Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Scaeva - 541AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Scaeva - 541AVC

You mean the Maceadonians who we have a land border with?Who are at war with Allys we have sworn to protect?

There lies another issue. Our consul is dead, having committed suicide by his own hands. Now, Rome is in need of a senior magistrate. The capacity of a governor had always been to protect his province, not to go on offensive wars against the enemy. The defense of Dyrrhacium is Pallas' primary objective, not the conquest of Macedon. Therefore, I propose a motion.

I. Suffectus Consul elections be held
    II. One of the two consuls will take the war into Dyrrhacium and repel the Macedonians

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

What of you Scaurus, would you take Septimus' place?

Also, to aid in the assimilation of our recent conquests would it not be prudent to take the temples of their false Gods to the ground and erect temples to our own in their stead?
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

You would paint me in a picture of ambition, wouldn't you, Gerges? Accuse me of stopping your lapdog Pallas and claiming glory all on my own, will you? I am made of sterner stuff, I will not fall for your traps, your political maneuvers. I decline your nomination.

As for the temples in the native lands, far better to leave them for now and increase garrisons, colonists and other such factors. However, do tear down the filthy halls where men go to get drunk and lose their faculty, leading to unrest and rebellion.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Such accusations hurt Scaurus, you misjudge my intent completely, you are correct it is the governors role to defend his province not to gallivant off in pursuit of military glory. As you were the one to bring this up I simply felt that you should have the right to take the position first. I think if we have seen anything over the past years it is that Pallas is no ones lap dog and your previous triumphs more than show your worth to the Republic.

In truth considering your blatant disdain of Pallas I am surprised you did not let this slip of protocol prevail and let Pallas skewer himself on Macedonian phalanxes. I guess you are simply better than these "political manoeuvres".

Pallas skewers himself on the Macedonian phalanxes and we lose the only defensive force in the East, not to mention the Greek pretender that has joined our ranks. Remember, the man pledged fealty to Pallas, not to the Senate, and certainly not to Rome. What would happen should his master fall? Will he take up the city and create a Romano-Hellenistic nation for himself with the Romanized infantry? It would descend into madness.

Crusades

You act as though the loss of Pallas would wipe out the entire force. Armies have lost their generals yet still carried the day both due to the skill of the officers below and the courage of the soldiers.

I doubt any Romans would follow a Greek in Pallas' stead. Indeed, this would be Greek despot has no experience in running a kingdom let alone military tactics and economic structure. Scaurus, Roman soldiers have taken the heads of established Kings for years, I am sure that not one of them would fear a failed would be King let alone join with him. If my motion is followed that will not be the sole force in the East for an allied legion will join them and your fears of destruction will be assuaged. The idea that Roman men and officers will stand by and allow a Greek failure to integrate them into a new Kingdom is lunacy, a scare tactic as I am sure my fellow Senators will agree.

There are few Romans left in Dyrrhacium. It is a largely Greek town, held by Italians recruited from Magna Graecia. Greek by blood, Latin in War. Pallas has precious few men left who are truly Roman or Latin. This will prove to be fatal should he die. These Greeks are fiercely independent, if you will recall Croton's rebellion. What's to stop them from declaring independence at Pallas' death?

Crusades

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Scaurus, remember that there is no man able to raise a rebellion against Rome, and the least one to do that is the Greek failure you speak of. Im sure that every soldier in our legion is loyal to Rome. Now we should let the army rest in Dyrrhacium. There is no urgent need to send a new commander to lead our army in Dyrrhacium, and we can let them wait and defend the city while we prepare for revenge war against the Macedonians.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

I still think that the Carthiginans pose a more serious threat than those Greek wanna-be Macedonians. We should strengthen the provinces on the island of Sicily and the provinces located in Spain. Failure to do so would, i beleive, would lead Carthage to strike at the areas that they deemed weak. We must also protect these areas in Spain from the barbaric Iberian tribes. I suggest we begin building more military buildings in Spain and in Sicily, as we cannot simply be raising legions in Italy whenever needed, they must be raised elsewhere.

You mean those legions composed of Roman Citizens?Who live in Rome?

Now I understand that Macedonia is a concern,but first we must decide what is to be done about Tingi and Carthage herself,what are the Senate's thoughts on my suggestions for the terms of Carthage's surrender?

Misterchief's Avatar Libertus

Your terms of surrender seem adequate, Caldius, though I do find one point of contention. You say that Carthage will be under our protection, do you mean to imply that they will be protectorate to Rome? Carthaginian in name and in blood, but under Roman rule? If those are your terms, I ask you this:

Do you really believe this is wise, Caldius? The Carthaginians have no proper inclination to acquiesce to our demands. We have taken their outlying settlements, routed their besieging armies, yet we haven't struck them nearly hard enough to instill in them the same kind of fear our citizens have felt. I will support your asking Carthage to surrender, but if they decline, I propose that we strike them where it hurts most. I propose that we gather our strength and attack Carthage itself.
    Muh Arche Seleukia

We have taken their richest settlements,routed every army brought against us,slayed their greatest general and pushed them back into Africa.They are powerless and we have bigger problems to face and treaties to honour.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

To those senators that propose Carthage's surrender. Do you honestly believe that Carthage is so weakened to even contemplate surrender at this stage? We may have driven them off of Iberia, but they still have many holdings in Africa...fertile land at Carthage itself, ample trade, and plenty of funds for a military. We may have scored a victory in one theater of war...but it was merely a battle. Carthage will not give in to our demands unless we completely burn the city to the ground.
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Agreed, Constantinus. If we do propose the terms of their surrender, we must expect that they will decline. Having given them the option of Roman mercy, I feel that it would only be right to follow up their rejection with Massive retaliation. Perhaps we could mount a quick strike against them using the troops we may be moving from Iberia to Illyria?
    Muh Arche Seleukia

So do we agree on these terms?We can easly crush Carthage if they refuse.

On those grounds, I will agree to those terms.
    Muh Arche Seleukia

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Good.. they still are not so weakened they could not defend themselves..but weak they are..
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Then whom do we send to bargain with the Carthaginians? Who will be our emissary?

Crusades

Who would have more sway with them, more influence, more intimidation than Septimus?
    It would seem fitting for him to go, to atone for his brothers "sins".

I nominate Septimus on these grounds to bargain with the Carthaginians, let the face of the family that has delved into Africa be the showing of Rome.