Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Lord of the rings movies

yo what's the different between war of the rings and the FATW.

well I know that the FA happened after the WOTR but I've never actually play it.

and posible send me a modfoldered download link.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post

Yeah I know, but I tend to use both on occasion. I recently went mad because I looked up a 'Persian' word - it was Turkic though, so I looked for a synonym - which was Arabic. What a bummer. Still, in this respect Persian is similar to English.
    yeah persian is very similar to english.

persian have changed a lot since the sassanid period since the arabs attacked persi language are now mixed with some arabic, torkish words.
    after the napeleons attack also some french words have intered persian language so in north Iran language (tabari language and deilami language you can clearly see many french words)

after world war 2 the russians conquered Iran since Iran was one of hitlers alies and some russian words intered noprth persian language so I guess that's the reason why you get problems speaking russian and persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    What exactly would LotR 4 be based on?
    well you should know the answer to this question since your playing FATW , a mod wich is baced on afetr the WOTR.
    Last edited by Aradan; March 11, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Default Re: Lord of the rings movies

You can find a download for the mod here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365719

Cant be bothered reading through this thread (I couldnt even make it through the first page) but I'd just like to point 2 things out:

1. I saw someone ask about what armour is most accurate lore wise, this is mail armour. I believe that every culture uses mail armour with some breastplates and such here and there.

2. How much better the battle of the Pelennor fields is in the book. Not only the army of the dead showing up and the fact that no one from Minas Tirith rides out, but I hate the fact that more isn't made of Eomer. I found that as one of the strongest moments in the books which Theodens glorious and jolly charge changes into a suicidal one under Eomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoniser View Post
    Cant be bothered reading through this thread (I couldnt even make it through the first page) but I'd just like to point 2 things out:

1. I saw someone ask about what armour is most accurate lore wise, this is mail armour. I believe that every culture uses mail armour with some breastplates and such here and there.

2. How much better the battle of the Pelennor fields is in the book. Not only the army of the dead showing up and the fact that no one from Minas Tirith rides out, but I hate the fact that more isn't made of Eomer. I found that as one of the strongest moments in the books which Theodens glorious and jolly charge changes into a suicidal one under Eomer.
    I agree "Death! Death! Death!" is much better coming from Eomer his army after seeing their king and Eyown die and enemy reinforcements arriving, rather than during the sunrise charge.

Eomers plan to make a shield wall are fight to the last is great as well.

You can find a download for the mod here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365719
    it's mod foldered right ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Yes it is.

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

*sound of Tolkien rolling in his grave*
    Oh come on, and forth age takes no liberty with the lore?

Three words: Kingdom of Adūnabār

:

Making a mod about the Fourth Age, which is almost not documented, of course needs some gaps filled and we've never attempted to pass the product of our creative liberty as lore. Where that liberty has been taken though, we have done so trying to stay true to Tolkien's spirit, since there is no lore per se.

For example, Adūnabār is a cultic-based kingdom resulting from a dunedanic civil war. The concept of the Cult and the associated evil-doing in Gondor was created by Tolkien himself, and there is also lore about Dunedain having civil wars and breaking apart into smaller factions. So the combination of the two ideas into the concept of the Kingdom of Adūnabār during the 4th Age is hardly a lore-breaking leap or one that seems out of place.

On the other hand, ravaging the established lore of the Third Age in a multitude of ways is a completely different thing...

There's also the big difference between continuing the narrative (FATW) and directly contradicting it (Peter Jackson and crew). While FATW is essentially an artsier form of fanfic, it doesn't contradict the lore.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    There's also the big difference between continuing the narrative (FATW) and directly contradicting it (Peter Jackson and crew). While FATW is essentially an artsier form of fanfic, it doesn't contradict the lore.
    And if anything, FATW is in keeping with the spirit of the Middle-earth legendarium, it applies the same level of thought and detail into it's story. Plus being set in the fourth age it allows it more free reign to tell it's story by developing concepts Tolkien started.

Jackson has said that the extended editions were not supposed to be directors cuts or definative editions, but versions done for people who wanted to see greater detail and more depth in the films.
    Last edited by Revelo; April 20, 2011 at 06:15 PM.

Spartanss300's Avatar Libertus

IMO the movies were pretty awesome. It was great to see Tolkien's world with my own eyes. Even if his work was slightly (to say the least) messed around with to make it into a movie that would attract more than only the people who were already a fan of the trilogy.

"The Spartans are the equal of any men when they fight as individuals; fighting together as a collective, they surpass all other men."

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

I am also of two minds about the movies. Here are the things that annoy me...

- the rubber looking Uruk Hai in the Fellowship
    - the Xena Warrior Princess combat, again in the fellowship
    - the Mines of Moria (the rugged passages, not the city complex) look like big, hastily built models. Heck they reminded me of the Norman forts we used to build at school.
    - the great hall depicted in Moria, with all the pillars, is just a lazy design which is ultimately confusing. A viewer finds it hard to recreate that space in his/her head: the tiny Hall of Records just pops up in the middle of the hall, Gandalf staring at a crap looking Bridge of Khazad-dum (how the feck did he manage to look at it from that angle...)
    - the big ram-horned Balrog. Give me a break.

Yet still compulsive viewing! What can you do.

Then their is Aragorn looking at Lorien, just after he has exited Moria, and what a crap looking vista it is. About as green as brown paint. A very lacklustre panorama. Which leads me to my biggest criticism - the films just look terribly grey. I do not know what it is but the film colour seems muted. Not very Middle Earth if you ask me.

And the Dark Riders are silly, not scary at all. Again you have the stupid screams and the silly Xena fight sequence at Weathertop - a flaming torch to the face thank you very much.

But I am being a hypocrite. I saw all the movies, bought the extended editions and relished over the "making off" featurettes. So Peter Jackson gets the last laugh at me. However to be a tad controversial...

...the Moria sequence in Ralph Baski's cartoon has more atmosphere than Peter Jackson's effort. Yes, the drawings are e, the Balrog is a big camp actor and the orcs look like football thugs with halloween masks. But the atmosphere is brilliant.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

To be reasonable, for all the movies got wrong in regards to how they portray Tolkien's world they are still excellent examples of filmmaking and fun to enjoy. I still enjoy watching the extended editions as well as the books so what does that say really.

Indefinitely Banned

My faveotie part in the movie even though I'm not a lord of the rings fan is when the orc says ''My precious"

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    My faveotie part in the movie even though I'm not a lord of the rings fan is when the orc says ''My precious"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567