Thread: Parley

Default Parley

Who els would love to see a Parley system put in the game. It would be cool you could find out why the enemy is on your land and mabe get them off without bloodshed. Or you could win a battle by makeing terms that arn't to unfaire and your fictum may agree to them. Every thing would be determind by how powerful your army is and how Intimadating your General is face to face. Parleys were very common wern't they. I also wish they would allow your to attack a city more then once if you dont manage to take the city frist time around. Its stupid if you dont take the square the frist time your army just runs away like you lost the battle. Even tho you still have hundrids of troops at your disposal.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

I have to agree on both points there. Parley would be a great addition to the diplomacy system, though it would mean nothing if the AI was again complete ****. Imagine making a parley and then the next moment being attacked. God, I hate RTW AI. The current diplomacy system in RTW is actually pretty good, just generally meaningless in the face of retard AI.

Also on sieges like you said, there should be multiple battles. Sometimes I might want to weaken the garrison abit with a commando raid or some cool crap like that. Other times it could develop into a Stalingrad situation with control of the city split between the attacker and the defender.

I really hope we get exciting sieges this time around not some RTW Zzzzzzz generic towns.

Damn I'm dreaming again..
    "A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist."

The diplomatic system in RTW was so bizzare...
    I remember britons asking for cease fire,they had like 2 towns left,and i had 10 times bigger armies then they had next to them,and next turn they attack my city alesia...wtf?!

Anyway...i want a feodum system,and i also want a food system,where you cant move enough trops from your home nations,cause of lack of food,and just a limit amount of soldiers can be in each regions,or else it cause starvations etc...

Vicarius

Parley system seems like a great idea, but I don`t think CA will implement it and it won`t be so very cool if the AI sucks.

Quezcatol the food system you suggested that limits the amount of soldiers will also limit the amount of soldiers in a battlefield and thus wouldn`t be any fun. It would be better with a supply line system as suggested in another thread

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

The current diplomacy system in RTW is actually pretty good
    you're joking right? even Imperial Glory had better diplomacy than RTW

The diplomatic system in RTW was so bizzare...
    I remember britons asking for cease fire,they had like 2 towns left,and i had 10 times bigger armies then they had next to them,and next turn they attack my city alesia...wtf?!
    I remember when I captured all but one of gauls cities, they had no army left only the faction leader and a warband unit. So for fun I asked for cease fire, and they responded "no" !?!?!?!?
    Quite frankly gaul should have asked for a cease fire long before I got them cornered. Once I had destroyed their 2 main armies they had only small city garrisons left, but they refused to ask for a cease fire...so stupid.

The diplomacy system is pretty good, and leaps and bounds from MTWs, but the AI is too stupid to use it properly.

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    I remember when I captured all but one of gauls cities, they had no army left only the faction leader and a warband unit. So for fun I asked for cease fire, and they responded "no" !?!?!?!?
    Quite frankly gaul should have asked for a cease fire long before I got them cornered. Once I had destroyed their 2 main armies they had only small city garrisons left, but they refused to ask for a cease fire...so stupid.
    That happens very often, but what is even more stupid is when the enemy wants you to become their protectorate. In BI I played as the goths and the romans told me to become their protectorate and I made an counter-proposal of them giving me 10 000 to become their protectorate and they agreed. The same or next turn they attacked me, and this happened like 10 times in one campain.
    Thats how good the AI diplomacy is....

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    you're joking right? even Imperial Glory had better diplomacy than RTW
    No, the diplomacy is good. It offers a pretty wide selection of options. However, like I said, the AI can't ultilize it properly. If the AI were to be smarter THEN diplomacy would have worked. In its current state it doesn't because of retard AI.

This effectively sums it up,

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kal
    The diplomacy system is pretty good, and leaps and bounds from MTWs, but the AI is too stupid to use it properly.
    "A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist."

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

No, the diplomacy is good. It offers a pretty wide selection of options. However, like I said, the AI can't ultilize it properly. If the AI were to be smarter THEN diplomacy would have worked. In its current state it doesn't because of retard AI.
    well like you said, the options are of no use if they don't work. I mean you can even "declare war" through diplomacy on someone.

Although I think by far and away the largest problem with the RTW AI is that it's far too content to hole itself up in cities. If you approach 3 towns with a 900-strong army, and the towns have 300 troops in each, the AI will just sit there instead of doing the sensible thing and gathering together a large army to meet you in the field.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Ahh, the classic RTW diplomacy debate, is more diplomacy options really better if the AI sucks with them that much. On one hand, you have a nice variety of options, a very good system. On the other hand, do you really have any options at all if they don't work?

Not that I have seen this discussion before... I enjoy it every time though.

A new diplomatic option like that would be interesting, but would be difficult for the AI to handle, unless they made it very simplistic.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Simple means easier to program means it will work means they have something to build upon.
    I believe scripting will be used more in MTW2 than it was RTW, so things like this will hopefully be possible,

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

I would like to see a surrender option myself, both on the strategic and tactic level. So if you have a full stack army you won't have to chase down the squimpy 3 units of peasants, they'll realise the situation is hopeless and surrender.
    And on the battle map if you have killed the enemy general and half his army, instead of chasing down every single enemy unit, you could just accept their surrender.
    I also would like to see a "truce" option, similar to the one in the close combat series. This option simple ends the battle and let you fight on the next turn. This would be especially usefull in sieges, you could make hit and run attacks and other tactics that is impossible to do know in Rome.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

RTW's diplomacy was better than MTW's, mainly because the only two responses you'd get for a proposal in MTW were "Yes" or "Go boil your arse."

They should take a que from Civilization IV. The AI's actually smart in that one.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Ay, we can hope that they will steal with pride...after all, where did the campaign map come from I wonder...

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004