Thread: Shogun 2 Music Names explained

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

Default Shogun 2 Music Names explained

This thread is a resource to explain Shogun 2's music naming system to better knowledge of what music is used when, as there are no folders saying what music is for. (That means better music mods)

To start, I will take an example music file, s2tw_mus23_cmsp1-metamorphosis.mp3. This file is located in sounds.pack/music.

s2tw_mus23_cmsp1-metamorphosis

I have highlighted different components of the file name. Each component is separated by either an underscore (_) or a dash (-).

Green=This field is the name of the song, mostly irrelevant.
    Red=This field is when and where the song is used. The first letter(s) denote where it is used and the last letter(s) denotes when. For example, cmsp1 would mean that this song is used in campaign (cm) during spring(SP).
    Blue=This field is the number of the song/sound in the entire soundtrack. The "mus" stands for music, and the "23" is the number of the song in the soundtrack.
    Black=Which game or media the song was made for. Sometimes this will be "m2tw" or "ntw" to denote that the file is derived from those games.

I have created a list of acronyms and their uses for those who would like to know what the abbreviations in the red field are. Some acronyms may mean more than one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks to Nozehed
    MM = Main Menu
    CS = Clan Select
    BL = Battle on Land
    TL = Tension on Land
    ML = Moblize on Land
    BN = Battle Naval
    TN = Tension Naval
    MN = Mobilize Naval
    BD = Battle Draw
    BW = Battle Win
    BL = Battle Lose
    CMW = Campaign Map Winter
    CMSP = Campaign Map Spring
    CMS = Camapgn Map Summer
    CMA = Campaign Map Autumn
    CI = Campaign Intro
    CB = Campaign Battle
    PBS = Pre Battle Speech

Alternate music There are some tracks which play as alternates to the main tracks. These songs do not follow the same naming system as the majority of s2tw's files do. The file name is the song name and "alternate".
    Last edited by CoconutFred; April 22, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

D|major's Avatar the key of glory

Default Re: [Resource] Shogun 2 Music Names explained

Nice list!! Thanks.
    formerly known as D|need
    m2tw cinematic editor tutorials as video and thread | my total war videos
    the picture of the week subforum with great artworks | my pics and vids gallery
    under the patronage of b. ward

Default Re: Shogun 2 Music Names explained

Great job, very well done

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutFred View Post
    This thread is a resource to explain Shogun 2's music naming system to better knowledge of what music is used when, as there are no folders saying what music is for. (That means better music mods)

To start, I will take an example music file, s2tw_mus23_cmsp1-metamorphosis.mp3. This file is located in sounds.pack/music.

s2tw_mus23_cmsp1-metamorphosis

I have highlighted different components of the file name. Each component is separated by either an underscore (_) or a dash (-).

Green=This field is the name of the song, mostly irrelevant.
    Red=This field is when and where the song is used. The first letter(s) denote where it is used and the last letter(s) denotes when. For example, cmsp1 would mean that this song is used in campaign (cm) during spring(SP).
    Blue=This field is the number of the song/sound in the entire soundtrack. The "mus" stands for music, and the "23" is the number of the song in the soundtrack.
    Black=Which game or media the song was made for. Sometimes this will be "m2tw" or "ntw" to denote that the file is derived from those games.

I have created a list of acronyms and their uses for those who would like to know what the abbreviations in the red field are. Some acronyms may mean more than one thing.

Alternate music There are some tracks which play as alternates to the main tracks. These songs do not follow the same naming system as the majority of s2tw's files do. The file name is the song name and "alternate".

Very good attempt at deciphering!

MM = Main Menu
    CS = Clan Select
    BL = Battle on Land
    TL = Tension on Land
    ML = Moblize on Land
    BN = Battle Naval
    TN = Tension Naval
    MN = Mobilize Naval
    BD = Battle Draw
    BW = Battle Win
    BL = Battle Lose
    CMW = Campaign Map Winter
    CMSP = Campaign Map Spring
    CMS = Camapgn Map Summer
    CMA = Campaign Map Autumn
    CI = Campaign Intro
    CB = Campaign Battle
    PBS = Pre Battle Speech

I made up this naming scheme so I could remember what a song was going to be used for, yet still be able to give it a proper song name.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nozehed View Post
    Thank you, it's always good to have you guys come around and explain things for us modders

Good article and a nice summation of the problem. My only problem with the analysis is given that much of the population joined the chorus of deregulatory mythology, given vested interest is inclined toward perpetuation of the current system and given a lack of a popular cheerleader for your arguments, I'm not seeing much in the way of change.

Thats awesome . I modify the defaut music theme with "the last samourai" theme is greating song.
    Thanks for decode

bernhaland's Avatar Foederatus

How do u open the pack files.
    (i'm a complete noob when it comes to modding)
    I want ROME 2

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

Pack File Manager. (PFM)

whats the difference between campaign battle and battle on land? And for the Alternate songs, what do they replace(alternate)? The main menu song?

Oh and you put BL for two different things Battle on Land and Battle Lost. Maybe make it BOL for Battle on Land? Just a heads up
    Last edited by Lius; April 29, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

campaign battle is played when a battle has occur in campaign screen and Battle Land is played when mille combat has began in battle screen.
    And BD is, I think , Battle Defeat.

FotS added a lot of new songs and doesn't use the same naming system. So I thought about adding a tutorial for the FotS songs and the re-organization of the vanilla themes.

• New FotS music: Datapack: patch_fots.pack -> music -> boshin

All these themes are used in the FotS campaign only.

bat
    Battle themes.
    batd Battle draw.
    batl Battle lose.
    batw Battle win.
    cmb1 Pre-battle music.

cmi1 This piece plays during the short clan introduction at the start of every FotS campaign.
    mob Mobilization themes. They play when your army is on the move but not in a battle.
    ten Tension themes. These play when your army is neither fighting nor on the move.
    main Main menu theme. [Not sure if this is used if you haven't purchased FotS. Can somone clarify?]
    cmm1 Used on the "choose your clan"-screen of FotS

The campaign map themes aren't as clear organized as they used to be. Coloured four your convience.

Green= Spring themes.
    Red= Summer themes.
    Orange= Autumn themes.
    Blue= Winter themes.
    Multi-coloured themes are used in multiple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by FotS campaign map themes
    cm01-genmaicha
    cm02-the_blue_shinanon
    cm03-the_sun_bird

cm04-a_change_of_heart
    cm05-call_of_the_north
    cm06-the_forgotten
    cm07-the_last_drink
    cm08-rock_and_a_hard_place
    cm09-winter's_last_breath
    cm10-the_frozen_pass
    cm11-the_harvest

• Organization of the old music: Datapack: patch15.pack -> music

-> fieldmusic
    -> gempei

The tracks in this two files are used as they were before the patch.

-> Shogun

All tracks in this file are used as loading themes in all campaigns.

-> Shogun 2

Contains the vanilla music.
    The battle, mobilization and tension themes are used in the FotS campaigns.
    Campaign map themes are used in the early FotS campaign.
    Last edited by Terrydertote; April 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks! It was very helpful. But, I think music/sound mods and changing music file names and packing them doesn't work anymore due to latest patch. Do you have any work-around for that?

It works just fine for me, this is how I did it:

1. Extract the music packs from patch15 and patch_fots
    2. Copy all the folders (boshin from patch_fots; fieldmusicans, gempei, shogun and shogun2 from patch15) to one folder named 'music'. It should look like this.
    3. Proceed as usual.

I hope that this helps you.

What about orginal Shogun 2? I cant change music without game crash.
    Its np with FotS, Empire TW.
    I do something wrong? Do i need to open music related file and replace soundtrack or i need to create my own mod file?
    In FotS i manage to just simply open orginal game file and change what i need. Doing so in Shogun2 follow in CRASH.

Can someone post step by step guide to change music in orginal Shogun 2 Total War?

errrrrr...I've found that when I playing campaign games , there is only cm01-genmaicha、cm02-the_blue_shinanon、cm06-the_forgotten three music playing evertimes...

Has anyone found a way to actually ADD music, not replace?
    I added some songs to FOTS as described here, but the game won't play them.

The in game music is good, but I also want to add more tracks if possible.

Anyone have some advice?