Thread: Lord of War

Indefinitely Banned

Default Lord of War

I just finished watching Lord of War. I thought it was a great movie, with a very important point, especially the text at the end about the U.S., U.K., China, France, Russia and Germany being the biggest arms dealers in the world, and being the permanent members of the security council at the UN. I'm too tired too type anything more right now, really, but who else saw it, and what did/do you think?

I recommend it if you haven't seen it, also.

Oh my God! I just saw it too! Like right now!

I thought it was a really good movie. It made an interesting point. Quite ironic.

P.S. You posted the same thing in Ana :wink:. Yeah that's right, I'm on to you....

Decemvir's Avatar vox veritas vita

I recently saw Lord of War (this past week) and I also really enjoyed it. Atheist Peace, I also enjoyed the ending text which really sold me on the movie. Another part of the movie which I really enjoyed, was when Cage's character is caught by Hawk's character and they are talking in the interrogation cell. Cage congradulates Hawk on capturing him but points out that it is all for naught because governments need men, like Cage's character, to supply arms to regions in which they cannot be officially involved in. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about the movie but the two scenes that I just mentioned really made me feel as if Lord of War should be watched by more people.

I've been wanting to see this in the worst way. I was hoping it would live up to my expectations, hehe.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Decemvir
    I recently saw Lord of War (this past week) and I also really enjoyed it. Atheist Peace, I also enjoyed the ending text which really sold me on the movie. Another part of the movie which I really enjoyed, was when Cage's character is caught by Hawk's character and they are talking in the interrogation cell. Cage congradulates Hawk on capturing him but points out that it is all for naught because governments need men, like Cage's character, to supply arms to regions in which they cannot be officially involved in. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about the movie but the two scenes that I just mentioned really made me feel as if Lord of War should be watched by more people.
    Yes, I completely agree with you.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace
    I recommend it if you haven't seen it, also.
    I rented it a couple of days ago and I'm planning on watching it tonight. I'm glad to hear that it's a good movie and I can't wait to sit back and watch the flick.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Ahh fiddlesticks. I was going to post about this movie but you beat me too it. This was an amazing movie with many good points. A must watch by everyone.

Yes. Interesting movie. I am not too familiar with Hawk's characters background. Was it Interpol?
    Now, could someone correct me but to my knowledge Interpol is not under US jurisdiction and as such, while in USA they have power to release Cage, Hawk's character would not have been subordinate of US president. (Cage's character telling Hawk that his boss, to my understand referring to president of US, is biggest armsdealer in the world)

EDIT:

Checked out and found out I was right. Now, of course this is rather minor inaccuracy but still annoying considering how it paints twisted picture of the organisation. And could contribute to enforce mistaken view of some people.
    Last edited by Tiwaz; February 04, 2006 at 06:38 AM.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Default Lord of War

Any of you seen it?
    http://www.lordofwarthemovie.com/
    I highly recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/

Check this out:

* According to Andrew Niccol, the filmmakers worked with actual gunrunners in the making of the film. The tanks lined up for sale were owned by a gunrunner who had to have them back to sell to another country. They used a real stockpile of over 3,000 AK-47s because it was cheaper than getting prop guns. The gunrunners were more cooperative and efficient than the studio or the crew.

* Yuri Orlov is a composite of five real arms dealers.

* No US studios would back the film. Foreign finances were secured instead.

* The tanks seen in the movie were real and belonged to a Czech arms-dealer.

* Before shooting the scene where tanks were lined up for sale, the filmmaker had to warn NATO, lest they think a real war was being started when they see satellite images of the set.

* The character of Andre Baptiste is loosely based on famous warlord, and ex-leader of Liberia, Charles Taylor.

* The Antonov An-12 airplane number 9Q-CIH filmed in the movie was owned by a Russian citizen Evgeny Zakharov. On January 8, 2005, the plane crashed at Bukalaza, Ughanda; all six crew members were killed. The plane departed Entebbe airport with destination Kinshasa. It was reportedly carrying humanitarian relief items.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/trivia

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

just say it 3 days ago. A good flick. But for those of you who have seen Blow, its pretty much the same thing with guns. Still good though
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

SoggyFrog's Avatar Sort of a Protest Frog

Just thought I'd let you know: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42528

I saw it several weeks ago, thought it was pretty good too That's some very interesting trivia.
    House of Frood