Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Green" Mordor

Hallow's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: "Green" Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    As an initial test run perhaps just "switch on" farming map effects in this region and see what it looks like. Not literally "switch on"; I'm sure that it is a lot more involved than that. I have no idea how myself. Even patches of green would be something.

I was wondering this too. Another copy of the map with green (grass) features/terrain in this area.
    If my adventures with removing Anduin crossings are an indicator of anything, changes to the campaign map is not save game compatible.
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Hah, yes I saw that discussion just a few moments ago. I was about to try it myself. A timely post Hallow; saved me some time.

EDIT: call me stubborn but I tried it anyway. I replaced mordor.tga and mordor2.tga with two grassy looking ones in data\terrain\aerial_map\ground_types. Instant green! This is in a loaded save game, without deleting map.rwm either.

I expect the ground will still be black in battles.
    Last edited by Withwnar; January 10, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Hah, yes I saw that discussion just a few moments ago. I was about to try it myself. A timely post Hallow; saved me some time.

EDIT: call me stubborn but I tried it anyway. I replaced mordor.tga and mordor2.tga with two grassy looking ones in data\terrain\aerial_map\ground_types. Instant green! This is in a loaded save game, without deleting map.rwm either.

I expect the ground will still be black in battles.
    Pretty! Now there's just the matter of making it trigger only when a Good faction controls Mordor, is it possible doing it through constructing a building?
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Quote Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
    Pretty! Now there's just the matter of making it trigger only when a Good faction controls Mordor, is it possible doing it through constructing a building?
    I'm not sure it is. The closest thing you could do would be like in MOS, the Full Arnorian Reemergence mod, where you create a .bat which can switch the files over. This does, of course, detract from gameplay, but it would probably do it.

To my knowledge the TGA switch could not be triggered by anything in game. You would need to exit, run some kind of BAT file then reload.

There is also a green tinge outside of the mountains which looks odd, especially up against deserts.

But at least it is save game compatible.

It also wouldn't be possible to change mordor's terrain to "grassland", would it?

An event could be made a few turns after destroying mordor (maybe 10-15 turns?) saying "mordor recovered" or something, perhaps with a nice video or something, and some instructions on what to do to change the terrain, though there's nothing preventing you from changing it from the start.

I don't know much about mapping but changing the terrain might not be save game compatible, no.

Libertus

I always thought Mordor is black because of an active volcano here. Not because it's "Evil" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by kaa View Post
    I always thought Mordor is black because of an active volcano here. Not because it's "Evil" territory.
    Without checking this I presume (though I might be entirely wrong) that since Sauron is linked to Orodruin it might go inactive after his defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    ...while the nazgul ride their little (flying) ponies and give candies to cute baby orcs
    Reminded me:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooma Addict View Post
    After reading wikipedia for about ten minutes, I hearby declare myself an expert on medieval history.

As for the green clashing with the Harad Desert, would it be possible to make Nurn a desert and Gorgoroth grasslands?

As for the green clashing with the Harad Desert, would it be possible to make Nurn a desert and Gorgoroth grasslands?
    That would make even less sense- Nurn was the most fertile part of Mordor, and would likely remain so due to the availability of water. Besides, Nurn isn't the only region which has bordering mountains that would become green- seem to remember the region east of barad dur would too.

well, Nurn served as a place where slaves grew food for the gigantic mordor armies..

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

You know volcanic grounds are some of the most fertile grounds so it's total bullocks there is nothing there

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze View Post
    That would make even less sense- Nurn was the most fertile part of Mordor, and would likely remain so due to the availability of water. Besides, Nurn isn't the only region which has bordering mountains that would become green- seem to remember the region east of barad dur would too.
    Not really taking sense into the equation here, just thinking about what would look best cosmetically.

Edit: Jeez. chill people Not arguing for it as an inclusion into the mod, just asking whether it would be possible to do it yourself.

Yeah it looks weird seeing all that green and then suddenly black mountains, and then another small patch of green afterwards...
    If one can't change the mountains, (and green mountains would look odd too) then I'd prefer having only green patches of land around the settlements (the way they are distributed inside Mordor would pretty much cover almost all of the land anyway). It even reinforces the idea that the green is "growing" as the land is being healed...
    As one user said, an opposite effect could also be used for the orc (I was going to say "evil", but then reminded we don't want scorched Harad or Rhun...) factions enabling them to "corrupt" the land.
    If it is indeed done in such way, you could incorporate the effect in the Culture Bonus line of buildings... That way the higher the level of the building, the larger the patch of green/scorch it would spread around the settlement (If I recall correctly this is how the farm effect worked... The higher level the farm, the larger the "farmed" patch around the settlement). And if the opposing faction took back the settlement, the green/scorch would go away because culture buildings are destroyed when the settlement is lost to another faction! Quite an elegant solution... IF, of course, we can make it work ^^

Anyway kudos to all those who are trying their best!

Bump^^

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234