Thread: Improvements?

Default Improvements?

Sorry, couldn't come up with a better title.

Hi, some of you are probably getting used to my minor comments.

Anyways, here are some more:

1: I've read somewhere that invading Asia Minor with naval forces is lame and so I've not done so. What I then wonder is; should I take all of Greece and the other regions to the west of Asia Minor first, and then take the boat from say; Byzantium(not sure if it's there since I've not got that far) to Nicomedia(same story here, no idea if the city is there)?

2: As for the first "true" assignment where one is to free all of southern Greece, wouldn't it be easier or (perhaps) better if those cities required to be freed were visual on the map? Like Athens is before you reoccupy it. I didn't have any problems in this matter since I've played around the Aegean quite a few times, (even though the time ran out before I got the bonus 10 000). But others might have a problem finding Chalcis and Eretria since in the description it says somewhat around "... all mainland settlements under Delphoi". Since these two settlements actually are on an island(even though there exist a land-bridge) many people might be eluded by these cities.

3: For this "southern Greece unification"-assignment there is a time limit, however in this particular one, there is no "time-calculator" so one doesn't know how long you have to conquer them all. I mean when you're supposed to free the islands to the left of Olympia and whatnot, the time limit is described in the "three years after assignment is given" - but couldn't find any of that in the first one.

4: Are there any specific paths one should take in this mod? Like I've explained in the first comment I assume that path is the one to take. But since this mod is somewhat a historic depiction - it would be intresting if there was an in-game guide on which settlements(in general) should be taken in which order. By this I don't suggest you should go with every settlement and their names, more like "first you should unify the southern parts"(like the assignment), following succes "you should free the settlements north and around of Larissa"(this is as far as I'm right now). I believe this would also tone down players "skipping" parts(for those who care to follow the guide that is).

I hope some of these comments made sense.

Thanks for this wonderful mod!

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Improvements?

1: I've read somewhere that invading Asia Minor with naval forces is lame and so I've not done so. What I then wonder is; should I take all of Greece and the other regions to the west of Asia Minor first, and then take the boat from say; Byzantium(not sure if it's there since I've not got that far) to Nicomedia(same story here, no idea if the city is there)?
    Some people will blitz a campaign just to hit the victory conditions, I've never understood why people do that, they miss all the glorious wonder that modders take years to perfect. Yes move north until the people you meet speak another tongue then turn east until you reach the heart of Xerxes empire.

2: As for the first "true" assignment where one is to free all of southern Greece, wouldn't it be easier or (perhaps) better if those cities required to be freed were visual on the map? Like Athens is before you reoccupy it. I didn't have any problems in this matter since I've played around the Aegean quite a few times, (even though the time ran out before I got the bonus 10 000). But others might have a problem finding Chalcis and Eretria since in the description it says somewhat around "... all mainland settlements under Delphoi". Since these two settlements actually are on an island(even though there exist a land-bridge) many people might be eluded by these cities.
    These are uncertain times and no general nor king can rely on former ally. The darkness of the Persian horde has made the earth tremble, you must march into that darkness or stay at home and milk the sheep.

3: For this "southern Greece unification"-assignment there is a time limit, however in this particular one, there is no "time-calculator" so one doesn't know how long you have to conquer them all. I mean when you're supposed to free the islands to the left of Olympia and whatnot, the time limit is described in the "three years after assignment is given" - but couldn't find any of that in the first one.
    Some kings live by rules, others live by their wits. You may chose to follow the Oracle or like Leonidis you may chose to swing a cat regardless.

4: Are there any specific paths one should take in this mod? Like I've explained in the first comment I assume that path is the one to take. But since this mod is somewhat a historic depiction - it would be intresting if there was an in-game guide on which settlements(in general) should be taken in which order. By this I don't suggest you should go with every settlement and their names, more like "first you should unify the southern parts"(like the assignment), following succes "you should free the settlements north and around of Larissa"(this is as far as I'm right now). I believe this would also tone down players "skipping" parts(for those who care to follow the guide that is).
    The Oracle is exactly that, a guide, weather you chose to follow her is up to you. Bare in mind this was a time of treachery and uncertainty, if everything was laid out for you you'd lose that element of the atmosphere of the mod.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 23, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Haha, I liked how you made it sound like a poem.

Thanks, but regarding the oracle being a guide; the oracle seems to give missions when certain achievements have been met. Perhaps she could be given retinue(can't spell that other word for it that starts with an "A" like, ancillaries or something like that) on how to follow the intended storyline? Or perhaps even chronicles like in the EoDII mod (a).

Like you, I never understand why people rush, the game loses all of its enjoyment that way.

Blog Entries

Firstly there will not be any work carried out on this mod by the original team. We've all moved on to other projects, or retired from modding.

The histories tell us that Greece was a much divided land in terms of regional feuds but in religious practises they were all reading from the same page, I say reading but in fact the Spartans were not a literate people. What is written comes mostly from the Athenians and they were possibly quite liberal in their stories of Spartan ways. What we know of Spartan culture is that they perhaps took a different view of religion, I would doubt they were very spiritual, it just not very Spartan. Leonidas is said to have side stepped religious law to take an army to Thermopylae. WoS leaves you the option to be a religious leader and follow the oracles commands or to go balls out for total war.

I expected as much(of this mod being done I mean). Hehe I always seem to find these mods after they're "expired".

Anyways I've taken Greece up to Macedonia, where I was quite surprised to find Xerxes - I was under the impression he was in Asia Minor somewhere. But man have that settlement halted my advance, they sure come with alot of full stacks.

Blog Entries

Larissa is the key, if the Persians take it the campaign becomes much more difficult. I'm surprised you caught Xerxes, I've never seen him before landing in Asia Minor..

you must march into that darkness or stay at home and milk the sheep.
    lol
    Sorry for my English...

top 10 favourite mods: RTRVII, RSII, 300WOS, LOTRTW, FATW, HCT, EB, ROP, ARISTEIA, IBFD

Blog Entries

Bumpo...

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Larissa is the key, if the Persians take it the campaign becomes much more difficult. I'm surprised you caught Xerxes, I've never seen him before landing in Asia Minor..
    I killed him right before taking the settlement that resides where Pella is in RTW. (AKA Thesslonica)

Blog Entries

He's scripted top walk back to Salis (I think) but I guess he stops off along the way, being a God King, I guess, can be very tiring.