Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Facts & Features

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: New: Facts & Features

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    I won't be allowing submods.
    If there are modders who have an idea to produce something they can contact us directly to work with us. If it is a spin-off we could allow it as an optional install in a future release, if we officially recognise it. After 4 years of trying to reach perfection I don't want some spotty kids making an arcade version ofour hard work. The team will have total control over any submods using our material. Stainless Steel and others might live off its satellite providers, but we are a very few who have made so much, I won't dilute it.
    i can totally understand where you come from but think of this:
    if CA would have thought the same there would be no DotS
    of course the difference is that you don't try to sell your stuff but still
    would it really hurt you THAT much if people adjust the game the way they like it best?

I think this sub-mod debate is pretty much academic. In order to make sub-mods for DotS you would first have to dismantle the transition system first and not only we would understandably not allow that but it would be quite difficult for most modders out there since it's more regular software. What Ross say might seem harsh but it might as well be the only way of doing it - incorporating worthy ideas and work to the mod directly. But who knows maybe I am underestimating here and we will have more regular sub-mod activity in which case will apply the main rule as stated earlier: only historically accurate sub-mods and no dismantling or arbitrary altering any of the historical features.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Horatius Flaccus's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Basil 11 View Post
    I do see what you mean; there are more important transitions such as those above. However I think there should be at least a trait for having conquered / united France.
    I agree with Basil here. Maybe not a transition, but it would be 'extra special' for England to conquer France or vice versa. If that could be represented in the game would be great.

No pressure though.

About the whole sub-mod debate: I don't think a mod like DotS will attract modders who want to make an 'arcade' version of the mod. Just look at EB, their submods are mostly to make it even more historical (like the City Mod).
    Last edited by Horatius Flaccus; March 04, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    i can totally understand where you come from but think of this:
    if CA would have thought the same there would be no DotS
    of course the difference is that you don't try to sell your stuff but still
    would it really hurt you THAT much if people adjust the game the way they like it best?
    I don't give a about CA
    Exactly, they do it for the money- our work has been for love. It doesn't feel right to whore it out. But really I'm not saying there won't be any submodding- but I think a controlled and cooperative submodding is a much better system since modders can come to us with a direct request or idea and we can accomodate that and have them work with this us rather than going off into different directions that may or may not be contrary to exactly everything we were trying to build up in our project. As Resurrection says though, it's purely academic at this point.
    Let's see what the reactions are when Dominion comes out-- you might love it or you might hate it, but we the team will know that "we did it our way"

Extra update: current mod folder
    version 518
    9129 files
    size: 8.12 GB

compare to Stainless Steel 6.3
    24172 files
    size: 6 GB
    Last edited by Hengest; March 04, 2011 at 07:28 PM.

Wow, looks like I'm gonna have to get rid of a few things before I can DL this

version 518
    9129 files

24172 files
    And you've still got a butt load of coding to do and the transitions haven't been implemented yet right? This is a monster! (Not a bad thing)
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Tiro

I don't give a about CA
    Exactly, they do it for the money- our work has been for love. It doesn't feel right to whore it out. But really I'm not saying there won't be any submodding- but I think a controlled and cooperative submodding is a much better system since modders can come to us with a direct request or idea and we can accomodate that and have them work with this us rather than going off into different directions that may or may not be contrary to exactly everything we were trying to build up in our project. As Resurrection says though, it's purely academic at this point.
    Let's see what the reactions are when Dominion comes out-- you might love it or you might hate it, but we the team will know that "we did it our way"
    Well said for the team to have biased control on the number of sub mods coming out will make sure that the historical accuracy will not be tarnished in DOTS...
    Though as resurrecttion said that its purely academic ... i don't know if in the future people will need to make sub modes this mod is so exact and fantastic .. though i do agree with meneth that people will always want to implement some ideas here and there in form of sub mods ... but to hope to get idea for newer sub mods will be completely based on the popularity of the sub mod... i hope you'll managed to beat SS and TATW for that...

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

version 518
    9129 files

24172 files
    OMG that's really something interesting

Jimmy-j's Avatar Civis

Looks lovely.
    I cant wait to play the game

Well if you will control the content of the sub mods that is good to go but I hope that you won't ban entirely the submods.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Because historically, medieval warfare was very largely based around endless siege battles. That's why you didn't see many great quick, sweeping conquests in our period: warfare was a very slow, grinding process of rooting the enemy out of various fortifications.
    Yeah, that sounds like a whole lot of fun.

I take it there's no flexibility here since you're banning sub-mods? In that case, thanks but no thanks, I'll pass on this one.

Your call, but you haven't seen or tried the game yet. So like I say- wait and see- it's exactly that kind of prejudice and thinking that is why I don't want to open the floodgates to everyone's individual whims.
    The slow conquest aspect might seem like boring crap taken out of context. However when you see the way we have built up the game and the world itself, and when you start to play within the simulation of the campaign with all its features- I am 100% sure that no one will be wanting to speed up expansion, there will be more than enough going on.

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Annes Revenge View Post
    I take it there's no flexibility here since you're banning sub-mods? In that case, thanks but no thanks, I'll pass on this one.
    Kthxbai.

metsikhovne's Avatar Semisalis

I have a question will farms be more valuable? I mean in vanilla building farm adds U like+ 100 gold and pop growth+0.5%. I am not sure but I think farms shall give more than 100 gold per turn

Tiro

well see its not that sub mods wont be allowed.. Hross just said that any idea of a sub mod must be confirmed and approved by them and hence will be implemented on a latter stage.
    Plus DOTS is currently under progress.. when the beta is approved then only will the sub mods be thought about.
    Plus what Hross says is true... DOTS is focused in maintaining its historical accuracy and any sub mod that does not fit in DOTS should not be implemented

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by metsikhovne View Post
    I have a question will farms be more valuable? I mean in vanilla building farm adds U like+ 100 gold and pop growth+0.5%. I am not sure but I think farms shall give more than 100 gold per turn
    Since costs are historical, and therefore much higher than in vanilla, income will also be higher than vanilla (and more historical ).

Yeah we'll just have to test things beofre we release but as Meneth says, that's the idea.

Queen Annes Revenge's Avatar Ordinarius

Your call, but you haven't seen or tried the game yet. So like I say- wait and see- it's exactly that kind of prejudice and thinking that is why I don't want to open the floodgates to everyone's individual whims.
    The slow conquest aspect might seem like boring crap taken out of context. However when you see the way we have built up the game and the world itself, and when you start to play within the simulation of the campaign with all its features- I am 100% sure that no one will be wanting to speed up expansion, there will be more than enough going on.
    I don't care about the slow conquest, honestly I'm just tired of siege battles, field battles are a million times more fun and the AI always handles them much better. Siege battles are repetitive, slower paced, and far less challenging.

I don't care about the slow conquest, honestly I'm just tired of siege battles, field battles are a million times more fun and the AI always handles them much better. Siege battles are repetitive, slower paced, and far less challenging.
    Then you may not worry anymore. One of my plans for the map was to make perhaps majority of PSF battles actually field battles exactly to ease the amount of sieges. Historically most famous battles were fought "of somewhere" and this would emulate it. Technically it will work similarly as sieging the villages (you can wait the siege or attack right away). Currently we are debating whether to use the battlemaps styled as villages (with non-walled town on the battlemap) or regular field battlemaps with town in the background. Both has its pros and cons and I tend to favour regular battlemaps but we'll see. It might make conquest slightly easier but really only slightly.

Of course there will be a lot more siege battles (if you prefer to fight rather than wait the siege) than in vanilla but that's only historical and we are amending this historical feature a bit for gameplay purposes - not eliminating it.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher