Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Das Heilige Römische Reich": A Call to Arms!

hyretic's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: "Das Heilige Römische Reich": A Call to Arms!

Thanks for the call in!

Und herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag Hannibal!!!

vonckenLOTR's Avatar Civis

well, i joined!

i'm happy

now i'm gonna work on:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    srry, can tell that

we just sort a lost our second coder to the repercussions of the damn crisis. so we are open for appliances. we really need one, as the last one wasn't quite done yet. so please: Apply!

I want to thank S.P.Q.R Praetorian for what he already has done and hope he will still be able to be a (small) part of our group

I feared something had went wrong.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

What crisis?

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Sad to hear that.

the economical crisis......dunno if you heard of it.....
    sorry people....

What exactly needs to be done? i have free time but am a complete novice. Willing to learn if it means getting to play 0.9
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

the problem is that we need a experienced coder, as most factions still aren't available. S.P.Q.R made a sort of pre-alpha, but without someone who can code in all the factions, we are kinda lost

ok, let me say this really, really carefully:

IF, and I emphasize on IF, we get a coder/multiple coders WITH EXPERIENCE willing to help us, I will support this and drag this mod out of the mod-retirement home. but therefore we need CODERS. no researchers, no novices, real coders. if your interested, PM me

Icon2 Re: "Das Heilige Römische Reich": A Call to Arms!

Hey vonckenLOTR,

I much appreciate your consideration to have this mod finished! ...Myself, I'm no coder. And I know nothing about it at all. So I'm no help.

I don't know if what I'm suggesting means legal issues or is against some "unwritten modder society ethics" or whatever... But can't we just crowdfund this thing? Y'know, making you able to hire someone for the coding?
    What I mean is everybody (who longs to play this mod like me) donates e.g. 1 Dollar/Euro... Maybe experienced coders would be more willing to put time and work into this, if they got a little something out of it.
    - despite the fame, glory and gratitude from us fans I mean...
    (And if there es some money left at the end, have someone translate the mod into German! )

Well, just my two cents on the topic. Great mod. Hope it won't die.

greenheade, what you say isn't a bad idea, although it does have some problems that make it harder:

1. I don't know how big the fanbase (still) is, so we can't estimate how much we will have to hire a coder
    2. professional coders are EXPENSIVE. like really expensive. over the top. and while we might sway a community modder, those guys will probably help if they are interested(in the mod, not the money)
    3. If we let people donate, lets say, through kickstarter, we would be obliged to finish this mod. even if there are some hiccups and or problems we need to solve. I don't want peopleto invest in something if their not damn sure they won't throw their money away
    4. we are still a community and fan driven mod, like all other mods. it would be unjust to ask for money for a relatively speaking small mod if you can get gigantic mods like Third Age, Westeros and Stainless Steel for free

I thank you for your input, but I think we'll try and manage this on a voluntarily basis. maybe if we ever reach 1.0, and then want to move forward. we'll see. at least you prove there is something of a fanbase still standing and that is already really reassuring

You do make some points there... of course I didn't expect you would actually hire some real professional coder. They're too expensive. Rather someone qualified from the community.
    And I also doubt enough would be 'donated' anyway, you're right there. What I meant was raising really just enough money to buy like a case of beer... some fine cuban cigars... and maybe a hooker.
    Y'know, just as a little motivational 'thank you' gift for the person that takes over the job.
    (of course I was joking above, about what the money should be spent for.... No cigars! They're bad for your health!)

However, it's good to hear you haven't giving up completely on this mod. Good luck!
    (I'm sure there is still a fan base of people waiting for a release. But most them are probably quiet folks like me... not posting much around here in general, but when they do, they just talk about money, beer and hookers)

What exactly would a coder do? Coding seems to be different from scripting.

the coding is mostly implementing our already scripted features into the game, while the scripting is making our raw research data and ideas into workable code to be implemented. at least, that is as far as my knowledge goes(im no expert on the subject). we still have some scripts who were finished by previous coders/scripters (most do both), if we can implement that we would already have most of 0.9. but you should talk to an expert about this. I, as (former) head of research don't really no the whole story. may I add, in correlation with ampplicants as researchers, we will accept them when our mod is rolling and secure for more than 3 months(when we are sure we will still work on this mod for 3 months at least)

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Any hope that this will some day get rolling again? I still consider the idea of HRR 9.0 (reginal focused medieval campaingn with large number of counties/duchies) as one of the best mod idea for medieval period. Unfortunately, I do not have adequate coding skills nor the time to acquire them to help this mod.

I am not an expert, but I have dabbled in modding for several years now, and I could at least have a look at what you want done. Even you want an expert, if you can't get one, you should give non-experts a chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12