Thread: something i am confused on

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Default something i am confused on

are the custom settlements going to be in custom battles or actaully on the campaign map? some clarification would be apreciated

thanks

Default Re: something i am confused on

Custom battles. If I'm not mistaken most of the buildings will be just 'scenery'. Meaning there is no town center to defend.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

clone's Avatar Primicerius

why
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Awwhh I thought like fighting in Paris would have a different map than fighting in London for example on the campaign
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Awwhh I thought like fighting in Paris would have a different map than fighting in London for example on the campaign
    Unfortunately it isn't possible to use the tools provided to create custom cities in the campaign version, only in custom battles.
    I hear a new tool has been created out of hard work which can now be used to do so but DotS doesn't have time. I would be willing to help but i was a bit confused on how it worked when i tried it on holidays, and now i am too busy with uni which i am annoyed at how early some of my assignments are due...
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Are you sure it still is impossible?

The Third Age mod has these unique settlements for Helmsdeep and Minas Tirith (or at least will have them in a future update) and I'm quite sure it won't just be battle maps.

Quote Originally Posted by spanish_emperor View Post
    Unfortunately it isn't possible to use the tools provided to create custom cities in the campaign version, only in custom battles.
    I hear a new tool has been created out of hard work which can now be used to do so but DotS doesn't have time. I would be willing to help but i was a bit confused on how it worked when i tried it on holidays, and now i am too busy with uni which i am annoyed at how early some of my assignments are due...
    I know what you mean. If you figure it when you have time again, please let us know if you can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Los San Patricios View Post
    Are you sure it still is impossible?

The Third Age mod has these unique settlements for Helmsdeep and Minas Tirith (or at least will have them in a future update) and I'm quite sure it won't just be battle maps.
    See spanish_emperor's post above you, but keep in mind that even with this tool there are limitations. It's my understanding that it allows campaign settlement modifications but to actually have numerous unique settlements would require taking up culture slots which we don't really have to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

It's my understanding that it allows campaign settlement modifications but to actually have numerous unique settlements would require taking up culture slots which we don't really have to spare.
    Actually like strat map settlements they can be set at the faction level. They do take a long time though and need to conform to the rest of the game set up for settlements and castles in terms of wall sizes etc.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I know what you mean. If you figure it when you have time again, please let us know if you can help.

See spanish_emperor's post above you, but keep in mind that even with this tool there are limitations. It's my understanding that it allows campaign settlement modifications but to actually have numerous unique settlements would require taking up culture slots which we don't really have to spare.
    the limit of custom settlements is just like the limit of regions on the campaign map i thought arround 300?

the limit of custom settlements is just like the limit of regions on the campaign map i thought arround 300?
    er no its tied to factions as stated one post back. You can create one of each settlement level by faction.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

so, all in all we can have: 2 types of settlements x 5 levels x 31 factions (or x 7 cultures, instead ???) = 310 (or 70) different settlement models for the battle maps....???

thus we can have about 2x31 (or 2x7) specific settlements for uniques cities like Paris, Bagdad, Constantinople, etc.... if we assume that we have chozen to use the 5th level of settlements for unique cities only.....??
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

you can I have I think 11*31=341 different settlements
    (6 town levels+5 castle levels) *31 factions

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosM91 View Post
    so, all in all we can have: 2 types of settlements x 5 levels x 31 factions (or x 7 cultures, instead ???) = 310 (or 70) different settlement models for the battle maps....???

thus we can have about 2x31 (or 2x7) specific settlements for uniques cities like Paris, Bagdad, Constantinople, etc.... if we assume that we have chozen to use the 5th level of settlements for unique cities only.....??
    Any answers on these questions?

Even of only a few unique settlements can be used, wouldn't it still be worth it since some have already been created? Important, big cities like Paris, Baghdad, Jerusalem and Constantinople really deserve their own model!
    Last edited by Landil; July 29, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

correct - 6 levels for settlements and 5 for castles.

Since we are not using the castle/city dichotomy but only cities then in theory we could use the castle slots (per culture) for custom unique settlements. However unless someone would see it through entirely it's not gonna make it into the first public release as we are too busy with more important stuff. Landil is leading this dept now so please turn to him with anything whether it's questions or wish to join or some work (models) to donate. :-)

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher