Thread: Max provinces?

Default Max provinces?

Did you all max this out?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Max provinces?

*I'm guessing* yes. At least, the RoPIII map has, and that one has the same amount of provinces as v2, iirc.

No there are around 140 provinces in version2. Atleast I counted something near that long ago.
    Still more than the 100 or 110 of the original (vanilla) game but there is a maximum of 199 possible on the Rome2 engine.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Hmm, than the RoPIII map hasn't hit the max yet.

But too many provinces would result in an overkill of siege battles, which is especially unrealistic for our timeframe.

Not only this - it is already a hard task to conquer all the areas the real persians have conquered. There are enough provinces when playing them.
    But on the edges of the map there could be some more. E.g. in Greece to avoid early elimination of Spartans/Athens or Macedon/Bessoi as well as more provinces in Africa to have Kushites, Egyptians and Kyrenians more busy in conquering rebell territories instead of killing each other early on. Maybe also some more provinces for the Steppe factions cause the Massagetes have only few large provinces.
    And depending on what factions will (somethimes in the future) be included as 20th you can include more provinces in these areas as well. When including Syrakuse more provinces in Italy or when deciding for a second faction in India some more in that part of the world.

But for a mod with such a small team as ROP there are other things important then creating new provinces or maps first. Better is concentrating on new units for the (yet) unplayable factions as well as balancing issues. This would be enough for ROP3.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    Hmm, than the RoPIII map hasn't hit the max yet.

But too many provinces would result in an overkill of siege battles, which is especially unrealistic for our timeframe.
    You could make walls available only in larger settlements.

I mean, seriously, it took like 3-4 major battles against the medians, 2 agaisnt the lydians, 3 agaisnt the babylonians, a couple against the scythians, and about 5 smaller ones against the egyptians.

I'd rather go with a second indian faction/persian rebels/steppe faction than Syracuse.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; February 19, 2011 at 04:45 AM.

Okay, thank you.

Scythians? I thought Darius' campaign was basically a disaster (he didn't lose much but he just didn't find anything to conquer).
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

There were many types of scythians (saka), the ones Darius failed to conquer being Saka Paradraya - the "scythians across the sea".

Most of the empire's eastern territories were taken from northern iranian peoples like Saka Tigrakhauda, Massagetae, Baktrians - all being essentialy the same as scythians.