Thread: Keeping settlements in check with an army elsewhere in the province

Default Keeping settlements in check with an army elsewhere in the province

I had an idea about this when playing BI the other day. The rising squalor etc forces you to strenghten the garrisons more and more and you basicly end up having big stacks sitting in in the cities. This again leads to increasing number of siegebattles, which in my opinion are not best part of RTW because they repeat themselves quite alot.

So the idea I had is that any army the player has inside the province adds up to garrison effect of the settlement. I think that is not too far fetched from the real life as the uprisings of the peasantry happened also (if not mostly) outside the big cities. The gameplay effect would be to have more and maybe also bigger armies inside your provinces guarding your borders. Thus you could utilise the 3D map more effectively and have more battles outside the settlements.

Ideas, comments?

Edit: the reason I posted in the M2TW forum is that I´m hoping to see something to this effect in the game

An excellent idea. Also, perhaps, bigger castles keeping things in order too?

Exatly, that was partly implemented in atleast BI, where bigger and better walls raised the order or law of the settlement.

Remove squalor all togheter OR if i rises to high the people will emigrate to another city or faction. I dont like how we are forced to build level 3,4,5 etc on a settlement just to battle some squalor problem. I like fighting in a small village or minor city where you dont need to walk 3 miles to get to the next end of the city. The best battlefield is a village without a govorning house or walls. Just some trees,fences and some houses
    check my "only 1 settlement" thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30259

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Its not a bad idea in theory, but it should be part of the players experience to balance the need to defend strategic locations on the map (bridges etc) with the need to keep order in the provinces capitol.

Not that it makes sense in some respects to only concern yourself with one city per province, when in reality there would be many smaller towns all needing looking after too.

So, every unit in a province should lower disorder to a degree, but not to the same extent as having an actual garison present in a city
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes