Thread: [VI AAR] The Saxon Saga

Default [VI AAR] The Saxon Saga

Introduction

Shimazu's Story is on the home straight and it's time to start a new one. Playing on normal. I've never played VI before and I'm not sure what to expect. I played a few turns in a quick test campaign before starting this and all I found out were that Vikings are vicious, Mercians are merciless and the Saxon lands are the most underdeveloped hovels in the whole of Britain. Also Saxon units are made of butter. In a bid to stop my AAR's from being a series of screenshots with added descriptions, dialogue has been introduced. Characters could develop, there might even be a plot! Don't get me wrong, there will be lot's of nice screenies, though don't expect many in the first few updates, since the Saxons don't start with any kind of army that is fit to go to war, nor the buildings needed to make such an army. Splelling and ,grammar are still in terminal decline, but nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the Saxon Saga.

Contents
    A Time Long Ago
    In a Dreamworld
    Work and Preparation

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [VI AAR] The Saxon Saga

Great start, and I'll certainly be following. The good news for the Saxons is that they have the wealthiest territories in Britain, so finances won't be too much of a problem.
    Last edited by dezikeizer; February 06, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

wow, im loving the presentation so far. it's so well done and its awesome seeing the old MTW again. The game that really started it all for me.

Thanks for the support guys

In a Dreamworld

hmm a little cliffhanger...more! .

Short but great. With the situation it would be good to expand more soon so your kings gains more influence, which will mean your generals will be more loyal.

Work and Preparation

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The secret perversion vice, when highlighted, does indeed state a preference for 'young boys'. How prescicely I'm going to weave this into the narrative in future I'm not entirely certain. With great difficulty no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    Short but great. With the situation it would be good to expand more soon so your kings gains more influence, which will mean your generals will be more loyal.
    Expansion is a tricky thing for the Saxons, all surrounding neighbours start with an advantage in both unit type and number, the Mercians especially so. And on top of that, the Vikings tend to make a beeline for the destitute Saxon armies. Having said that, once a royal palace is built, pretty much nothing can stop the huscarles that come from it.

In other news, imageshack's filesize limit is 5mb's and I may well be going over that, probably to about 10mb. Does anyone know of an image hosting site that hosts files of that size, allows hotlinking and does not resize images. Because if not, then I'm going to have to write the entire AAR, get a one month upgrade, upload the entire AAR, cancel imageshack subscription at the end of the month and then finally start posting say 2 a week.

Great update as always, and good to see you've started expanding. The Vikings would be the biggest problem, but in my experience the Mercians and Welsh will leave you alone for a while. You just need to get recruitment capabilites off the ground and then you'll be fine. Unfortunately, I don't really know about websites that could help, but I'm sure you could ask one of the other big aar writers and they could help you better.

Nevermind, I've found I can split images in half and then just post them immediately after one another like so:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What is in the spoiler tags is actually two images. You can see where they are split by highlighting them.

EDIT: Next post will be a battle, which unlike dialogue, is something I can do.

That's a beautiful way of arranging images and text, gives them aesthetical unity.

Much love for MTW as well. The small map of VI never appealed to me, but I'm a big fan of the game. I still have it installed! Hell, just look at my avatar.
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

Nice update. I like how you found a way to integrate one of his traits into the story, in fact making it a focal point of the whole chapter. Brilliant work.