Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini Preview: Event Images

Default Mini Preview: Event Images

Hi folks. Here is a tiny little bit of eye candy for you. I have been changing a lot of the event images for the game recently from original Vanilla images to authentic medieval artwork. Here are three examples. Opinions are very welcome (as is a bit of rep).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Space_Ed; February 28, 2011 at 03:24 PM.

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Mini Preview: Event Images

Very cool!

The map looks awesome by the way.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Great
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Yeah the map is going to be legendary.

Raiven's Avatar Ducenarius

I love the map too!

Looking good!

Artworks look great!

However, in some cases the UI don't really seems to 'fit'. In the second picture for example the 'faction leader' text is almost outside the box where it should be, and the bodyguard unit picture is a bit overlapping the UI a bit.
    Of course that all isn't a problem, but if it could be fixed it might it would look even better and make the whole UI feel more like one single thing.

Looks good - like the orginal, medieval style but still keeping a crispness to the image too

One comment I'd make would be to add a generic border to each of the images perhaps? Just to break the transition from background notification parchment to the image itself and frame the image... just an idea though

Overall, like it

...history abhors a paradox

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by Los San Patricios View Post
    Artworks look great!

However, in some cases the UI don't really seems to 'fit'. In the second picture for example the 'faction leader' text is almost outside the box where it should be, and the bodyguard unit picture is a bit overlapping the UI a bit.
    Of course that all isn't a problem, but if it could be fixed it might it would look even better and make the whole UI feel more like one single thing.
    Well... That isn't really my field. You need to talk to Cedric about that but I have to say he doesn't take criticism particularly well. I am officially banned from editing any of his UIs as is anyone else in the DotS team. So like I said you should talk to him... I would make those changes for you but if I did I would be risking unleashing the terrible wrath of the French. Thanks

Here is a link to his profile where you can send him a politely worded message highlighting your issues with his Southern European UI: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=65699

Quote Originally Posted by raziel_eire View Post
    Looks good - like the orginal, medieval style but still keeping a crispness to the image too

One comment I'd make would be to add a generic border to each of the images perhaps? Just to break the transition from background notification parchment to the image itself and frame the image... just an idea though

Overall, like it
    We have discussed this and ideally I would like to do this. However, first of all I am adding the images. A border may be added later. Some of the original images have borders although I haven't posted any of those examples.

If anyone is interested these three particular images came from the Maciejowki Bible. If anyone has any suggestions for event images, using authentic medieval artwork or modern photos of recreated medieval events, then post them here.

As there is not much in the way of medieval artwork for the steppe factions I think I will use quite a few images from films and documentaries. Most of the artwork I have seen representing the Kypchaks and the Mongols was done by muslim artists and their artistic style betrays their origin and thus I don't feel these images would work particularly well with our Steppe UI.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; February 25, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman810i View Post
    Yeah the map is going to be legendary.
    True

this game is going to be legendary. you guys are already legends in my eyes...
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

to Space_Ed

"Maciejowki Bible"
    Personnally I research the best version available for this great source...I had seen a lot of bad samples, but never the entire document. Some flickr users make great pics, but its all rights restriced etc
    Have you some links mate?

Nice art !

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-Bey View Post
    to Space_Ed

"Maciejowki Bible"
    Personnally I research the best version available for this great source...I had seen a lot of bad samples, but never the entire document. Some flickr users make great pics, but its all rights restriced etc
    Have you some links mate?

Nice art !
    http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtya...wski_bible.htm

I LOVE that minimap! The artwork looks great!

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

For some reason, I've never been fond of the minimap.
    The event images are great, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    I think the idea of trying to make it look like the Catalan Atlas is good but it might need a little more polishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I think the idea of trying to make it look like the Catalan Atlas is good but it might need a little more polishing.
    Again, as we both know, Cedric is the person to talk to about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    same here, it's hard to see with all that lines

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    same here, it's hard to see with all that lines
    Okay, this is getting slightly off-topic, but I agree, the minimap is a bit messy xD

GREAT IMAGES!! SOO excited!!
    Will you please add more! Just 1 or 2 more! Please!

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Could not agree more, the mini-map looks quite messy in the sense that its hard to tell the difference between ocean and land and see your borders in general. But I'm happy that you will be making changes to it.

Also the name Englalond really annoys me, especially considering that I can't find any reference to the name! Where did you guys find that name, and why would you implement it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast