Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: TWC Modding Awards Winners 2010

Default Re: Modding Awards 2010 Winners

Thanks a lot for everyone who has organized and especially participated on this years' awards!

I must admit the whole process of the awards wasn't really clear to me (yes, I also was a bit lazy), so I hope that next year some more people, including myself, will discuss the awards a bit more before they start, so that the twc awards will further improve.

And of course, congrats to all who have been nominated or won an award, imo the twc is full of modders who would have earned this!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Graceycles's Avatar Foederatus

Congratulations to all the winners. Its amazing all the work people put into these mods.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" - Edgar Allan Poe

"A day of battle is a day of harvest for the devil" - William Hooke

Proud Hoser

Yay congratulations to the winners
    Last edited by Squid; February 17, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Qchongfu's Avatar Libertus

Congrats all! thx for keeping these games alive, current and credible. this community is awesome and i hope it continues on far into the future.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

My only gripe on these awards is that all team members should be awarded there "Award Crests" for whoever the winner is in a mod catergory, so a mod that has 30 members = all members get awards!, I think that this needs to be discussed and addressed with the Moderators, Curia or whatever the powers may be at the Towers of TWC Lordship!!

I really dont want to get involved in this debate as I dont have the time to start a thread on this, and I trust the heirachy within TWC will look into this a little further as I know many members feel the same way on this issue.

Moderators: If you feel this discussion is going to cause problems, feel free to close this post

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

• Team members are already covered by the modder awards on a individual basis.
    • Defining who has done enough for a mod to get an award is almost impossible.
    • Awarding several large teams is probably incredibly tedious for the admin(s) doing it.
    • One would somehow manage to limit it to team members who've worked on the mod over the last year.
    • Probably some more, but I can't think of anything more right now.

Indefinitely Banned

I think that this is a great idea Toon. If a team wins an award, then surely it's only fair that everyone who contributed as an active team member should be recognised. It would be simple enought to implement, as I think that the mod team leader would be the best person to supply a list of potential recipients.

The giving awards to all team members thing has been discussed many times before... and I don't think there is a solution that would allow that to work well (re; all the problems about defining who were the relevant team members at the time etc...)

but I did think that maybe it should be possible to produce a graphic for '2011 mod award winner'
    eg; like pc pro awards
    see http://www.madasafish.com/reasons-to-join-madasafish/
    as first thing I can find with example of that in use

if there was an approved graphic the winning mod could if they wished use it as an integral part of mod sigs (which anyone could wear as its related to the mod not their account) and on any other graphic / page that the mod produced as advertising....

I realise that as the use of the graphic wouldn't be controlled by admins, that anyone could copy and stick it anywhere.... but anyone found using one without basis would look like a complete and utter **** - which hopefully would stop misuse!?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    • Team members are already covered by the modder awards on a individual basis.
    • Defining who has done enough for a mod to get an award is almost impossible.
    • Awarding several large teams is probably incredibly tedious for the admin(s) doing it.
    • One would somehow manage to limit it to team members who've worked on the mod over the last year.
    • Probably some more, but I can't think of anything more right now.
    Let the team leader be resonsible to cover of who should get the award? there is no need for this to be complicated or any admins to get involved. its simple really!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I think that this is a great idea Toon. If a team wins an award, then surely it's only fair that everyone who contributed as an active team member should be recognised. It would be simple enought to implement, as I think that the mod team leader would be the best person to supply a list of potential recipients.
    Thanks mate, I just have the philosophy that a great mod wins awards not because of the Chief who cracks the whip, it is also all the little indians who work with the chief to make it all happen! I call this "teamwork" and you are certainly on my wavelength to a easy solution mate

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The giving awards to all team members thing has been discussed many times before... and I don't think there is a solution that would allow that to work well (re; all the problems about defining who were the relevant team members at the time etc...)

but I did think that maybe it should be possible to produce a graphic for '2011 mod award winner'
    eg; like pc pro awards
    see http://www.madasafish.com/reasons-to-join-madasafish/
    as first thing I can find with example of that in use

if there was an approved graphic the winning mod could if they wished use it as an integral part of mod sigs (which anyone could wear as its related to the mod not their account) and on any other graphic / page that the mod produced as advertising....

I realise that as the use of the graphic wouldn't be controlled by admins, that anyone could copy and stick it anywhere.... but anyone found using one without basis would look like a complete and utter **** - which hopefully would stop misuse!?
    Fair comment, as I stated to Meneth the "Awards Crest" can easily be distributed by the mod leader and it is upto that person if he gives it to all the members or just to a select few? we are all grown ups in this forum and I am sure diplomacy and a fair approach can easily handle this solution.
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; February 18, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    Thats what I suggested, but it was thought that it would lead to bias, which is a fair assertion

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    My only gripe on these awards is that all team members should be awarded there "Award Crests" for whoever the winner is in a mod catergory, so a mod that has 30 members = all members get awards!, I think that this needs to be discussed and addressed with the Moderators, Curia or whatever the powers may be at the Towers of TWC Lordship!!

I really dont want to get involved in this debate as I dont have the time to start a thread on this, and I trust the heirachy within TWC will look into this a little further as I know many members feel the same way on this issue.

Moderators: If you feel this discussion is going to cause problems, feel free to close this post
    Imo this would just cheapen the awards (too many people...) also would just lead to agruements and uncertainty over who had done enough etc...

Is everyone adult enough to handle it? I dont know...
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; February 18, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

I thought the same thing last year when I won an award that didn't entitle me to a badge. After my initial annoyance at this (plus attempts to change things) ended, I began to see how impractical it was. A few pixels under your avatar isn't worth all the arguments this would cause - it has the power to rip teams apart and genuinely offend people.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Let the team leader be resonsible to cover of who should get the award? there is no need for this to be complicated or any admins to get involved. its simple really!
    Admins are the only ones who can give out awards.
    Giving anyone else the power would be easily abused.

If an individual member is deserving of an award, (s)he will win the member part of the Modding Awards. Individual members are thus covered already.
    If your mod has won an award, do what many other teams did:
    Put it in the mod's (release) thread, and mention it in your next promotional video.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Take me for example, I hate my modding team so much I would say they hadn't done enough work just to spite them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Or, you've got a friend who did a little work on some descriptions (with an emphasis on "little"), and give him an award just because he's your friend.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Orlets say toons all in one won (or dmuc)... Quite justifyibly you would be handing out around 50 awards...

Indefinitely Banned

Lol - any system is open to abuse, Meneth, and I guess it depends on whether you always consider your cup to be "half full", or "half empty". If you always assume the worst, then I expect you can never be disappointed!
    Last edited by Tony83; February 18, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Giving out awards to all members of a mod, as Hedge Knight's example shows, works badly even when not abused.
    It is, therefore, not a good system.

And to reiterate: We already have a system in place for awarding individual modders.

Indefinitely Banned

No doubt you will be surprised to learn that I disagree.

How can you "cheapen" an award by giving it to people who deserve it. A team award should be exactly that, not something given to an individual, and it is rare, but not unknown, for a mod to be completed by one person. Furthermore, an award is not currency, merely recognition that one has made a contribution to modding and the TWC community as a whole. So what does it matter if one or one hundred win it?

Trying to give out awards to all members of dozens of teams is a logistical nightmare.
    Giving almost anyone an award is pointless.
    We already have a system to award individual modders.

These are my three major points against giving out team awards. Feel free to prove me wrong.