Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: TWC Modding Awards Winners 2010

Default Re: Modding Awards 2010 Winners

In my opinion, things are good as they are now, a winner mod will be more know and with it their creators. If we were going to give medals to all modders than they wouldn't be no longer important. I agree with something that goes to the mod it self though.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    I have a very hands on approach and I am fair on my assumptions
    But not everyone is and there's no way to enforce that.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

But not everyone is and there's no way to enforce that.
    Also for me the strongest argument.

Besides that i don't see a point with awards for Teammembers... the Mod is already awarded by the Community and so it is the work of the members who created this, so in fact no one is left out.
    Having additional awards for Members is for me simply a way for e-pen enlargement..("Look here! I'm in a Winner Team! I'm awesome!") which isn't needed on this forum where you are creating stuff for the Community and not for you so that you might win something.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Exactly. So I'm with Fortes and shokh on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortes View Post
    In my opinion, things are good as they are now, a winner mod will be more know and with it their creators. If we were going to give medals to all modders than they wouldn't be no longer important. I agree with something that goes to the mod it self though.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    But what gives you the right to decide what contributors are worthy of an award or not?
    As a team leader it is my responsibility to know, and if I fall down; or fail to recognise a contributor; or am in any way unfair or nepotistic, then be aware that the fact would soon be known and I wouldn't be team leader for much longer!

Again we hear a negative argument because of something some people might do. Are all people inherently bad? What about all the positive and good feeling that recognising effort will do? Why is there so much emphasis on why things cannot be done? C'mon guys! For God's sake why not concentrate on why this would be a good thing and make it work!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    As a team leader it is my responsibility to know, and if I fall down; or fail to recognise a contributor; or am in any way unfair or nepotistic, then be aware that the fact would soon be known and I wouldn't be team leader for much longer!

Again we hear a negative argument because of something some people might do. Are all people inherently bad? What about all the positive and good feeling that recognising effort will do? Why is there so much emphasis on why things cannot be done? C'mon guys! For God's sake why not concentrate on why this would be a good thing and make it work!
    So what if a person makes a genuine mistake? That person is going to seriously offend someone else, and possibly even have his/her team split up.

There's so many arguments against it, and all I am seeing for it is an attempt to have the position of the award pixels moved from signature to under the avatar. Not blatantly, but that's what it boils down to.

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    We are already recognizing effort.
    Yes on an individual merit!!! why not any recognition on a team merit??

Yes on an individual merit!!! why not any recognition on a team merit??
    Haven't the last three pages explained to you why it hasn't been done yet?

Ok I am seeing a pattern developing here!! it seems to be the ones who disagree with a diplomatic view on awarding "Award Crests" to a whole team have a problem with this as they have already got there own crests and really dont care about anyone else!!
    If i have offended anyone well thats just tough as it seems that you guys with "Awards" really do not care about the importance of recognition to other team members and working as a team, I really thought that in life it was important to work as a team! maybe in real life it is and I will stick with this ethos in my Real world! and in my Virtual world within TWC its just everyone else out for himself!! very disappointinted and outcome with some of the conversations I have been involved with over the last two days

enough said! Oh i almost forgot I had to create my own Signature to acknowledge to my "team" that I actually appreciate there time, effort and bringing a wonderful mod to the community!! should I really be doing this??
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; February 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

it seems to be the ones who disagree with a diplomatic view on awarding "Award Crests" to a whole team have a problem with this as they have already got there own crests and really dont care about anyone else!!
    And maybe the people who haven't got their own crests are just annoyed and fail to acknowledge the multiple downsides and counter-arguments presented.

Maybe the Curia should vote on it?
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Haven't the last three pages explained to you why it hasn't been done yet?
    And maybe the people who haven't got their own crests are just annoyed and fail to acknowledge the multiple downsides and counter-arguments presented.
    Thats totally incorrect mate, nothing is clear on the awards criteria in my opinion as we won an award and the team should be recognized for there works!! and my stance remains the same on my simple solution to all this!
    Maybe its just the fact that am 42 years old, been around a bit got a lot of experience in the world, and maybe its just the younger generation out there who dont get my philosophy?? I will fight for the honour and recognition that my team deserves for there hard work and effort, there like brothers to me!!
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; February 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Discussing an idea that will force people to decide out of his friends and aquaintances who will get an award is pointless at best.

It won't happen. You can't force this choice onto people, I don't ever want to have to make that choice thanks. Consider other people you will put into this situation, and the effects this may have.

Thats totally incorrect mate, nothing is clear on the awards criteria in my opinion as we won an award and the team should be recognized for there works!! and my stance remains the same on my simple solution to all this!
    Teams have never been awarded en masse before, and the last three or so pages have explained the reasoning behind this.
    Here's yet another argument against it. Say a team splits early in the year - a few members leave after a disagreement or argument. By your way of thinking, presuming it's handled maturely, those members will be awarded (as the team member will let the admins know). But say they hadn't done any work at this stage of the year.
    Now you have a situation where the team leader is obliged to let them be awarded, even though they are not on the team and didn't do any of the work that entitles them to the award. You now have people going around the site that are in no way deserving of their award. And if the team leader refuses to let them be awarded - what happens then? An even bigger feud. More disputes. More admin time wasted. More politics. Less functional teams. Less mods.

Teams have never been awarded en masse before, and the last three or so pages have explained the reasoning behind this.
    Here's yet another argument against it. Say a team splits early in the year - a few members leave after a disagreement or argument. By your way of thinking, presuming it's handled maturely, those members will be awarded (as the team member will let the admins know). But say they hadn't done any work at this stage of the year.
    Now you have a situation where the team leader is obliged to let them be awarded, even though they are not on the team and didn't do any of the work that entitles them to the award. You now have people going around the site that are in no way deserving of their award. And if the team leader refuses to let them be awarded - what happens then? An even bigger feud. More disputes. More admin time wasted. More politics. Less functional teams. Less mods.
    If a member leaves the team and they were part of the team at the stage they won the award they have every right to keep that award! disagreements, arguments etc.. will happen but if any member has made a contribution to that mod nothing should change in there status of having the award on there avatar.

If the team has won an award and additional members join at a later stage, I would not give an award to that member as they were not active at the time the team initially won the award, they can be added in credits etc..thats just common sense!

All I am seeing on these posts are excuses not to work as a team and resolve issues in a diplomatic way!! it really is a simple process, lol!!
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; February 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Okmin View Post
    Maybe the Curia should vote on it?

Why them? If anyone should vote on this it's the members of the modding teams themselves, for they are the ones who are directly affected. Just where is the difficulty here? All that Toon has suggested is, in effect, an award that is similar to a "campaign medal", or maybe something akin to the Scout badge system: both universally recognised and applied good practices. In other words, something that encourages participation and rewards team effort. It is said that such a system would be open to abuse, but you can say that about any and every system that mankind has devised! It is just not a good enough a reason not to try. How do you think that JFK, or any good leader, would respond to that argument. I'm sorry, but I cannot subscribe to to an attitude that would deny the majority some pleasure because a very small minority may not "play the game.

Would be odd when someone who did no coding get the award when his team won best gameplay or AI, and would be odd if someone who did nothing about artwork/modeling/skinning get an award when his team won most aesthetic mod etc.

It was stated that next year there will be a announcement earlier before the awards begin. Would it be not the best then to suggest such things? I really want to suggest to work out a system and then let the curia vote on this for future award events if you want to see here changes.

In each case, i hope this discussion donīt get in a wrong way.

Why them? If anyone should vote on this it's the members of the modding teams themselves, for they are the ones who are directly affected.
    Good point.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot subscribe to to an attitude that would deny the majority some pleasure because a very small minority may nor "play the game.
    Agree.

It is just not a good enough a reason not to try.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

but you can say that about any and every system that mankind has devised
    Knockout argument. "If a system have possibilities for cheating we can bring in a new system with more possibilities". This is the false way to argument mate