Thread: Sharpe fans, help me!

CaptainCernick's Avatar Trouvère
    In between Holland, Germany, France aaand... Luxemburg!

Default Sharpe fans, help me!

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell caught my eye lately in the library, but there are so many of them and I don't know which one I should read first. Or can you read them all independently?
    And while you're at it, how historically accurate are they?

Siggy pic courtesy of the uncomparably artistic Atterdag.
    Tacticalwithdrawal
    is my patron.

The Sharpe books are very accurate. Great depictions of places, battles, even good ole Wellesley. Depends if you want to start in India, France or Spain.

I think you should start with Sharpe's Rifles. Btw, if you have Sky Digital, the shows are on the History Channel. You'll find Boromir in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus-Popat
    The Sharpe books are very accurate. Great depictions of places, battles, even good ole Wellesley. Depends if you want to start in India, France or Spain.

I think you should start with Sharpe's Rifles. Btw, if you have Sky Digital, the shows are on the History Channel. You'll find Boromir in it...
    So I can read them all independently? Or are there subseries? What I mean is, if I read, say, Sharpe's Trafalgar whitout having read the other books in the series, I will be able to follow, the characters will be built up properly and the general storyline will be introduced.

Oh bugger. I searched the online catalogus of the local libraries, and it seems they've only got Sharpe's Tiger, Trafalgar, Triumph, Havoc and Escape. Which one of those should/can I read?

Tacticalwithdrawal
    is my patron.

Well, without spoiling it:

Tiger - set in India
    Trafalgar - wild guess
    Triumph, Havoc, Escape - all basically random. If you read into it, you'll see summaries of the past books.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

It's best if you read them in historically chronological order. I'd start with Sharpe's Tiger.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Starting with that book ^^^
    Use the index on the first few pages or the website, and follow up oin cronological order.
    If you skip some books, you may not know who Harper or his dead wife is. You can read them separately because they all have different scenarios in each book, but it is better to start with the first and work up, so you get character deveopement (corporal into Lt. and such) and know more people, and can understand things mentioned that happened earlier (Sultan's jewels and all).

Great. Thanks for the info!

Tacticalwithdrawal
    is my patron.

And thanks for spoiling Harper's dead .... something to the rest of the viewers

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Start either with Rifles or with Tiger, doesn't make much difference since the India and Trafalgar novels were written after Cornwell wrapped up the series. They're prequels, so none of the plots in them impact the following books and some of the characters are never mentioned in Rifles and onwards.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

yeah, but in Tiger you leanr about the real bastard! The Sergeant
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Hakeswill's got to be one of the greatest characters in that series, Cornwell really knows how to make you hate his guts.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

lol too damn true, Pierre Ducos is a real evil gimp also though :laughing:
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

The books in India with the sadistic Obaidiah Hakeswell are great those are Tiger, Triumph, and Fortress. The last two have Colonel William Dodd a real great villain for the books. Trafalger is one of my favs and prey is also good, set at the attack on Copenhagen in 1807. His last two books Havoc and Escape were pretty crap compared to the early books. My fav is Sharpe's battle, set in 1811 at the Battle of Fuentes D'Onoro and the great one eyed leader of the Wolf Brigade General Gey Loup and real bastard as Sharpe would say
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

It's impossible to feel any sympathy for Obadiah Hakeswill. Yes, he had a poor upbringing, but it doesn't excuse his downright evil acts.

My favorite is Sharpe's Eagle, the very first book of the series. From the start, you realize that Sharpe is innovative and smarter than the average bear.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Default new Sharpe series

So I was watching something on ITV (UK) Last night and up comes some adverts for several new drama series. Included amongst them was a new series of Sharpe! For anyone who isn't familier with the Sharpe series, a quick google serch has come up with this LINK which can proberbly explain it better than I can.
    Unfortunaly the advertisment gave no dates as to when it will be screened, just and unhelpful "comming soon".

My favorite is Sharpe's Eagle, the very first book of the series
    Wasn't the first Sharpes Rifles?
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

No, Rifles was written well after Eagle, when they decided to make a series out of it.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron