Thread: First time Paradox player - HOI3 questions

Default First time Paradox player - HOI3 questions

I've heard many great reviews about Paradox games but have never attempted to try a grand strategy-type game, so now am thinking of going ahead with it. I've purchased HOI3 as I love WWII history, plus the Semper Fi expansion, as well as a couple sprite packs.

The first question I have is regarding installation. Do the sprite packs need to be installed before or after installing Semper Fi expansion? I know all they do is just replace the picture of some of the default units, but I was worried that if Semper Fi includes some new sprites as well that they might be overwritten by the ones from the separate packs. What should I do? Should I even bother with sprites and use counters instead?

My other question is what would be the recommended settings in terms of difficulty for someone who has never played any of the Paradox titles before?

Thanks
    Last edited by DirtyACE; February 25, 2011 at 02:56 PM.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: First time Paradox player - HOI3 questions

Do the tutorials and chuck it on Very Easy.
    First time round, very easy is the best, because you do not want a challenge yet, you simply want to learn how to play. Amp up the difficulty when you are feeling comfortable with the controls.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Are there any specific land division makeups that you recommend? How should I go about getting oil as Germany? What should I do as my opening moves for Australia? Is there a way to get my allies to help me by invading across the Atlantic?
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

How long does a typical campaign take? Is it possible to make a campaign longer?

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyACE View Post
    How long does a typical campaign take? Is it possible to make a campaign longer?
    It depends, you have I believe it is five level of speeds, each day is twenty four hours and goes through all days and months of the year, therefore if you had it on the slowest level...the campaign and the game overall is gonna be slow, the higher you go up (2,3 4 and 5) the game progresses faster.

Campaign's vary tbh, because many different things happen.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    Are there any specific land division makeups that you recommend? How should I go about getting oil as Germany? What should I do as my opening moves for Australia? Is there a way to get my allies to help me by invading across the Atlantic?

For land divisions, for Infantry I perfer 3 Infantry Brigades 1 Anti Tank Brigade or 1 Artillary Brigade, but only if you have invested alot of technology into your artillary.
    Building alot of light tanks mixed with an armour car is (3LT 1 AC) is a cheap and effective way of raising your tank practical and mobile unit practical. Soemtimes its good to also chuck in a TD with your Medium Tank brigades.
    When it comes to Tank Brigades, you essentially want to make them perfect agaisnt other tanks, because they'll still slaughter infantry for the most part due to their Softness (or lack there of).
    3 Tanks 1 Self Propelled Artillary or TD can be a good combo.
    When you have alot of IC, resources, and time behind you, nothing beats 1 Heavy Tank, 3 Mechanised Infantry, or any combo of mechanised infantry and tanks.

However, if you are playing as china: Militia. Forget infantry, chuck all your infantry research into making your militia good. You have such huge manpower, and they are so easy to make cheap and bloody fast, you'll be able to pump so many out that no one can invade you. THe only other thing is invest in your infrastructure, you'll need to be able to get your supplies to all thsoe soldiers or they will be useless.

Oil as Germany, invade people.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Thank you for answering the questions guys, very helpful!

Another question. Is there any way to play the game in windowed mode? I looked in the options menu, but didn't see anything about switching to windowed. Is it possible to do it?

Thank you for answering the questions guys, very helpful!

Another question. Is there any way to play the game in windowed mode? I looked in the options menu, but didn't see anything about switching to windowed. Is it possible to do it?
    A way exists, I do not know it however. Perhaps check the paradox forum...if it ever is up...lol

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forum.php

I've figured out how to enable windowed mode. You have to open the settings.txt file in the HOI3 main folder, then find an entry that says "fullscreen=yes". Change the "yes" to a "no" and save. However, just as a precaution, make sure to backup the settings.txt file before making any changes to it.

I've figured out how to enable windowed mode. You have to open the settings.txt file in the HOI3 main folder, then find an entry that says "fullscreen=yes". Change the "yes" to a "no" and save. However, just as a precaution, make sure to backup the settings.txt file before making any changes to it.
    It's funny you say that, I was just reading a thread on the paradox forums about it.

Yeah I saw the same thread also.

So, I managed to convert Britain and France to Fascism, so now all of Europe except Russia), Africa, the Middle East (except Afghanistan) and most of Asia are fascist. Is there a good way to invade America? I tried Florida but got cut off from supplies, and that was the only area I could manage to invade with Marines and paratroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by HissingNewt View Post
    So, I managed to convert Britain and France to Fascism, so now all of Europe except Russia), Africa, the Middle East (except Afghanistan) and most of Asia are fascist. Is there a good way to invade America? I tried Florida but got cut off from supplies, and that was the only area I could manage to invade with Marines and paratroopers.
    I've heard going through Miami is the best because it's a port.

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    I've heard going through Miami is the best because it's a port.
    Yeah, that was exactly why I tried there first, but I had a mass surrender once the supplies ran out and not everyone could fit on the ships. I lost quite a few experienced paratroopers there. Is there a way you recommend insuring that the supplies keep flowing? I've planned out an invasion of Russia that will happen tomorrow, and after that finishes I should have tons of guys able to flood into Florida and Acadia and start attacking.