Thread: just a quiet cry for help (re Odyssey)

Default just a quiet cry for help (re Odyssey)

i am looking for sort of background info regarding the Odyssey, for various reasons, i have read it but as with every thing you don't often pick every thing up on the first read, if anyone can point me towards the direction of to usefull interpretations or give your own it would be much apreciated.

"time is no power or force, the passage of time mearly weathers the heart and soul of heros" anon

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: just a quiet cry for help.

Well the Odyssey is simple. You have Ulisses cursed by Poseidon because he blinded the cyclop that as is son. That's the main history and the obstacles that Ulisses found in traveling back to is home.
    A side story is how Penelope as hable to elude the pretendents during that years. The climax finaly Ulisses return, slays all is enemies with is son and live happily ever after in is island kingdom.
    Proud member of EB: Novus Ordo Mundi

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Ulisses
    Odysseus. Screw Rome

i got the genral plot, like the storm on the way home, the ambush, lotus eatters, the cyclopes, the second storm, the hydra ( i think its the hydra?) then killing the suitors at home. then as you say the penelope sub plot. i was sort of looking for links to literature.

and i agree with bull3pr00f, screw the romans, they hated odysseys for divising the trojan horse, given that they suposedly desended from trojans.

"time is no power or force, the passage of time mearly weathers the heart and soul of heros" anon

Ah, you want to know about the Odyssey. That's fine, I thought you were heavily depressed from the title of this topic lol.

Default Re: just a quiet cry for help (re Odyssey)

yeh i probably should have been far clearer in the title, hehe, thanks for re naming the thread.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: just a quiet cry for help (re Odyssey)

Quote Originally Posted by jib1 View Post
    i am looking for sort of background info regarding the Odyssey, for various reasons, i have read it but as with every thing you don't often pick every thing up on the first read, if anyone can point me towards the direction of to usefull interpretations or give your own it would be much apreciated.
    Structure is the first important aspest: The whole thing is carefully layed out from the beginning. The whole first section outlines the programme and starts the movemetn of a very long work; divine intervention in the life of long suffering hero Odysseus to bring him home to Ithaca
    The behaviuor of the Gods is an important aspect of the play also; they have feelings concerns for mortals, through the play we learn of the love felt for Odysseus by Athene- the grey eyed, hatred of Posiedon- the earth shaker. They also have human like interactions between themselves. It also tells us of the importance of winning over the Gods with sacrifice and devotion.
    Nostoi, is the central theme of the epic cycle. Homecoming of Odysseus, but the play makes references to the nostos of other heroes- including Agamemnon- is nostoi wasn't very successful though as he was murdered by Aegisthus. The other homecoming are taken up in the Trojan cycles- of which unfortunately scraps survive.
    Xenia or Xeinie is another important theme of the epic cycles, in particular Odyssey.Hospitality shown to guests. In short anyone has to provide the bare mimimum to any visitor for example in Odyssey 6.191-228 Princess Nausicaa, find Odysseus washed up on the beach- she is oblidged under the custom of Xenia to offer him the essentials for his survival.
    ".....since this is some poor wanderer who has come to us,
    we must now take care of him, since all strangers and wanderers are sacred in the eyes of Zeus" (Odessey 6.206-208)
    The key is the host expects nothing in return, but can expect vengence if Zeus were to be dishonoured.
    Once a guest is treated to this hospitality by a host as Xenos -a bond is formed. The word Xenos can mean both guest and host and is a reflection of thr reciprocity of the relationship. Not only do they become frinds or Xenoi, but the frinedship is herditary. For example Telemachos visits Nestor
    "No, no , in my house the beloved son of Odysseus shall not have to go to sleep on the deck of a ship, as long as I am alive and my sons after me are left in my palace to entertain our guests, whoever comes to my household" (Odyssey 3.352-35)
    Areté and Timé or virtue and honour are also very important themes throughout the whole epic cycles, a good example of how not to behave are the suitors- abusing Xenia
    I hope that has been some help in understanding Odyssey better! If I you have any questions ask. I am not an expert but I have spent a rather long time studying Homer in university, best most fascinating part of my studies yet

Signature made by Joar