Thread: CA - Specify Save Game Location? - Will Shogun 2 allow us to not clog up the "C" drive?

Default CA - Specify Save Game Location? - Will Shogun 2 allow us to not clog up the "C" drive?

Will Shogun 2 give us the ability to designate somewhere other than C:Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Shogun2 as the default save game location?

I ask because I recently noticed that my numerous Empire Campaigns had eaten up the lions share of my small SSD HD (designed to only hold the OS) - despite the fact that the game itself was loaded onto a different HD. (See pic - the ginormous blue block are the Empire Save Game files).

Anyway, it would be nice to be able to avoid this in the next game!

TIA!

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: CA - Specify Save Game Location? - Will Shogun 2 allow us to not clog up the "C" drive?

Your request = not possible. The game installs wherever steam is located. Just put Steam on drive D.
    Work of God

Default Re: CA - Specify Save Game Location? - Will Shogun 2 allow us to not clog up the "C" drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Your request = not possible. The game installs wherever steam is located. Just put Steam on drive D.
    That is incorrect. I've got Steam directing the install of all games to a different drive than my SSD. However, Empire still saves games to the path outlined in my OP.

It is possible for them to allow you to designate a savegame location - it's just a few lines of code.

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by DyerWolf View Post
    That is incorrect. I've got Steam directing the install of all games to a different drive than my SSD. However, Empire still saves games to the path outlined in my OP.

It is possible for them to allow you to designate a savegame location - it's just a few lines of code.
    I never said it was impossible to save games elsewhere. You asked about Shogun 2 remember? They are not going to change the code at this late date. CA has enough trouble with fixing their usually buggy releases.

I moved the steam location to drive d. You can either do that or not.
    Work of God

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Turbo. I think you miss the point. The game/Steam can be installed anywhere but the save game is still by default in C drive. Unless someone know how to change that with Win7 I'll be glad.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

couldnt you just set your %appdata% environment variable to D?
    like: %appdata% = D:\Users\<windows user here>\AppData\Roaming
    it might work because i think shogun 2 is getting the environment variable %appdata%

Here is a quick guide:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Vista / Windows 7

In Vista and Windows 7 editions application data is organized into two folders namely local and roaming. The default appdata registry key points to the roaming folder location where as a new registry value 'Local Appdata' is introduced to point to the local appdata folder.

In Windows 7 we can change application data folders location using GUI also. You can open application data folder by running appdata from Run window. right click on the folder for which you want to change the location, click on location tab and specify the new path of the folder.

As with Windows XP, we can change the location by editing registry key too.

To change local application data folder we need to run the below command.
    reg.exe add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "Local Appdata" /t REG_SZ /d /f
    To change roaming application data folder the command is:
    reg.exe add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v Appdata /t REG_SZ /d /f
    source: http://www.windows-commandline.com/2...-location.html

hope i could help!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Thanks.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the tip.

Still, it would be nice to be able to designate the savegame location from the game's interface (or at least via the installer...)

Quote Originally Posted by shinegun View Post
    couldnt you just set your %appdata% environment variable to D?
    like: %appdata% = D:\Users\<windows user here>\AppData\Roaming
    it might work because i think shogun 2 is getting the environment variable %appdata%

hope i could help!

shinegun - your idea had quite a bit of merit - but here's something I read from a guru on Data Storage Systems: This post (and take a look at the rest of the discussion) shows why -- at least with an SSD -- that shifting the entire appdata path to a different drive might not be the best solution... Thought you might like to see this.

Goes back to my original point: it would be a nice feature for the devs to give the player a choice of save game location (not strictly gameplay related - but it does affect the user experience - especially if the save game files are in the neighborhood of 80-90 Mb like they were in Empire...