an E2-1800 APU with 6GB and a Radeon HD 7340.

It can do 1366x768 on DX 11 with medium/high settings. FPS varies between 30-40, which is plenty enough for me.

So Rahulraj, I'd try the demo to see for sure. If that runs reasonably well then the full game should run better. Oh and systemrequirements isn't the best place to find out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123