Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Facts & Features

Default Re: New: Facts & Features

So the Rum Sultanate has been dropped as a faction I see?

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    So the Rum Sultanate has been dropped as a faction I see?
    I don't believe so.

"Anadolu Selçuklularý (Anatolian Seljuks)"
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    I don't believe so.

"Anadolu Selçuklularý (Anatolian Seljuks)"
    Ah thanks, I missed that. The light blue font is extremely difficult to read (at least on my screen).

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Light blue? It's default colored so it's actual color depends on the skin you use (for example, it's white in Blackout)

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Light blue? It's default colored so it's actual color depends on the skin you use (for example, it's white in Blackout)
    On the generic tan one it appears very light blue but it's probably an optical illusion.

no almohad/almoravid/moors/whatever it called faction? or is it called with other name?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Just got confirmation on the Princess Dowry script and the realistic cash levels set. I think it is going to scare the out of you all. Especially the way it works.

Basically when you offer a princess for marriage the game reads your treasury, whatever amount of money you have this is interpreted as a sign of how strong your faction is. If you are a poor faction you will have to pay more. However when recieving a princess from the AI the richer (more powerful) you are the more money you get from the AI faction in dowry. In this way you have to earn the right to get an alliance with a faction, and usually one dependent on your size and power. Small factions will come to you as 'vassals' offereing huge cash sums for the right to be allied to you.

As a consequence, diplomats are going to be nerfed so that princesses as diplomatic tools are really the only way to gain an alliance, and involving cash. This makes allinace a much more important event and something rare and hopefully lasting

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    no almohad/almoravid/moors/whatever it called faction? or is it called with other name?
    Maghrib (Maghreb)

Come on guys, those names are not that alien?!

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

hey, I'm an asian guy with poor access to medieval european/mediterranean history

I'm not sure about "Anadolu"

in Turkish

Rum Selçukluları or Rum Selçukileri

in Persian(Official administration language)

Seljukiyan e Rum

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Thanks for posting this!

By the way, (you've almost definitely answered this somewhere before so I'm sorry for my laziness) will you incorporate yes/no events like where in Anno Domini and are in Deus lo Volt, like finding banquets etc?
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hross, it is not the Reconquista what that tree represents, but Repoblación (Repopulation)

Tiro

Man you'll have outdone yourself...
    Youll have not mentioned about the mods Meneth is going to add...
    Also nerfing diplomats to make AI use the princesses other than that as a diplomat is a suberb mind blowing fantastic idea... Just the feel of the reading this gives me goosebumps...
    But i also hope youll are not stressing yourselves put physically and mentally out for this project.. i say take your time and release it when you feel its time to release...

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Stress is a major problem actually. But then again Dominion is not just a game anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    I'm not sure about "Anadolu"

in Turkish

Rum Selçukluları or Rum Selçukileri

in Persian(Official administration language)

Seljukiyan e Rum
    The problem is that the name has to be generic so that it can also represent the Ottoman transition.

EDIT: But why are we using the word "Seljuks" then? Should be Türkleri, right?
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

A great feature list, but I wonder something in faction list: Is Aryanam (Persia) faction represents the Great Seljuks/Khwarezmians? The word is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by TuCoT View Post
    A great feature list, but I wonder something in faction list: Is Aryanam (Persia) faction represents the Great Seljuks/Khwarezmians? The word is very different.
    I don't understand that either. Aryanam is from reconstructed Proto-Iranian as far as I know. I think it should be Eran or Iran if we are using a regional name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

'Word Iran is modern Persian so it cannot be used. Alternative 'Eran' is from much older times (antiquity). In Middle Ages the most common name was 'Aryanam' gaining popularity from about year 1000 AD. In any case using any Iran/Eran while historically also justifiable would cause significant confusion imho.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Sorry for my poor English. It's not my mother tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    'Word Iran is modern Persian so it cannot be used. Alternative 'Eran' is from much older times (antiquity). In Middle Ages the most common name was 'Aryanam' gaining popularity from about year 1000 AD. In any case using any Iran/Eran while historically also justifiable would cause significant confusion imho.

Can you inform your source? imho, Eran is accurate.

ARYANS
    The name “Aryan” is the self designation of the peoples of Ancient India and Ancient Iran who spoke Aryan languages. Aryan is thus basically a linguistic concept, denoting the closely related Indo-Aryan and Iranian languages.

─ R. Schmitt, 「ARYANS」, 『Encyclopćdia Iranica』.

ĒRĀN, ĒRĀNŠAHR
    ērānšahr properly denotes the empire, while ērān signifies “of the Iranians.”

……

In the Pahlavi books of the 3rd/9th century the early Sasanian terminology is clearly preserved, e.g., in the Kār-nāmag, where Ērān is only used in the phrase šāh ī ērān and the title ērān-spāhbed (ed. Antia, 12.16, 15.9); otherwise the country is always called Ērānšahr (3.11, 19; 15.22, etc.). The same is true of the book of Ardā Wirāz, (ed. Gignoux, 1.4), where ērān dahibed “the ruler of the Aryans” alone appears beside the geographical name Ērānšahr. In the Dēnkard, 7, the same distinction is generally made (with anērān also designating the Non-Aryans). Here the phrase ēr deh, plural ērān dehān, from the Pahlavi translation of the Yašts, is also occasionally used for the “Aryan land(s).” Nevertheless, the fact that Ērān was also generally understood geographically is shown by the formation of the adjective ērānag “Iranian,” which is first attested in the Bundahišn and contemporary works.

In early New Persian works, especially those depending on Middle Persian sources, the form ērānšahr alternates with šahr-e ērān, (e.g., Tārīḵ-e Sīstān, pp. 6 -7). The poet Farroḵī Sīstānī (d. 429/1037-38), or possibly a later copyist of his poems, still uses it in contrast to tūrān “land of the Turanians” (pp. 99, 256, n. 8). The territory of Ērānšahr, however, came in time to be restricted to the western part of the former empire. In Tārīḵ-e Sīstān (tr. pp. 17 ff.) it is said that “The total area was divided into four parts: Khorāsān, Irān (Ḵāvarān), Nīmrūz, and Bāḵtar [not “Bactria”]. Whatever is located toward the northern boundary is called Bāḵtar; whatever is located toward the southern boundary is called Nīmrūz; and the area in between is divided into two: whatever lies toward the eastern boundary is called Ḵorāsān, while whatever lies to the west is called Īrānšahr.” In the Nozhat al-qolub, (tr. Le-Strange, p. 34) it is even reported (from Eṣṭaḵrī) that “Arabian ʿErāq used to be called the Heart of Īrān-Shahr” (del-e ērānšahr). The general designation for the land of the Iranians was, however, by this time ērān (also ērān zamīn, šahr-e ērān), and ērānī for its inhabitants.

─ D. N. MacKenzie, 「ĒRĀN, ĒRĀNŠAHR」, 『Encyclopćdia Iranica』.

Once more, I'm sorry for my poor English.

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

I understand your faction naming system. You are naming the factions by their regional positions. (e.g. Aryanam, instead of Great Seljuks) Due to this you should check "Anadolu Selçukluları". Maybe you can use a more general name for both the Anatolian Seljuks and the Ottomans. How about "Türkiye (Turkey)" ?
    I know it is a modern name, but Türkiye (means Turkish land) was used for Anatolia since times of Anatolian Seljuk domination.

My second suggestion is: Rűm Türkleri (Rűm Turks)
    As you know, Rűm means Anatolia in Arabic and Persian language (later Turkish), Anatolian Seljuks and Ottomans were born in these lands, so you can use this too.

Just my humble suggestions.