Thread: BEF destroyed in Battle of France

Default BEF destroyed in Battle of France

Lets say that during the Battle of France, the entire BEF was destroyed to the last man, and not a single soldier or piece of equipment, French or British, was evacuated to England, even from the post-Dynamo campaign.

What would the consequences be on the course of WWII?

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: BEF destroyed in Battle of France

Not much i think the morale of ther Germans was high after they steamrolled France even if a big part of the BEF got away.The only thing would be a blow to the morale of the British but i don't think that could change the course of the war.

Well they didnt really get any equipment out any way just the soldiers. It wouldn't have affected British air superiority over the British isles or the navy, which would have been the main deterrents to any invasion. Also just killing the BEF wouldn't have stopped Hitler being a tactical moron, he would still have made the same mistakes that led to his defeat in the first place.

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

Given that quite a few top notch officers and most of the trained soldiers available to the UK were present at Dunkuerqe it would have delayed any serious land operation and would have decreased the quality of the leadership. It would probably have made things easier Germany and Italy in North Africa but just how much is open to speculation.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Nothing really serious.
    It was the British fleet and air force which ruined the German plans for invasion against Britain.
    The British Army was no match for the German one in 1940-1941 whether the BEF was destroyed or not.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

It may well have had an effect on early British operations in North Africa- in particular Operation Compass. But seeing as Britain failed to build on these early gains as it was I don't know how substantial a difference it would have made.

Another point is it would have deprived Britain early on of experienced NCO's, and this could have had a detrimental effect on earlier British combat operations. Again though, don't know how substantial that would of been.

I think the main effect would have been the incredibly negative effect it would have had on public morale. It was bad enough that France fell and Britain was left on its own, but at least British propaganda manged to turn the evacuation at Dunkirk into a victory and a demonstration of British defiance. Without even that British public morale would have been very low indeed. Not only would Churchill have taken a lot of flak, but we could have potentially seen public demands for a ceasefire. If that happened it would have meant the war was over then and there. The USSR would have faced Germany totally alone and the United States wouldn't have had a base from which to launch operations in Europe, effectively meaning that even if it did want to get involved it couldn't outside of Lend Lease. If that happened the world could have looked very different. We could potentially be looking at the Axis winning the fight against the USSR, or on the other hand we could have seen the majority of Europe fall under the tide of the USSR if they did manage to win (And if they did, it would have been at an even higher cost then it was in reality)

Some food for thought.
    Last edited by Azog 150; February 17, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Generals Alexander, Montgomery, and Viscount Alanbrooke were all among the last to be lifted from the beaches. Without those men, I'd wager the war going very differently.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Lets say that during the Battle of France, the entire BEF was destroyed to the last man, and not a single soldier or piece of equipment, French or British, was evacuated to England, even from the post-Dynamo campaign.

What would the consequences be on the course of WWII?
    How do you get there to that point?

I mean any what if can be fun but the absolute destruction of the BEF is actually a rather difficult end to what if as I see it.

I don't want to sound deterministic - I think you can say for example what if the a few high pressure and lucky breaks go the other way and Japan comes away from Midway with only one or two CVs lost (and the USN also), on balance I think maybe the evacuation could have be less successful and maybe exacerbated French/UK tension but I don't see a practical way to eliminate the BEF.
    Last edited by conon394; February 21, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

The BEF were lucky they were stranded on a sandy beach. That's what saved them.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

A ceasefire is a real possibility. If that occured....

With the manpower saved from garrisoning the Atlantic Wall and Norway, as well as the resources saved from conducting the U-Boat campaign, coupled with the lack of American involvement on any level, we could well see the Soviet Union crippled before it could halt the Wehrmacht. We'd see Nazi Germany perhaps achieve her wargoals.

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    It may well have had an effect on early British operations in North Africa- in particular Operation Compass. But seeing as Britain failed to build on these early gains as it was I don't know how substantial a difference it would have made.

Actually Operation Compass likely wouldn't have been affected. None of the surviving troops from the BEF were involved. The main formations of the offensive were the British 7th Armored, the 4th Indian and 6th Australian divisions all of which were in theater before the fall of France. For later operations however you have to remove all the British formations that participated in them after being rescued from France.

It would however affect later operations which made use of formations from the BEF not to mention the force garrisoning the British Isles. Then there's the large hit to moral instead of the boost that Dunkirk became. I think it would have heavily accepted Britons ability to prosecute the war and it's strategy in doing so. Assuming that it didn't lead to a cease fire and subsequent peace.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    How do you get there to that point?

I mean any what if can be fun but the absolute destruction of the BEF is actually a rather difficult end to what if as I see it.

I don't want to sound deterministic - I think you can say for example what if the a few high pressure and lucky breaks go the other way and Japan comes away from Midway with only one or two CVs lost (and the USN also), on balance I think maybe the evacuation could have be less successful and maybe exacerbated French/UK tension but I don't see a practical way to eliminate the BEF.
    Panzer formations charging onto the beach and killing everyone in sight?