Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spain?! *Realism Alert*

Leon Trotsky's Avatar Libertus
    I move around a lot. But I am NOT going back to Canada.

Default Spain?! *Realism Alert*

Why is SPAIN a faction? Spain didn't come into existance until 1469! That's only 69 years before the game ends. So spain shouldn't exist until LATE in game. Therefore, the inclusion doesn't make sense.

They should put in Aragon and Castille and possibly Leon. Or something.

Anyone else with me on this one?

(ok, done whining now )
    “You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in you.” - Leon Trotsky

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Trotsky
    Why is SPAIN a faction? Spain didn't come into existance until 1469! That's only 69 years before the game ends. So spain shouldn't exist until LATE in game. Therefore, the inclusion doesn't make sense.

They should put in Aragon and Castille and possibly Leon. Or something.

Anyone else with me on this one?

(ok, done whining now )
    It seems that "spain" is going to represent castile. Maybe leon too, but that isn't historically accurate to have them start at the same time together...

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

I doubt that they wanted to waste 3/4 faction slots (out of only 20) when they could easily be merged into one faction. The same has been done with Russia i think. Also, it would be way to easy as the Moors to pick off each of the factions one by one. "Spain" needs to be one faction in order for the AI to have any hope of holding the peninsula.

Didn't Spain exist in vanilla RTW too?

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by theking994
    Didn't Spain exist in vanilla RTW too?
    No that was iberia and that was about 1300 years before the start of M2TW

lol, but they called it 'Spain' in R:TW.

I guess they also need Spain as partial justification for the addition of the Aztecs. In that case wouldn't it also be logical to add Portugal (which they probably won't)? The pope did declare that any new lands found belonged to either Spain or Portugal.

M'eh, anything that isn't added will be put in a mod. So I shouldn't complain.
    “You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in you.” - Leon Trotsky

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Trotsky
    lol, but they called it 'Spain' in R:TW.

I guess they also need Spain as partial justification for the addition of the Aztecs. In that case wouldn't it also be logical to add Portugal (which they probably won't)? The pope did declare that any new lands found belonged to either Spain or Portugal.

M'eh, anything that isn't added will be put in a mod. So I shouldn't complain.
    They are including Portugal.

Read the IGN interview.

lol, then I stand corrected. gj CA!

I agree with you the kingoms of Castille, Leon, Galicia, La Mancha, Aragon, and even Catalunya where very different from each other, not to mention the Basques in the north that had nothing to do with the spanish. Aragon and Catlunya united to form the Kingdom of Aragon and they conquered the Balerian Islands of the coast of eastern Spain and Valencia from the moors. But King Jim II had a really good point. That for the game it is better after all to have all of these factions together as one and even though they fought amongst each other at the end they united to form Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias
    No that was iberia and that was about 1300 years before the start of M2TW
    Incorrect. It clearly says Spain/Spanish.

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Spain was in the original MTW too.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Ya but it only (incorrectly) represented 2 nations. That is atleast bareable! As the other factions (aragon so forth) were in...but they aren't in this! Infact at the start of the game there was no portugal! And the future creators of portugal were not important for a very long time! So unless it starts at different times like MTW did one can argue Portugal too is Ahistoric. They are boosting the number of factions yes? Hopefully (Spam things to CA?) they dicide to represent Iberia correctly...

I think they should make the faction limit 200, the unit limit 5000, and we can mod all that stuff in later

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke
    I think they should make the faction limit 200, the unit limit 5000, and we can mod all that stuff in later
    I second that motion! lol that would solve all our problems!
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

And for the record the game wont have different eras, just one long campaign, what makes it so difficult to add eras to any game but the original MTW? It was one of the things that gave the game almost infinite replay value (along with the AI performing better in the campaign....which I say was due to the chessboard approach).
    I third DavidtheDuke's eminently reasonable (if not doable) request. :-p

It all should be dynastic, shouldn't it? I mean it's not Spain, it's the Hapsburgs...

Spain just represents all those other factions (Leon, Castille, Aragon etc...)

"Non, je n'ai point de réponse à faire à votre général que par la bouche de mes canons et de mes fusils."
    "No, I have no answer for your general than by the mouths of my canons and rifles,"

-Louis de Buade de Frontenac, Governor of New France

Not having Portugal would be impossible, given the time period. They were the explorers during the Age of Discovery, and it'd completely throw off the last half of the game.
    Playwright. Thespian. Mathematician.

Sure it's inaccurate, but as long as the game is fun I really don't mind.
    "Troops should be few, but they should be excellent." - Lufti Pasha, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (1539-1541)

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmium77
    It all should be dynastic, shouldn't it? I mean it's not Spain, it's the Hapsburgs...
    Not until....like...the napoleonic era. which is...300 years at least after the end of this game?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast