Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good starting factions.

Default Looking for good starting factions.

So I've been playing this for a short time, and I'm mediocre at it. I first tried a Saba campaign and was doing okay, conquering most of Egypt. However, I soon hit a brick wall in the form of Seleucid Thorakitai.

So I recently decided to start up a Carthage campaign. I'm ten years into it and have seized Sicily and destroyed the last real Spanish stack.

What I really want to know is, what are some other good factions for someone not that great like me? Carthage is something I'm liking now. What would offer something similar to them?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Looking for good starting factions.

Once you repel the initial macedonian onslaught GCS gets quite easy, as well as Rome if you beat Pyrrhus. Avoid the seleucids until you're VERY skilled with the economy.

That said, Carthage is the perfect beginner campaign as you get a safe position in Africa and you can take your time to build up.
    Choose your colonization wisely with them as they won't be able to colonize inland, meaning you will have to set up allied governments when you conquer there.

Your elites are powerful but expensive, mercenary/AOR units are a far better choice for the bulk of your troops.
    With a bit of luck you can get your own Hannibal, his father and grandfather are in the starting campaign (Hamalcar will come of age in a few years) so you can make a Barcid conquer the known world!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Try Rome,you have an excellent economy and your troops are superior to all the Barbarians and are perfect for fighting the Greeks.As long as you kill Pyrrus in the first battle your home free.Capua and Patavium are perfect cities to use for the Marian Reforms.

Hamilcar just came of age for me. Also, I don't quite understand the Carthage family tree. Are there multiple families and I can only see which one depending on the faction leader?

The starting tree is too complicated for the engine to display properly, it should normalize in a couple generations though.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Decanus

The Guals are pretty easy as well

I don't really like Barbarian factions, especially when you have to fight Romans. Armenia and Macedonia are also a good starter.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

i prefer TSE and TPE also baktria
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

TSE is definitely not a faction for starters, success there requires mastery of XC management.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    TSE is definitely not a faction for starters, success there requires mastery of XC management.
    But it's the most fun campaign IMO.

i agree, sometimes losing can be fun
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

Indeed it can, but unless you love micromanaging it could be quite a challenge, although you get possibly the most flexible roster in the game.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Macedon is pretty easy and fun, as long as you don't mind every non-family general, and an Antagonid (alexandros, I think) being called 'of Macedon'.

Boycott boycotts!'

Like the others have said, Macedon is a pretty good starting faction. You can beat the GCS pretty easily with rushing most of your starting units south. The only real issue in the beginning, is dealing with Pyrrhus. And after unifying Greece, you'll be given a couple options on where to expand. You can go north into Dacia, which has a lot of good mining provinces. You can go east into Asia Minor, though that'll eventually mean going to war with Egypt, and dealing with a lot of Eastern cultured cities. You could also go west and invade Italy. Though that would mean not having the Marian reforms. Plus Rome can westernize Europe for you if you leave them alone. Also, Rome will beat the Iberians for you, which is a major plus.

Egypt also starts in a pretty secure area and has a lot of good troop types.

So while this thread's still here, can I ask what some intermediate and hard factions are?

im not completly sure but TSE is the hardest, most of the eastern factions tend to be quite difficult

Germany is imho one of the hard factions, thrace I'd say intermediate.
    Parthia could be challenging although that is because they've got an unbalanced roster (which I'm fixing)...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Pontus is hard as hell imo...

Armenia is difficult too...

Baktria is hard, but it gets better...

The Greek City States are probably a simple starting faction. Since you're given an Spartan Hoplite and an Athenian Hoplite unit, taking the first few Macedonian cities should be easy. That'll give you money to start building more units and finish off Macedon. From there, the only challenging part is defeating Pyrrhus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
    The Greek City States are probably a simple starting faction. Since you're given an Spartan Hoplite and an Athenian Hoplite unit, taking the first few Macedonian cities should be easy. That'll give you money to start building more units and finish off Macedon. From there, the only challenging part is defeating Pyrrhus.
    i find the sheildwall overpowered... with the spartan royal guard its unstopable...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast