Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 13/03/2011)

Default The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 13/03/2011)

" We have shared the incommunicable experience of war. We have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top. In our youths, our hearts were touched with fire."

OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES

Perhaps the worst disaster for a nation -after losing its independence- is probably the civil war. Almost in all cases, history describes civil wars as very bloody affairs that cost great loses in human and material resources, while their results are extended for long time after its official end. The American Civil War (1861-1865) was such a brutal 4 years war which left behind 970.000 casualties ( 3% of the population), but also unsolved social, political, economic and racial tensions which continue to shape contemporary American thought. The causes of the war, the reasons for the outcome, and even the name of the war itself, are subjects of much controversy, even today.

"The Civil War" is the most common name, particularly in modern American usage. That is the name I also gave to this mod which is about the war between the American states. I've tried to combine the great CA's game of ETW, some of the excellent work of the Blue and the Gray mod team and the history of the civil war. Futures like historical portraits or the chronicle of the war give the opportunity to the player to enjoy a quality game and the same time to get some filling of the historical period mod is referred to. The grey, black and white colours that have been used in game's menu, loading screens, etc. represent the atmosphere of a fratricidal war, as it is the civil war, written among the blackest pages of a nation's history...

TCW mod contains 6 campaigns in first official release. Three of them can be played as Confederate States and three as Union States. There are two "classic" and one "mission" campaign for each. Classic are the campaigns where both factions start more or less according the historical positions they had after the seceding of the southern states. They are available in global map (grand campaign) and American map (warpath campaign). Mission campaigns start in non historical positions and are available only in global map. In CS mission, the Confederate owns only Virginia and N&S Carolinas. The rest Southern states have established the Lower Southern States which is allied to CS, while Union is in whole piece. In second turn a mission is assigned for CS and if it is successful LCS joins CS.

US mission has a different scenario. Here Union States own Pennsylvania, New York and New England. The Northern States from Maine to Illinois belong to Northern Confederate States allied to US. All the rest states are separate individual factions with southern states allied to CS which owns only Virginia. Meryland, Kentucky and Missouri States are neutral to both US and CS. In second turn a mission is assigned by NCS to US with the reward of unification in one nation. Northern states recruit Union type units and southern Confederate type.

Special Thanks

Blue and the Gray mod team

Danova

Britabroad

Swiss Halberdier

KungfuSerge

Features:

* New mod launcher, even more powerful and friendly for the player with additional utilities and detailed Help.

* New starting positions coded in a new way, no CTD or save bugs.

* Scripting mission campaigns.

* All four game languages are now supported (En, Fr, Ge, Sp).

* Starting date 1860. All dates have been changed accordingly for all factions, characters, and units.

* 12 turns/year.

* Civil War Chronicles based on the historical research of Britabroad.

* AOR recruitment for elite units. For example 20th of Maine can be recruited only in... Maine region.

* General Lee is the most skilful general. Generally Confederate generals have better attributes than Union generals.

* New AI for campaign and battle. I've made a new AI which is already tested for some time now in SD2 mod whit great results. It is a combination of the best elements of existing AI modifications that can be found in TWC forums, plus some changes of mine especially for TCW campaigns.

* All factions are enforced so TCW campaign will be no more a walk on the park as it used to be. On the contrary campaign will be very challenging even in standard level of difficulty.

* New menu video and loading screens based on real photos from Civil War. The material is from the excellent documentary of Ken Barns about Civil War.

* Historical government members and icons for US and CS.

* Nine historical starting US and CSA generals and one US admiral.

* CS and US have the same number of major cities, total 3 for each faction.

* Models for most common European units have been changed. For the moment the icons are the same but as you will see in battlefield the models are different.

* Added generic portraits for European generals, gentlemen, ministers and rakes.

* Other changes.

See next posts in this page and Preview thread for more infos

Installation

TCW 4.0a Download Links:

(MegaUpload)

Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IUIR750H

Part 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VNTQGLY

Part 3 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T6SEJZLX

Part 4 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F20EL0GM

(MediaFire)

Part 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?x4m2f421a33fjkd

Part 2 http://www.mediafire.com/?sf3zib4bcqe161y

Part 3 http://www.mediafire.com/?dz7tigbauaaoznu

Part 4 http://www.mediafire.com/?oq466q8u9vq9g2

Torrent Download

TORRENT (one file): http://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Civi...9f2ba07ac5768c

Download all 4 parts and keep them on the same place (e.g. your desktop). Extract part 1 (right click on it and extract). Windows will automatically extract all 4 of them and will create TCW4a.exe.Run it, follow instructions and install it in your game's directory. There is a default path for C: \Programs Files (x86)\Steam\...\empire total war\, but if you have the game installed in a different location redirect the installer in the right path.

Mod uses
    its own mod folders and vanilla files are not overwritten. Also during setup installation will check if player has a user.empire_script.txt file and if not it will create one for him. There are detailed instructions in mod launcher, just click on Help button.

In next post you can find detailed infos on installing, running and troubleshooting.

###

Alternative music pack: rohan97 has make his own set of mod music. You can find his work here:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...90#post9023590

###

Remove mod:

Run uninstall link in Start Programs The Civil War or the one in ...\empire total war\.
    Last edited by husserlTW; March 15, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 10/02/2011)

The Civil War Mod for ETW

Handling ETW or NTW mods is a painful procedure not only in creating them but also using them for playing. That is why I've followed the addition of a launcher in my mods, trying to create as much as possible a friendly user interface. Equipped with powerful scripts, it makes the installation easy and the use of mod just a matter of couple of clicks.

What is new in TCW launcher

As of you have used another mod of mine you will be familiar with launcher. However there are some changes in TCW launcher, making players' life even easier. You can have access in this infos by clicking the Help button in launcher.

An important change has to do in the way of automatic editing of user.empire_script.txt. Also there is a new page with additional options that help player customize mod as he likes. Last some messages have been added to inform or warn the user about critical changes.

Installing TCW launcher

Run mod's set up file to install it in your game's directory. There is a default path for C:\Programs Files (x86)\Steam\...\empire total war\, but if you have the game installed in a deferent location, just redirect the installer in the right path.

During the installation Setup makes the necessary folders where the mod files are copying. It uses its own mod folders and original files are never overwritten. Also during setup it cheeks if player has a user.empire_script.txt file and if not it creates one for him.

Using TCW launcher

You can start TCW by using either the shortcut on your desktop or the one in Start Programs\The Civil War folder of the mod. You can also use the executable file TCW.exe, which is located in <HD>:\Steam\...\empire total war\TCW \ folder, to start the mod or create a new shortcut if you accidentally have deleted one.

When TCW starts, launcher keeps a backup of player's existing user.script.txt in the created ...\scripts\TCW folder and replaces it with the mod's one. Until now my mod launchers used to add in new user script the existing mod commands of the player (if any) plus the current mod's command. Now in current user script there is only the TCW mod command. However if player wants to add the command of a compatible mod that he likes to use combined with TCW, he can easily access the file from launcher's Options page for editing.

Main page

After TCW has been launched the starting page is appeared with main menu. Here you can choose to go in Options page, either in CS or in US campaign pages.

Tip: Place your mouse cursor over a button to get additional infos.

Options page

Having in mind players' suggestions or difficulty reports I've added in TCW launcher an Options page. Several actions can be made here. You can disable some futures of the mod, either because you do not like them or because you experience some problem, edit user.empire_script.txt, preferences.user_empire.txt or change the language of the game ( English by default).

One more useful utility has been added that works like this: it moves all the files that are not vanilla or do not belong to TCW, in a folder which has been created during setup called NonVanillaFiles and it is stored in game's data folder. None of these files is deleted and easily can be copied back.

Campaign Pages

Here you can select the campaign you want to play. Make sure you are ready to go because after you click on the campaign button, the game will start automatically!

Closing TCW launcher

You have to make sure that you always close launcher after you have closed the game. For being able a click 'n play mod to be delivered, some changes must be done in game's files especially in data folder. These changes are made by mod launcher every time it starts and they are restored back when you finish playing. As you may know, if the game is running no changes are allowed to be done in data folder, that is why it is critical to have launcher running until the game is closed. After that all changes will be restored and your game's installation will be like mod does not exist. You can play a vanilla game or another mod without warring about
    TCW. If you want to play TCW again just... click 'n play!

When launcher restores files a report is shown in a cmd window and must always be exactly like this:

If for any reason you think that something didn't go well or report says about files that have not restored do this: close it, start TCW again, let it load the mod files and then just exit! This time the report will be successful!

Troubleshoot

It is strongly recommended to disable or remove any other mod from your game's installation the first time you'll run The Civil War mod. After you are sure that it works properly you can try to combine it with another mod to see if it is compatible.

The most common issues that prevent a mod to run properly are:

1. Wrong installation

Mod must be installed in game directory which is <Hard Disk>\Program Files <or Program Files (x86)> \Steam\steamapps\ common\empire total war\. A quick way to check it is with right click on mod's shortcut, Properties. Target path should be ...\empire total war\TCW\TCW 4.exe.

2. Bad user. empire_script.txt entry

In user script file must be present the mod command: mod TCW_Sounds_Music.pack; You can access your file in Options page. Make sure that only this command line is present in your file and only once.

3. Another mod file

If you have left (or forgotten) a file(s) from another mod, perhaps it conflicts with TCW files. If you are not sure which files belong where, go in Options and run Check Game's Files utility. It will move any non vanilla files in NonVanillFiles folder (they won't be deleted).

4. A pirate game version

Game is very cheap now so there is no excuse not to buy an original copy. Some problems like CTD on game's start (unspecified error) are related with pirate versions and cannot be fixed.

5. False anti-virus actions

Some anti-virus like Avir and McAfee, consider some of the mod files as a threat and delete them without asking user. Then you receive an error the some exe file could not been found. These are false alarms as the anti-virus companies admitted (see the relative topic in mod's thread). If you experience any of these problems, adjust your anti-virus not to delete automatically potential threats, but ask you first or change it. There are many free good anti-virus programs out there. Personally I use Avast (free edition) for many years without a problem.

If you are experience a problem and need technical help, post it here. Please avoid generic expressions like: " game does not start or it won't load", "I get a CTD", etc. Instead try to be specific about it like when exactly the problem appeared and provide any additional infos you observed or you think that might help.
    Last edited by husserlTW; March 14, 2011 at 07:39 AM.

The Civil War Chronicles

Chronicle is a completely new future introduced in a ETW mod. It is about historical events that are appeared in every turn (after the second turn). The historical infos are elaborated
    by Britabroad. The events between 1861-1865 are presented in game on their historical accurate month. In this beta release events are presented until December of 1865.

A small window informs the player about the current month and the headline(s) of the event(s) that are included in Chronicle article(s). In this way player can see the contents in case that there are more than one event and decide if and which he will read. In the example below you can see that in current turn it is July of 1860 and 2 articles are included in Chronicle about Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis:

Last edited by husserlTW; February 22, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

(Reserved..)

nice version but wen can we finaly al cs campains

Soon, very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Soon, very soon...
    very great but can you tell my if the names are the right names
    i mean the nation name like cofedrece have reali the name confedrece
    instead of scotland

They have the right names unless you use another _loc pack that conflicts with TCW_camp2_loc.pack. You can use only one _loc file at a time.

this. Is. My last. Question. About
    Update and. Campaigns
    If the. First. Update. Or patch is. Realist wich campaign are playeble

Next campaign is gonna be a classic campaign but for Warpath map. It has been to long without one. Then... surprises will follow ! CSA campaigns (warpath and mission for grand) are ready but I am trying to add some new stuff I've discovered lately.
    Last edited by husserlTW; February 12, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

do you have a realse date on the mision campain i thik thats gonna bay the best campainof the nexst months
    Last edited by rohan97; February 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Not lately than this week.

UPDATE: CSA classic Warpath campaign has been added.

Default Re: The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 14/02/2011)

IN WICH CAMPAIN CAN I PLAYCUSTOM BATTLES AND IAM I RIGHT THAT THERE WILL BAY A MISSIONCAMPAIN FOR BOTH GRANT CAMPAIN MAP AND FOR WHARPHAT MAP

Default Re: The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 14/02/2011)

These are only campaign mods and fr the moment mission campaign will be available for grand campaign.

Default Re: The Civil War - Installation ...... (last update 18/02/2011)

VERY STABLE!! Thank you, I love playing this mod! I've gone through a warpath map campaign and am now on to the Grand Campaign. No crashes. No savegame issues. I love it.

I especially love the menu when you launch the game, all the images and Ashokan Farewell playing in the background, I always stop for a minute just to enjoy that screen.

Job well done!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

is there a way to let jeferson davis and his ministrs stay during the civill war time
    an are the
    The Civil War Chronicles

all missions or info about the civill war

Quote Originally Posted by fifthfloyd View Post
    VERY STABLE!! Thank you, I love playing this mod! I've gone through a warpath map campaign and am now on to the Grand Campaign. No crashes. No savegame issues. I love it.

I especially love the menu when you launch the game, all the images and Ashokan Farewell playing in the background, I always stop for a minute just to enjoy that screen.

Job well done!!! Thank you thank you thank you!
    Thanks! I am very glad you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by rohan97 View Post
    is there a way to let jeferson davis and his ministrs stay during the civill war time an are theThe Civil War Chronicles all missions or info about the civill war
    They stay for much more. Chronicles include historical events about Civil War that happened the very same month with the turn you play (1861-1865).

Btw, I suggest to make a post with a link of your music pack and instructions. Then I will add a link of your post in Installation instructions, so the players have an alternative music pack to download.
    Last edited by husserlTW; February 21, 2011 at 06:04 AM.

Hello,
    First i'm French so sorry for the bad writing.
    When can whe have the chance to play whit the Union army?
    Thank you for this mod, I like this periode.

Soon, very soon.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast