Thread: Beta BI maps

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Beta BI maps

Has anyone made ab eta BI map, like with two provinces so they can test their new map. If someone could send one my way it would be much apreciated...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Would this be for testing the various map tga's or actual gameplay? For the tga's I've done the stripping down, but I've gone back to testing with the full set of factions and provinces now. I think the map was too big (vanillax4) to get working with just a few provinces. It's a known but poorly documented issue that region size and shape can cause CTDs. Perhaps it's useful for the vanilla map though. If no one else has one ready, I suppose I could write down how to make an "empty map".

Muizer
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I have the tga's etc, and I running testing script for RTW, it would just save alot of time if someone had a test map for BI. Where I could just replace my .tgs and have a working map..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott
    I have the tga's etc, and I running testing script for RTW, it would just save alot of time if someone had a test map for BI. Where I could just replace my .tgs and have a working map..
    Even If you strip the game of all resources, watchtowers and most factions, settlements and characters you would end up having to edit the text files to make them compatible with your tga's or vice versa. The colours in map_regions have to match those in regions.txt and the coordinates of the remaining characters in descr_strat would have to be match a legal tile. To do that is about as much work as stripping the game in the first place.

Muizer
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

The colours in map_regions have to match those in regions.txt and the coordinates of the remaining characters in descr_strat would have to be match a legal tile.
    That takes one minute tops...

MY TWC HISTORY

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

The colours in map_regions have to match those in regions.txt and the coordinates of the remaining characters in descr_strat would have to be match a legal tile. To do that is about as much work as stripping the game in the first place.
    With 2 regions and 2 characters or something like this, it can be done quickly, isn't it?

We call for all help on that. If you are the mapper of a mod for BI 1.6 please contact us, we would just need your working text files, this conversion is slowing down our team.

Hmm well as I said the text files I'm using are far less basic than 2 regions and 2 characters. I tried 3, but I kept getting scrolling CTDs. After I read someone saying he experience the same and still was having problems even with the map split in 40 regions I decided to stick to the regions as defined in the Vanilla txt files. In any case, I'll write down what I did to create my own dummy files.

Always make backups before changing things and regularly test in-game.

1) Changes to descr_strat.txt

Factions section:
    - keep the Hun faction which is the "default faction"
    - concerning other factions, leave in the rebel faction for each of the factions you leave in the game.

Marian reforms-pirate spawn.
    - I disabled what I could. One never knows.

Landmark section:
    - delete all

Resource section
    -delete all

Faction/character sections:
    - keep the faction leader and their army
    - delete all other named characters, captains, spies and diplomats

Character record sections:
    - I kept the faction leader's wife, but that may not be necessary
    - delete all others

Relative section:
    - keep the line with the faction leader (and his wife if you left here in the character record), but delete the names of the children. must end with "end"
    - delete all other lines

Settlement section
    - remove all buildings except the "core" building: the governor's residence. Note that the inhabitant number is linked to the residence level.
    - faction creator must be in the game still I believe (I didn't remove any factions myself)

Diplomacy section
    - I kept core attitudes between all factions in the game
    - I kept the faction relationships as well

Regions section
    -deleted everything

2) Changes to descr_regions.txt
    - replaced the resource line for all provinces to: none
    - if I'm not mistaken the faction mentioned in each third line should be one left in the game
    - the fifth line gives the rgb value of the region. It is through this that all attributes are assigned to a map area.
    - left the rest unaltered, but take note of the following:
    a) the region name that starts each section should match the one in the setllement section in descr_strat (if there is one, regions without settlements are possible)
    b) the region name, the legion name and the settlement name return in:

3) descr_regions_and_settlements_name_lookup.txt
    - list for each region: region name, legion name and settlement name. These are also recurr in:

4) barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlements_names.txt
    - list for each region: region name, legion name and settlement name: two collumns. The left with names between {}, the right without

5) descr_mercenaries.txt
    - the region names found here must exist in your game

6) Descr_win_conditions.txt
    - use existing region names
    - use numbers of regions that make sense for your new map

7) descr_terrain.txt
    - if you changed the map dimensions enter the dimensions of your regions file here.

At the moment that's about all I can recall. There may be some things I changed that I should not. Alternatively I may have left some unnecessary elements in. Comments would be appreciated.

Muizer