Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eygpt, the unstoppable super power

Jambat's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Eygpt, the unstoppable super power

My only real complaints with Egypt are:

*Victory conditions tell you to kill off the people who make the most sense to be your allies for the most part.

*Very limited scope of warfare (Once you take out the CS it pretty much becomes kill the guy in front of you, ok, now kill the new guy in front of you)
    I see the better and approve; I follow the worse.

If you liked my post or thought I was helpful, hit that +rep and leave your name so I can keep an eye out for when you deserve some. Unless you suck. Then you aren't getting crap. Ever.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Egypt is a really strong faction, if they are now eliminated quickly, they will dominate the Middle East. Thanks to their superb economy.

@nlovertoom

Wth is with your top 4 factions? Are they not fighting each other? Usually in my campaigns if one Muslim nation is dominating the other is being dominated.

nlovertoom's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ShADoW View Post
    @nlovertoom

Wth is with your top 4 factions? Are they not fighting each other? Usually in my campaigns if one Muslim nation is dominating the other is being dominated.
    No, they never fight one another (at least not in the 20 or so times I have tested.)
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

The Middle East is where the regions are the most rich in the game, the CS is too weak (for the AI) to deal with Egypt (but I'm working on that aspect of their roster) while RW did make a new roster for Egypt that reflect more historically their soldiers. The CS was supposed to be removed from the Outremer in near 1291. And the current unit roster of Egypt is not insanely powerful, but they are numerous and cheap to recruit.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: continuity of deleted post

The battle between Mameluks and Ottomans decided the history in that area of the world for at least 300 years and actually much longer if you include the full scope. Either one winning is destined to be a superpower. Currently the frequency of Fatimids winning is due to the same reason Byzantines win more often... weak Turks. However there will emerge some superpower in that region most likely. If don't like it then need make map smaller or add more factions there which means less factions elsewhere.

It's the only rich map corner which means AI flanks are secure- Moors have to fight through 4-5 factions while Fatimids have to defeat only 2-3 and get alot of help from Mongols attacking their enemies flank.

nlovertoom's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    The Middle East is where the regions are the most rich in the game, the CS is too weak (for the AI) to deal with Egypt (but I'm working on that aspect of their roster) while RW did make a new roster for Egypt that reflect more historically their soldiers. The CS was supposed to be removed from the Outremer in near 1291. And the current unit roster of Egypt is not insanely powerful, but they are numerous and cheap to recruit.
    I am glad to hear that you are working on the CS. I also believe that the Mongols need to be made more aggressive in the furture update.

I respect your efforts, plus rep.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: continuity of deleted post

flankstakes's Avatar Libertus

I agree that the CS is too weak and Mongols seem to like the steppes too much because they rarely reach the mediterranean or the black sea(in my campaigns at least).when I hear the Mongol invasion taking place, I want to feel the chills in Constantinople, or the Baltic or the Middleast !

Ive had games in which fatis were crushed by mongols.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: continuity of deleted post
    Semper fidelis!!!

I think that is what the problem is with Eqypt is stack spamming cheap troops. Take that away and they will still be strong but 90% of every game I've played they eliminate the turks quickly, very very quickly. The Turks need a massive roster overhaul.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I have just been cleaning some personal attacks in here. Consider a line drawn that this stuff (and other things mentioned in the ToS) will not pass. Defiance is not advised.

nlovertoom's Avatar Tiro

If something could come to balance the East a bit better I would very much appreciate the efforts.

Don't comment on moderation or give a moderator personal remarks of your own, stay on-topic.~Ishan
    Last edited by Ishan; February 15, 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Melias's Avatar Foederatus

Egypt always has big armies in my games and a ridiculous amount of money. me and my friend played a hotseat campaign and he had 120 000 byturn 25 and big armies conquering rebel lands, although controlled by a player instead of AI. Best soluction to when AI controls egypt is to just call crusades on them constantly and help out crusader states a bit to slow them down. What I do in my games is take crusading armies in and take cities while sacking and removing the buildings for more money. Thus destroying their economy as well.

Super strong Egypt is nothing unusual. I've played Europa Barbarorum a lot and that time Egypt - Ptolemaoi are always becoming an immense superpower that only the player can stop. It's also the same reasons - very few natural enemies. The Moors are too far away, CS are too weak, Turks are too weak, Khwarezm is slaughtered by Mongols. In Europa Barbarorum - Carthage is too far away, Seleucids have to fight on all fronts and usually collapse. Egypt has easily defensible borders and very rich homeland. They can not be attacked by several factions at once.

The only way to counter them in my opinion is to create another strong Muslim faction as CS will not cope with the task. May be the Abbasids with the capital at Baghdad will be able to keep Egypt in check, but some other faction would have been removed in this case (it could also create more problems for Turks).

Nah, I have never played a Christian faction and not had them be irrelevant by turn 50. It is always very easy to get a crusade called on Cairo, so you land 2-3 stacks by Alexandria and Damietta and you basically have Alexandria, Damietta, Acre and Cairo when the crusade ends. To be honest as any Christian faction I almost consider the crusades to be an exploit, you can almost always rape and pillage for 3-4 turns before you have any deserters and thats plenty of time to grow your kingdom by 50%. I play on vh/vh but even so, a stack of crusader knights and sergents is pretty damn hard to stop...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Any old noob can destroy them but were talking about the AIs ability to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Any old noob can destroy them but were talking about the AIs ability to cope.

I agree, I have never had a hard time defeating Egypt, even when they dominate the Middle East. They are actually really vulnerable to sea invasion. If you need to shut them down, all you need is 2-3 stacks and you can completely gut the settlements around the Nile by landing at Alexandria. That destroys their economony and if you can take Gaza, you have a single fortress to defend all of Egypt as any reinforcements would need to pass Gaza to get back to Egypt.

If the AI is having issues with Egypt and you're a catholic nation, just direct your crusades at Cairo and Gaza. Anytime you call a crusade against Egypt you are buying the Crusader States more time.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

I dont play as the fatimids, but I like to fight against them and I think they definitely needs a new roster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12