Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diggy's Arty Sounds (originally for NTW -- also ETW compatible)

Default Diggy's Arty Sounds (originally for NTW -- also ETW compatible)

Diggy's Improved Artillery Sounds

Photo of actual Napoleonic 12pdrs at Manassas Battlefield, Virginia (from my personal archive)

Video created by Nanny. Please rep him accordingly

This is my new artillery sound mod for NTW. It provides a more "punchy" artillery sound for all artillery when fired. It is just the sound of the cannons firing. For impact and explosion sounds I recommend GeraldDuval's sounds (can be found in ETW sound mod thread). (GSs sounds are actually incorporated into most major sound mods anyway but many have forgotten whose they originally were. Give him some rep even though he doesn't frequent these forums anymore.)

DOWNLOAD: Diggy's Arty Sounds

What I have done is combined some of the great GeraldDuval's artillery sounds (recorded from actual artillery pieces) and added another layer over the top from a secondary source. The result is a nice mix between "thundering" and "echo" with a good solid "punch/pop" to really give you the feeling of being on the battlefield. So turn up the speakers and feel the percussion in your chest!

Goes great with my musket sound mod DiggyPoP Muskets.

Installation:
    It is in mod format. Just unzip, drop in your data folder and activate using the mod manager. This mod was originally created in the NTW game files but should be compatible with ETW. Please let me know if it isn't.

EDIT: UPDATED 15 Feb, 2011. Includes more diversified sounds! Occasionally, you will even hear a subtle "whine" or low pitched scream simulating the outgoing round cutting through the air.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by ♔Dignan♔; February 20, 2011 at 01:45 PM.

Albion Dude's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Diggy's Arty Sounds (originally for NTW -- also ETW compatible)

Wow, now that's what I call cannon sound!! It sounds like thunder from a distance with 24 guns firing.

It works perfectly for ETW, excellent work.
    I wish very much that some measures could be adopted to get recruits for the 29th Regiment, it is the best Regiment in this Army, has an admirable internal system and excellent Non-Commissioned Officers. Duke of Wellington, 12 September 1809.
    The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
    Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris, Air Chief Marshal, RAF.

Never in the field of modding was so much owed by so many to so few
    . Bang on! Huzzah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Dude View Post
    Wow, now that's what I call cannon sound!! It sounds like thunder from a distance with 24 guns firing.

It works perfectly for ETW, excellent work.
    Glad you like it

ErikBerg's Avatar Miles

Just tried it out, finally my cannon sound like they actually can destroy the enemy! I even recoiled a bit in my seat when a third rate opened up a broadside. ^^
    Excellent work!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBerg View Post
    Just tried it out, finally my cannon sound like they actually can destroy the enemy! I even recoiled a bit in my seat when a third rate opened up a broadside. ^^
    Excellent work!
    Glad you like them. My goal was for the player to be surprised every time an artillery piece fires and your "point of view" camera is nearby. If you've ever been near one of these when they fire (even blanks) you jump every time.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

so is the artilelry sound a patch or do i need to activate it with mod manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    so is the artilelry sound a patch or do i need to activate it with mod manager?
    Mod manager. Or, if you have the Pack file manager program, open the file up in that and save it as a patch file.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Sounds brilliant my friend,congratulations and well done! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by MorganH. View Post
    Sounds brilliant my friend,congratulations and well done! +rep

Thanks Morgan. I actually just updated the file again. See below.

MOD UPDATE: After playing with this for a while I found a few of the sounds to be a bit much. They sounded more like modern day artillery...too loud for Napoleonic times. So I removed them and replaced them with others that are more fitting. Download has been updated. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Dignan♔ View Post
    Thanks Morgan. I actually just updated the file again. See below.

MOD UPDATE: After playing with this for a while I found a few of the sounds to be a bit much. They sounded more like modern day artillery...too loud for Napoleonic times. So I removed them and replaced them with others that are more fitting. Download has been updated. Enjoy!
    Nice update, doesn't dominate the soundscape like the previous version, thanks!
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Very good work mate.

Quote Originally Posted by shokh View Post
    Very good work mate.
    Thanks!

Really nice work Any chance on getting it to work with DM?

Quote Originally Posted by 1in1class View Post
    Really nice work Any chance on getting it to work with DM?

There's really no reason it shouldn't work with DM. If you are playing DMUC I think there are directions on how to make other mods work. If you are just using normal DM, then just activate my mod over the top of DM.

Yha just checked it out, its going good. Just though this would not work since most other sound mods that are out dont work with DM, but iv got it going and its very nice.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Best soundmod. Especially good is the combination of sounds for the cannons

Does this work on multiplayer?

Would this be compatible with DMUC? I have always thought the artillery sounded muffled, and am very excited about your work on this!

Locain's Avatar Foederatus

Just installed this mod. A very well made mod that in my humble opinion makes the games even better.
    A bucket of +Rep from Denmark mate
    In Actis Esto Volucris

The artillery sounds are still the same. I placed it in the "data" folder of NTW. What am I doing wrong? I am using this mod in combination with General Andy's Musket Sounds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast