Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini Preview: Event Images

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Mini Preview: Event Images

I, for one, like the mini-map.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Also the name Englalond really annoys me, especially considering that I can't find any reference to the name! Where did you guys find that name, and why would you implement it?
    Try using something else then regular google.

A map with the name Englalond

Another link

(4) The Anglo-Saxons called their new land Englalond and their language Englisc, after the Angles.
    And a book
    Last edited by Horatius Flaccus; February 27, 2011 at 09:58 AM.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Could not agree more, the mini-map looks quite messy in the sense that its hard to tell the difference between ocean and land and see your borders in general. But I'm happy that you will be making changes to it.
    The bit that you have actually explored (i.e. that matters) is shown more clearly, really. I like it this way.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post
    Hi folks. Here is a tiny little bit of eye candy for you. I have been changing a lot of the event images for the game recently from original Vanilla images to authentic medieval artwork. Here are three examples. Opinions are very welcome (as is a bit of rep).

Enjoy!
    I made some event images in medieval style (in Western European style and Persian style) for BC. You can use it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299378

Miles

very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Sanchez View Post
    I made some event images in medieval style (in Western European style and Persian style) for BC. You can use it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=299378
    Looovely! I am happy to use those. That will save me a lot of time. Thanks a lot. Good standardisation of the size of the images too.

We have a lot of our own muslim images but yours will compliment ours greatly.

Tu nombre parece español y entonces, ¡quiero hablarte en Castellano! ¡Muchas gracias para las imagenes!

Edu
    Last edited by Space_Ed; February 28, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Looovely! I am happy to use those. That will save me a lot of time. Thanks a lot. Good standardisation of the size of the images too.

We have a lot of our own muslim images but yours will compliment ours greatly.

Tu nombre parece español y entonces, ¡quiero hablarte en Castellano! ¡Muchas gracias para las imagenes!

Edu
    De nada

Two examples using the images de Alejandro Sanchez. Que Bien!

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Very nice !
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Second set might look nice, but the first suck, as they are both unnecessary and way worse than what the game has.
    I thought the mod was a means to move forward not replace 'decent' with 'horrid' crap just because it was done in the Dark Ages and adding pointless size to what I guess will already be a titanic exe to run.

But you guys seem hell-bent on removing any trace of the old game. Nice in theory but careful not to shoot yourselves in the foot.

Aces and respect!

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

@Messeremb: I cannot even remember what the equivalent artwork in vanilla looks like, it's that unmemorable. Contemporary artwork is therefore IMO a huge improvement.
    Also, I think both sets of images look fine, though the first set could need some sharpening, as could the first image in the second set.

clone's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Messremb View Post
    Second set might look nice, but the first suck, as they are both unnecessary and way worse than what the game has.
    I thought the mod was a means to move forward not replace 'decent' with 'horrid' crap just because it was done in the Dark Ages and adding pointless size to what I guess will already be a titanic exe to run.

But you guys seem hell-bent on removing any trace of the old game. Nice in theory but careful not to shoot yourselves in the foot.

Aces and respect!
    in the contrary i like them. they are huge improvemnt over vanilla
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

I thought the mod was a means to move forward not replace 'decent' with 'horrid' crap just because it was done in the Dark Ages
    If you are not interested in medieval artwork and life in the middle ages then I don't understand why you feel the need to comment here. I also don't understand why you are using the apostrophe around the words horrid and decent 'like this' as you aren't quoting anyone else.

just because it was done in the Dark Ages
    You say that as if that isn't a good reason to put those images in. That is an arguable reason why they should go in and replace the CGI.

they are both unnecessary and way worse than what the game has
    Surely even bothering to mod a game in the first place is unnecessary. Why even bother to do anything at all?

And yes a lot of the medieval artwork is 'worse' than the CGI. They lived in the Dark Ages. What do you expect? Pictures from 800 years ago aren't likely to look as flashy as modern computer generated images.

I've added two vanilla versions. I can see how you could say that the CGI for the prebattle image could be better than what I have added but I find it really hard to see how the CGI civil disorder image is better than the medieval artwork I have used.

I like to think that I would be the first to point out what is wrong with work I do and I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement on what I've done here but personally I do think that these images I added look better than in the original. However, it is certainly a matter of subjective opinion and there is no right or wrong on this.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; March 01, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Senator

Two examples using the images de Alejandro Sanchez. Que Bien!
    I particularly like the betrothal image - very nice !

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

I'm pretty sure the second one is an 18th century Indian image

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    I think it may need replacing on grounds of historical accuracy. We have lots of good alternatives though.

Medieval miniature it's really work of art. I can not even compare it with pictures of vanilla, as it's a different level

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    I particularly like the betrothal image - very nice !
    And this variant for Western European culture:

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    It's Persian. General problem of early medieval Islamic miniature in prohibition on the image of the living beings

If you are not interested in medieval artwork and life in the middle ages then I don't understand why you feel the need to comment here. I also don't understand why you are using the apostrophe around the words horrid and decent 'like this' as you aren't quoting anyone else.

You say that as if that isn't a good reason to put those images in. That is an arguable reason why they should go in and replace the CGI.

Surely even bothering to mod a game in the first place is unnecessary. Why even bother to do anything at all?

And yes a lot of the medieval artwork is 'worse' than the CGI. They lived in the Dark Ages. What do you expect? Pictures from 800 years ago aren't likely to look as flashy as modern computer generated images.

I've added two vanilla versions. I can see how you could say that the CGI for the prebattle image could be better than what I have added but I find it really hard to see how the CGI civil disorder image is better than the medieval artwork I have used.

I like to think that I would be the first to point out what is wrong with work I do and I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement on what I've done here but personally I do think that these images I added look better than in the original. However, it is certainly a matter of subjective opinion and there is no right or wrong on this.
    The quotes were to signify the use of the words as a quantification tool; a different font might have worked better. I certainly wasn't advocating the quality of all vanilla stuff.

Romanticizing the Medieval times is the only way anyone would even like them. Take a moment and get your head around your own personal views.
    Before the printing press and later the Renaissance ALL lower classes were completely illiterate. People would get married and start popping kids as soon as they hit puberty. 60% of children wouldn't reach age 20, 1 out of every 3 died soon after birth. Teeth would rot and fall by 25, people would literally throw the in the street in the morning, and baths would be unheard of luxury because of both religious crap and lack of running water.
    Peasants would toil the fields, borderline malnourished and die in an utter animalistic life while the noble class did nothing but strut around, throw parties and jousting matches and collect taxes.
    It is OK to polish things a bit, because most people can't handle the brutal truths of our past and that is my point. The polish of the turds. Find the most expressive of artwork and don't chain yourselves to the unbending law of historical accuracy. (the Indian image is gorgeous)

Keep up the great work.

because most people can't handle the brutal truths of our past
    Well I want people to see the brutal truths of our past. If they can't handle it then they should play something else. I think using grotesque medieval imagery is completely in line with the ethos of DotS.

Your opinion is noted but I think the team would rather present the medieval world as it saw itself in all its uglyness and beauty.

Romanticizing the Medieval times is the only way anyone would even like them. Take a moment and get your head around your own personal views.
    What personal views are they?

I like the images looking grim. We have a drawing done by a monk of cannibalism. The image is really disgusting and disturbing but I do like looking at the picture because I find it interesting. Romanticizing the period frustrates me because I know that it is a lie.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; March 02, 2011 at 07:14 AM.

I like the images looking grim. We have a drawing done by a monk of cannibalism. The image is really disgusting and disturbing but I do like looking at the picture because I find it interesting. Romanticizing the period frustrates me because I know that it is a lie.
    Sounds interesting, could you post that picture?

I agree on the rest of your post, DotS is about the historical medieval period and it's grim reality. Vanilla M2TW and many other mods are available if you want a romanticized Medieval game (which isn't necessarily bad but it's not what DotS is supposed to be).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast