Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the rings movies

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Lord of the rings movies

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    Then I watched the movies again. And I was wondering: Where do the mountains east of Dimrill Dale come from? Why are there snow-topped mountains north-east of Pelennor Fields? In the movies, the sun seems to rise anywhere but the east (sometimes in the north). Also, isn't The war of the Ring supposed to take place in late winter/early spring? The New-Zealand-is-Middle-earth approach was taken too far, in my opinion.
    Watched TTT last weekend and there are mountains east of Fangorn. Oh no, wait. There are mountains ALL AROUND Fangorn!

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    - a Balrog (book) becomes inflated (it's excusable though because in this case, as the film version is actually fairly impressive, even though it is too bestial)
    That, for once, is not Jackson's fault.
    The Balrog is designed after John Howe's pictures. I for one like it pretty much, though I think it lacks the shadow aspect. It's silhoutte shouldn't have been that clear, more evasive like shadow or smoke is.

This painting, showing Glorfindel's fight with the Balrog, is probably Howe's worst attempt of a Balrog, lacking both, shadow and flame.
    http://fantasy.mrugala.net/John%20Ho...-%20Balrog.jpg

Most of Ted Nasmith's Balrogs are ridiculous, this one is pretty awesome. Though it lacks the fire and the extremities are too clear.
    http://www.theonering.com/images/med.../87tcal_08.jpg

In general Howe does some "mistakes" depicting Middle-earth, for he paints lots of plate armour. I can understand, you can be much more creative with this than with mail.

OTOH, some things are undersized, such as Edoras and Minas Tirith. Both of them are also placed in a desolate prairie with no agriculture to be seen.
    There isn't any agriculture in whole ME! Ok, there's something in the Shire, but still it's not much.

Quote Originally Posted by wlesmana View Post
    The Elves coming to aid at Helm's Deep is fine to show how much they diminished compared to the opening in FOTR.
    I've never looked at this fact from this point of view, and I have to say you're right!

Now, I understand that adding another battle at the end would be dragging the final film too long (as the Battle for the Shire would) but making magical green ghosts win the war cheapened their whole struggle since the beginning.
    Uhm, no. The battle at Pelargir could have been displayed in less than five minutes, perhaps even as a review told by one of the characters.

Concerning "super elf", quoting John Howe:

"I also toyed with the idea of making Elven armour rather more grim, as if it already contained the funereal aspect of risking eternal life for a land you will be leaving one day.
    On the other hand, what I DO want to know is how all those unfortunate Elves, who were armoured from head to toe, died to a man (well, to an Elf...), whereas Legolas, with his wee leather shoulder guards, survived unscathed..."

LOL. Indeed

EDIT: Darn forums! Had reduced the pictures' size, and it made them big again. Now you have links only.

EDIT 2: Found this really awesome pic of Théoden fighting the Witch King http://www.drachenserver.de/dragonim...ddle_Earth.jpg
    Last edited by Thangaror; March 04, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    EDIT 2: Found this really awesome pic of Théoden fighting the Witch King http://www.drachenserver.de/dragonim...ddle_Earth.jpg
    For some reason that picture's not showing up

Can't see it wither. Perhaps it's "Germany only"?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

well, if you follow the link it says in the "bandwith" thing (and if you don't get that, just browse to "drachenserver.de") I get you come at some kind of fantasy network. If you then click "Drachenbilder", then "John Howe" and then to the last page, you can see the picture "War in Middle Earth"

Ah, thanks. Nice image!

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    What exactly would LotR 4 be based on?
    The love story of Gimli and Legolas?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From this brilliant comic.

That comic is epic.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Indeed

Hilarious! Epic background story.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Man, it's really long - how long did it take you to read it all. It's hilariously funny, though (being a roleplaying gamer myself).
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

his comics are hilarious

Damn thing took me an entire afternoon to read. And then I started with Darts and droids... My studying plans go to trash again...

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

While Elves at Helms Deep always seemed too silly (They got there rather quick didn't they?) and does take away from the fact it's a struggle of men (The films did pimp them out as super-elves) I admit it was interesting seeing how well they fared, compared to how much ass they kicked in the Prologue of Fellowship they did drop like flies at Helms Deep. So it's an interesting way to show how they are diminishing.

The only thing I wish both the book and the movie could have shown was dwarves in battle. Obviously we saw Moria long abandoned to Goblins and the Balrog and the company didn't venture close to any inhabited dwarven settlements so it's a shame they couldn't have feature more dwarves, dwarves are awesome and underrated I think

Then again The Hobbit does focus more on dwarves and shows dwarves in battle, and if there is one thing the films did well, it was making battles pretty epic and spectacular.

Yeah, I love dwarves definitely playing them when DoM comes out.
    Last edited by Revelo; March 07, 2011 at 05:57 AM.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

holy ! Awesome comic

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

Shamus Young is brilliant, his Stolen Pixels comic on the Escapist is just as good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-4-Dumb-Part-1

I will link to the first part of his Left 4 Dumb series, enjoy
    Last edited by Revelo; March 07, 2011 at 06:19 AM.

I love that comic. Why RP and Tolkien don't *quite* work.

I read it all in one sitting. Didn't have much to do that day. Big headache later. Still worth it.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Haha, love this episode: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148

Now we know why the plot of the film is so stupid in this matter!

Even better: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1212
    I actually never wondered how in the films the ships could sail up Anduin without any mariner and with but 3 pairs of hands.
    Last edited by Thangaror; March 09, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Haha, love this episode: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1148

Now we know why the plot of the film is so stupid in this matter!
    Indeed.
    "Sweet smoking Conan! Will you look at the stats of that sword!" Well let's have a look.
    Code:
    63, 63, [...], melee, blade, sword, 0, 1
    area, ap, bp, launching

Even better: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1212
    I actually never wondered how in the films the ships could sail up Anduin without any mariner and with but 3 pairs of hands.
    Easy man, Super-Elf stands at the stern, shooting arrows into the water. Thereby propelling them forward.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

I love that comic.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

EPIC comic!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast