Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Public Research - Medieval Balkan Quotes

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

Default Re: Public Research: Medieval Balkan Quotes

some quotes of Constantine Palaiologos

To surrender the City to you is beyond my authority or anyone else's who lives in it, for all of us, after taking the mutual decision, shall die out of free will without sparing our lives.
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor, Answer to Mohammed II

God forbid that I should live an Emperor without an Empire. As my city falls, I will fall with it.
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor, (May 29, 1453)

Whoever wished to escape, let him save himself if he can; and whoever is ready to face death, let him follow me!
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor, (May 29, 1453)

Man has to be ready to face death when he has to fight for his faith, for his country, for his family or for his sovereign. All four reasons are now present.
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor, speaking to his soldiers, May 29, 1453

Ι surrender to you the famous city and country of ours, the Queen of Cities.
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor
    , speaking to his soldiers, May 29, 1453

We have only two things; firstly our faith to the invincible glory of God, and secondly our own hands and brawniness, that were give to us by Divine Power.
    Constantine XI Palaiologos, Last Roman Emperor, speaking to his soldiers, May 29, 1453
    Last edited by SpyrosM91; June 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Verily you shall conquer Constantinople. What a wonderful leader will he be, and what a wonderful army will that army be!
    The Koran

Can somebody find were excactly it is stated?? thanks

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

i am sure that Tureuki knows best

Now Bulgarian Quotes :
    “ Stupid would be the blacksmith who instead of taking the hot iron with pincers takes it with his hands. He himself would be ridiculed by the Bulgarians if he risks not his large and strong army but his own body.”
    Michael III Shishman ,Emperor of Bulgaria Answer to the offere for a duel by Andronikos III .

“ Nobody of our first tsars seems to us like this great emperor Ivan Alexander, in his military power he looks to us like a second ancient Alexander the Great, in faith and piety he is a second Saint Constantine; he captured thus all his enemies, put them under his knees and established firm peace in the Universe. ”
    —Praise to Ivan Alexander by an anonymous contemporary of the tsar
    Last edited by Bagatyr; June 24, 2011 at 01:54 AM.

Its knowing as one of the Hadiths(Prophet's words not Quran) in the Islamic world If its not a fake Hadith to motivate army.

Its pretty long I know but I'll share

Suleiman the Magnificent's letter to Francis I of France

" I am Sultan of Sultans, Khan of Khans, Crown giver of the Kings, Shadow of the Allah in earth, Sultan of the Mediterranean, Black Sea, Rumelia, Anatolia, Azerbaijan, Damascus, Aleppo, Egypt, All Arab lands and Yemen, I'm the Son of the Sultan Selim Khan and you're the King of the province of France

You sent emissaries to my gates, you ask for the help to rescue you from prison and save your invaded lands.

Your words was came to my crown which rules the world, defeat and imprison is the nature, keep your hearth comfortable"

Sorry I translated it myself so there would be wrong translates.

Quotes

- Söz ola kese savaşı, söz ola kestire başı.(There is words which provide to finish the wars, there is words which cause the heads to be cut)

Turkish proverb
    Last edited by Tureuki; June 24, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Haha, Suleiman's text reminds me of this:
    Form of adress to the Bulgarian ruler from the diplomatic form of the Egyptian sultan's secretary Al-Kalkashandi (1353-1419)
    His Majesty the malik, the noble, the honoured, the esteemed, the hero, the lion, the brave, the true Angelos, the true Komnenos, this ... [insert tsar's name here], the pillar of Christianity, the one ruling over Serbs and Bulgarians, the jewel of Jesus' people, the treasure of Christ's community, the hero of the seas, the defender of the strongholds and the border forts; his title is "ruler of the Bulgarians".

"The hero of the seas" cracks me up the most.

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

hahahah great finding Nike

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Here are some that can be used :
    "To begin a war you need 3 things: money, money and money." - italian ( I think it was Niccolo Maciaveli )
    "It's easy to be brave behind the castle walls" - welsh

Quote Originally Posted by 2Shy View Post
    Here are some that can be used :
    "To begin a war you need 3 things: money, money and money." - italian ( I think it was Niccolo Maciaveli )
    "It's easy to be brave behind the castle walls" - welsh
    Topic: Public Research: Medieval Balkan Quotes
    Proud Tsardoms: Total war Concept Artist.

Best of my work for Tsardoms: TW [link]
    thinkerman.deviantart.com/

well i suppose we can include Macchiavelli....he fits our time-frame...and Frorence will be a faction, apart from a region...

but the welsh proverb is entirely off-topic.....

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosM91 View Post
    but the welsh proverb is entirely off-topic.....
    Yup,but is still hilarious !

May i add this if it wasnt added?
    "This land does not belong to me,neither to you,it belongs to the children of the children of our children"

EDIT: Stephan Musat,or some may know him as Stephan The Great

Bitka na Rovinama Житије деспота Стефана Лазаревића, у којем је забиљежио предање да је уочи битке Марко рекао Драгашу: „Ја кажем и молим Господа да буде хришћанима помоћник, а ја нека будем први међу мртвима у овом рату.“

Bitka kod Velbuzda За његове стрелце, савремени српски описивач битке наводи: „... ни су стрељали са обе руке и никако нису грешили“.

„А ови после велике битке и страшне борбе која је била тога дана, и од проливања толике крви тих безбожних и поганих народа, који су дошли на српску земљу са овим царем, рећи ћу да се и сама та река Струма сва изменила у крв, јер беху сасецани као и пољска трава,...“ (Данилов ученик)

„А сутрадан после те силне битке, пошто је био сабран цео сабор овога превисокога краља у дан недељни, и у први час дана, пошто су приносили војници његови много злато и царске хаљине и небројено богатство, прекрасне коње овога бугарског цара и силе његове, што се подигоше на отачаство овога превисокога, јер ево сву славу њихову и богатство, које имађаху,...“ (Данилов ученик)

„И све велможе тога цара, које ухватише у рату, све ове приведоше пред лице господина краља, имајући железне окове на својим ногама. Многи од њих нису веровали да је погубљен цар њихов, но су мислили да је избегао смрти у тој великој борби, и изненада заповеди господин краљ да се изнесе мртво тело овога цара. А они видевши истину, горко заплакаше,...“ (Данилов ученик)

„А позавидевши злоненависник ђаво нашем добром животу, у злонарављу подиже на нас седам царева, да речем: и цара грчког Михаила и брата његовог Белаура, и Михаила цара Бугара, и Басарабу Иванка таста му, цара сумеђ (у суседству) живећих црних Татара и све господство јашко и осталу с њима господу. Сви ови су пришли на нас, хотећи по неразумљ својему, прождрети нас и земљу отачаства нашег разделити себи, у ропство њима предати...“

Can someone translate it?

a note... we don't want very big quotes, more than a line or two, because then the players won't have enought time to read it during the loading times.... as you can see, it's a technical issue....

Quote Originally Posted by uB1C4 View Post
    Bitka na Rovinama Житије деспота Стефана Лазаревића, у којем је забиљежио предање да је уочи битке Марко рекао Драгашу: „Ја кажем и молим Господа да буде хришћанима помоћник, а ја нека будем први међу мртвима у овом рату.“
    Here is my try about this one:

Battle of Rovine, King Marko to despot Constantine Dragash : "Lets say I pray the Lord to help the christians, and may I be the first one to join the dead in this war."

Edit:
    here is another translation I just found in wikipedia of the same quote:

"I pray the Lord to help the Christians, no matter if I will be the first to die in this war."
    Last edited by Thinkerman; February 24, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

"The poorest hemp-spinstress shall be as free as a priest shall." (Dušan's Code, article 64 - On Poor Women)

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkerman View Post
    Here is my try about this one:

Battle of Rovine, King Marko to despot Constantine Dragash : "Lets say I pray the Lord to help the christians, and may I be the first one to join the dead in this war."

Edit:
    here is another translation I just found in wikipedia of the same quote:

"I pray the Lord to help the Christians, no matter if I will be the first to die in this war."
    This is a really nice quote, shows the difficult position the Serbians were in, fighting alongside the Ottomans against fellow Christians.

Here can be found some interesting quotes:

The code of Dushan

http://www.dusanov-zakonik.com/indexe.html

Hm... I found this quote a while ago:
    "Не постоје немогуће мисије и неосвојиве битке, постоје само лоши освајачи" - Цар Душан
    "There are no impossible missions, nor are there battles that can not be won, there are only poor conquerors" - Tsar Dushan
    I seem to be unable to verify its authenticity, though. Any help there? Genuine or fake?
    Last edited by Son of Serbia; April 21, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Public Research - Medieval Balkan Quotes

"\Vazul's Ghost/: The Sultan goes hunting with more followers then were in your army.'
    Vlad Dracul mocking Janos Hunyadi on his defeat at Varna. (Can't remember the date, sorry)"

Except the ironic part of his quote is that right before the Battle of Varna started, Vlad and his troops ran away from the battlefield.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast