Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Green" Mordor

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: "Green" Mordor

The dark texture of Mordor's terrain is incredibly annoying to me: i have to stress my eyes just to check my unit's position.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

mmmh... isnīt there an avtive volcano?
    Who is dump enough to live next to that? Nothing can grow there as every day new ashes is coming down... I always thaught thatīs why its so dark there...
    Exept all people near Neapel and Yellow Stone Park... they are not of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Who is dump enough to live next to that?
    The Orodruin isn't always active, that's why maybe some settlements could be built around it, and not left even if the volcano wakes up. Just how it works in the real world.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

When Amon Amrath awakes, it's a sign ''s coming'.
    For some time in the TA is reamins 'dead'- when Sauron returns to Barad-dur, it awakes.
    Thus come the name 'Mount of Fate'- 'Mount of Doom'.
    Aure entuluva!

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsTemplar View Post
    When Amon Amrath awakes, it's a sign ''s coming'.
    For some time in the TA is reamins 'dead'- when Sauron returns to Barad-dur, it awakes.
    Thus come the name 'Mount of Fate'- 'Mount of Doom'.
    So... this vulcano is active only if Sauron is "there" ?!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Sauron "awakened" it one can say. When Sauron dies, it falles apart
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Sort of- Sauron's linked to the volcano through the One Ring forged deep in the mountain itself...
    And it's destruction probably caused the largest eruption(IIRc, can't remember if it's mentions or just movie savvy)
    Sauron's presence may not be the only cause and 'requirement' for the volcano to awake- but it's related surely.
    The Sindarin name does mean something indeed.
    Aure entuluva!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    Yeah but that has the RTW diplomacy and we all know that it ruins every game
    Apparently in the new version to be released soon (we all hope) they have fixed the diplomacy so that allies dont attack you. If they have actually achieved this in the RTW engine they are modding Gods but in any case the storyline and lore of FATW (which they have done really carefully and respectfully imho) is such that Good and Evil are much more obscure and there is more of a reason for any faction to fight each other anyway.

On the farming textures thing I know that the farms do affect the campaign but to what extend and how much this is controllable by modders I have no idea. If you could get a really strong visual effect it would be great to allow good factions to try and heal the land.

I would love to see this feature! I don't have any modding skills, but can anyone try it? Should be fairly simple if these 3 steps are possible:

-Make a building that's only available to the good factions.
    -Make so that it can only build in areas that meet a special requirement (either an AOR type thing, a per-region authorization, or dependent on the existence of a "special" resource) and give it only to the Mordor regions.
    -Make that building grant the "green" texture of crops (I believe this effect has been disabled by this mod. It's only a matter of reinstating it under these "special" circumstances), and enlarge it's area to cover most of the region.

As a bonus, you could give it special features to convey the idea that the region has been colonized by a "good" faction, such as giving cultural bonus to that faction, or pop-growth bonus due to the renewed fertility of the land!

Mordor in my game is starting to look a little greener, at least, as I upgrade settlements as the High Elves. You see a nice green settlement with trees. I like to imagine that the lands are healing very slowly, even if there isn't much of a visual representation of it.

if you could get this to happen with good factions why not with evil factions? like how Isengard went from a fertile beautiful tree garden to a black, ash-covered area filled with pits and caverns. ive heard the farm idea before on a different mod (Warcraft Total War, in regards to plague cauldrens and the effect on the area it would have) and it seems to be quite a viable option. its probably the best choice actually. but w/e good luck with that

Yes I guess you could also make it with evil factions ^^ I hadn't thought of that but yes it makes sense!

Hallow's Avatar Ducenarius

This is, bar none, my most wanted feature in TATW, submod or otherwise. At the moment I just avoid actually conquering Mordor proper and limit myself to holding them in by defending Minas Ithil and the Black Gate.
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Indeed! I've just registered on the forums and this was, along with praising a sub-mod and making some suggestions to it, the main reason for me doing so!

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I do not think Mordor needs changing. It would take thousands of years to fully remove the evil of Souron and the mod does not last 1/10 that time
    Even if you were to take Mordor right away and hold it until the final turn your faction would have held it only 1/10th of the time required to start changing the land.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Thousands of years? I know a guy who can do it in 12! His uncle's got this ultimate set of tools.

Well, at least Gondor seems to have achieved not much in nearly 2000 years...

On a more serious note, of course there is someone who could do it in an instant:

(Look towards the end, 3:30 more or less...)

Wow, now we know what would happen if the One Ring ever got into the hands of an overly ambitious gardener!

Quote Originally Posted by marceror View Post
    Wow, now we know what would happen if the One Ring ever got into the hands of an overly ambitious gardener!
    Eheh ^^

But seriously, can anyone try this out?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Pipoka View Post
    I would love to see this feature! I don't have any modding skills, but can anyone try it? Should be fairly simple if these 3 steps are possible:

-Make a building that's only available to the good factions.
    -Make so that it can only build in areas that meet a special requirement (either an AOR type thing, a per-region authorization, or dependent on the existence of a "special" resource) and give it only to the Mordor regions.
    -Make that building grant the "green" texture of crops (I believe this effect has been disabled by this mod. It's only a matter of reinstating it under these "special" circumstances), and enlarge it's area to cover most of the region.
    As an initial test run perhaps just "switch on" farming map effects in this region and see what it looks like. Not literally "switch on"; I'm sure that it is a lot more involved than that. I have no idea how myself. Even patches of green would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Butters I View Post
    Are changes to the campaign map reflected in save games? If so you could use a command line switcher ala .:Zack Fair:.'s Arnor/Eriador switcher.
    I was wondering this too. Another copy of the map with green (grass) features/terrain in this area.
    Last edited by Withwnar; January 10, 2012 at 01:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast