Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTD - From nowhere!

Icon9 CTD - From nowhere!

Hi, I've been playing this mod the past three or four days. I'm doing the obvious and playing as the romans and I've grown quite fond of the shaping of things in that campaign, it really felt like the 2nd Punic war.

Anyways; now when I try to load it, the bar gets filled up and then I get a crash to desctop. I would really appreciate help if there is anyway I can;

1: Remove the CTD's from my current campaign.
    2: (If #1 is not available) Make sure the CTD's are removed from any new campaign I might start.

P.S; If there is any information you need I'll try my best to give it.

As for the campaign; It's 0-turn based.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: CTD - From nowhere!

When did the CTD occur? Mid-battle? After you'd just finished a battle? SOme other time? The CTD sounds like it may have corrupted your save or some such thing preventing it loading. THe way i protect myself in case i suffer a ctd is to make multiple saves so you dont have to start all over again if one save breaks. (I only started doing this recently due to a cataclysmic CTD i suffered with a Pontus campaign on RS2, which made me have to start all over again.)

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Can you start a new campaign, if so then it's probaly a corrupt save.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    When did the CTD occur? Mid-battle? After you'd just finished a battle? SOme other time? The CTD sounds like it may have corrupted your save or some such thing preventing it loading.
    Nope, since there were no serious fights at the time(pushed back the carthegineans to Iberia, the Arvendi playing passivly for some reason(we are at war and we have a large border-face towards eachother), the macedonians have been rather quiet after I've taken Edessa and Apollonia.

The thing is - it came right out of the blue. I havn't conquered any new cities for a while, I havn't fought any battles(except for some autoresolves where the odds were about 20:1 in my favour and such) - So I really have no idea what might have caused it.

I actually tried modding it with a sub-mod after(think it was 1-turn enhanced 5 good emperors - or something of the sort), there I played as Armenia and after a handful of turns(about 10-15) I got a CTD there too.

Would it help if I reinstalled my whole RTW-"collection". I can perhaps put up an image of my mods and whatnot. Be right back!

What are your specs?

Alright, following pictures will be numerous taken for someone to maybe spot something wrong, I don't know if it has all that much meaning - but remember that I've installed the "5 Good emperors" submod, if this would change things - it's better to know than find out. Description is within spoilers.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This picture is taken to show you that I do have multiple mods installed(all on "D:" instead of the classic "C:"), but all are copies of my original-RTW folder located in the "C:"-drive.

<script src='http://img98.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

This is my original RTW-folder, I can't spot anything wrong with it, but perhaps someone else can. It shouldn't be of importance - but I have the golden edition(vanilla and BI in the same disc that is - could be useful to be aware of, who knows).

<script src='http://img141.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd2.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

This is my RS2 folder, like I've said - I installed the submod as you can see.

<script src='http://img8.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd3.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

This is my roman campaign save-file, perhaps you can see something wrong with it just by looking - what do I know.

<script src='http://img834.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd4.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

This is another picture of my RS2 folder, this time to make sure I've put my RS2 files(see next picture if you are unsure of which I mean) in the right folder.

<script src='http://img152.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd5.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

These are then the files I meant in the previous description.

<script src='http://img213.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=ctd6.png' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Thank you in advance for taken an intrest in helping out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    What are your specs?
    Hmm? Specs?

P.S: If required I would remove every mod, and reinstall the game(since I've either grown a bit tired of those mods, or I'm done with them). Anyways, I'm just trying to find a diffrent aproach, since this CTD issue has been pestering pretty much everyone it seems, perhaps there are some tips to avoid having to reinstall, thus skipping that whole precedure.
    Last edited by a-woowie.doowie; February 19, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Computer specs.And those pictures are so wonky and small they hurt my eyes.I'd say just reinstall everything(Not including the other mods)

Just another question:

I tend to save before an autoresolved battle. If I lose it where I obviously should've won had I played myself - I simply reload straight from the campaign map.

Could this possibly be a cause for "saved-file corruption"? This is just something I came to think about, since I'm pretty much always doing so and I have had my share of corrupted saving-files.

I'm now "conducting a test" whether, not reloading from the campaign map has any improving affects.

Never rely on only one savegame. I always have 7 saves for each campaign and I rotate them between turns. This is a good way to avoid CTD's, because u never know when one might hit u. This way if u get a CTD u can roll back 1 or 2 turns or more if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by a-woowie.doowie View Post
    Just another question:

I tend to save before an autoresolved battle. If I lose it where I obviously should've won had I played myself - I simply reload straight from the campaign map....

lol. thats must be ur problem dude.

the devs have repeated it to exhaustion
    If youre gonna load another campaign you have to exit the entire game. Cuz the script doesnt get terminated by itself.

Also, they say never to use Auto saves or quick/buggy saves since theyve been proved to get corrupt.
    And please tell meh youve been activating the script
    lol

hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dramatic Cat; February 23, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
    "By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

Quote Originally Posted by lolzillaXD!!! View Post
    lol. thats must be ur problem dude.

the devs have repeated it to exhaustion
    If youre gonna load another campaign you have to exit the entire game. Cuz the script doesnt get terminated by itself.

Also, they say never to use Auto saves or quick/buggy saves since theyve been proved to get corrupt.
    And please tell meh youve been activating the script
    lol

hope this helps.
    Yeah I expected as much, that's why I've stopped now and I havn't run into any problems as of yet - I'm also defragmenting for the first time in ages and wow what a defragmentation it was hehe - 54% fragmented .

The reason I came up with this is due to a description in a Warlord of Sparta thread saying that if I were to reload, I should exit the game. Atleast it's good to know what I've been doing wrong - and yes, I've been activating the scripts.

@Head of the Heavy Chargers; I've been trying the multiple saving system before, but I'm not sure how to organize it. I mean - when I'm to save on say; "save 1" and when I'm to save on "save 2" and so on. I pretty much need a rolling system on how to use it. Otherwise it gets rather confusing for me.

By the way; I don't use quick saves or autosaves - but does it hurt if I save(through the menu) multiple times on a single turn? Do I have to restrain myself to one save a turn?

Thanks for the replies!

Edit; Another thing, before I started the defragmentation, I uninstalled every mod I had so that I could like - "start over fresh". But after I've been given a little bit more information, I'm going to reinstall RS2 again.
    Last edited by a-woowie.doowie; February 24, 2011 at 06:44 AM.

You can terminate the script youself you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    You can terminate the script youself you know.
    How you mean "terminate"? What would it lead to?

So you can load different faction savegames, It dosn't apply to RS II but It's useful for mods like EB.

Nergor's Avatar Tiro

Hi guys,
    I have played RSII with Patch 2.1a one-turn with romans on S/S for three times and every game has ended with a ctd. Every ctd did occur during the turn of the other factions.
    Sry for my bad English.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Nergor View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have played RSII with Patch 2.1a one-turn with romans on S/S for three times and every game has ended with a ctd. Every ctd did occur during the turn of the other factions.
    Sry for my bad English.
    S/S???

Oh and btw - your english is fine enough - you could now even add a question or ask for any
    kind of help.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

Nergor's Avatar Tiro

I have played on H/H, S/S is german for schwer/schwer

I thought It was a different kind of SS....

Nergor;What Turn does It CTD and on what faction?

Nergor's Avatar Tiro

At turn ~ 395 (after Marian Reforms) and at turn ~ 370 during the computer turn of Cathago (if I remember right allways during Carthagos turn ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast