Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Scaeva - 541AVC

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Scaeva - 541AVC

I will deal with the mercenaries, Scaeva, don't worry about that. Now it is up to you, Septimus, what kind of a cavalry component do you want. There is a lot of mercenaries we can choose from, so let us this rare luxury now when we most need it.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

How can you be sure that the Spanish mercenaries will be loyal? Carthage is rich and men's noses are turned by money, hiring mercenaries is a big risk.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

They do anything for gold. They fight for them who pay the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiar93 View Post
    They do anything for gold. They fight for them who pay the best.
    Exactly,and who has more gold then Carthage?

They cannot just simply walk in and bribe our mercenaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiar93 View Post
    They cannot just simply walk in and bribe our mercenaries.
    Yes they can.

Or even if Carthage doesn't Bribe them,who's to say that they will not simply betray us themselves.

Remember what happened in Messena?

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

A messenger runs into the curia, bearing a letter from Consul Septimus from Hispania. he reads it aloud for the Senate to hear

Esteemed Senators of Rome,
    I wish to inform you that my legion is encamped in southern Hispania, preparing to assault the Punic settlement at the Pillars of Hercules. Presently, I have not yet hired any mercenaries, but that likely shall change with some Iberian cavalry. I also would like to alert the senate that the Carthaginian garrison is rather large, but untrained, reports come in reading of skirmisher troops and archers mostly. While i have no doubt in the Legion's abilities, there will undoubtably be casualties on our end. it is with that knowledge that i urge the Senate to prepare a legion to be sent to reinforce our position in Iberia. I shall report soon on the battle and its outcome in time. For now, Bona Fortuna!
    Gaius Julius Septimus, Consul and Commander of the Roman Legion in Iberia
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

I believe it would be a good idea to hire spanish cav to do the dirty work of chasing down the fleeing carthiginian skrimishers and archers. As they will no doubt flee before the might of Rome.

What a fool...

The words came in the form of a stage whisper in the back of the room. Lucius went towards the scribe, he had been collecting census data the last few months and double-checking them to make sure they were accurate. He had been hearing of the debates in the Curia and his next words were suppressed but far beyond fury.

He says he needs more men hmm? Since when, esteemed senators, did I ask for more men? Did I ask for more when Hannibal rampaged through Italy? After the defeat at Trasimene? Did I wait for the recruitment of our proper Roman legion before pressing on Genoa? Did we need reinforcements to take the Baleares and Cathargo Nova, settlements with far better defenses?

The answer is no senators. Not only is he asking for reinforcements but he further insults this body by proposing changes to the military. Not only are they changes that could prove disastrous, they are changes that are unnecessary and foolish. He also just a month ago sent away his reinforcements he asked for.

The worst crime of all senators, is that he has disorganized the legion, split it into small parties for garrison duty that should fall to mercenaries at worst and local allies at best. He has proven that he cannot even take a lightly-held settlement in Spain and proven his incompetence time and time again.

I do not doubt his courage, rather I commend it but that man is not fit to lead men into battle, nor is he fit enough to change our military structure which if I would remind you has not failed us yet nor will it in the foreseeable future.

Scaurus was able to conquer and let's not forget reconquer Northern Spain from sizable garrisons without any support from Rome against skilled Punic soldiers and well-armed rebels of the Latin League, with half a legion. why does he need another? Why does his colleague Scaeva create such monstrosities such as the "emergency legions" we have seen?

I propose a motion, this will be my last to try and knock some common sense into you senators.

Lex Valeria De Re Militari -541AVC:

I. The emergency legion's Roman portion will be sent to Illyria under the governor, including the Latin cavalry.
    II. A second Allied legion will be recruited from Capua and Arretium to add to the existing emergency forces recruited by consul Scaeva.
    III. The legions until further notice will be of the same, standardized, structure.
    IV. Until we face a greater threat or Rome must adapt to survive, no changes will be made to the structure to maintain easy unit replenishment and supply.
    V. The legions will use the following structure attached to the bill.

Legion Composition
    1 Tribune
    2 Equites
    10 Cohorts
    3 Triarii
    2 Velites
    2 Mercenaries(At commanders' discretion)/Campanian Cavalry(Allied Legion Mandate)

We must preserve our military and most of all, standardize our supply system. We can't very well have masses of cavalry and archers that we cannot supply efficiently, not even the Diodachi have the horse breeding skill Alexander had to his advantage in the past. We must have a set order of battle that we can form strategies around and work with or else we will lose in this pinprick warfare overseas. We simply do not have the coffers to supply or trust mercenary armies, we must put our complete trust in Roman citizens and her allies.

The military is only the start of our problems though isn't it? Aren't all of you the filthy bunch of warmongers. Pray tell, how are you planning on supplying your wars of glory? Not only are these wars with which you mention unnecessary and would cost thousands of Roman lives, they are illegal. Any attempt to attack the now peaceful Gauls who we are trading with will be met by immediate marks against their family name at best.

How would you supply an expedition like that? Hannibal lost much crossing the Alps and he made allies there, you would be making enemies. How would you recruit enough troops? Our freedmen and citizens as well as our allies are being stretched to the breaking point let alone our coffers being weakened severely by non-stop warfare. The people are becoming weary of war so it must end. After we own Spain they'll have lost the war anyway, all it would take is a strike into Africa itself in strength.

Then and only then senators, can we turn our sights to Greece, not Gaul. If you haven't forgotten, we have obligations to the world at large and not just to Rome. We are at war in Greece to stop the Macedonians from attacking the city-states and Sparta and that's just what we'll do or again must I ask you senators, when did our policy for low-cost defensive warfare change?

I leave those proposals and questions to this august body and I will sacrifice to the gods that you may make the correct decision.

Last edited by dragoon47; February 16, 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

A dispatch arrives from Macedonia.

Conscript Fathers.

I have relieved the siege of Dyrrhacium and repelled the Macedonian army making incursions into our holdings. But what disgusts me when I discovered the situation was the utter decadence and luxury the previous governor has seen fit to secure in the region. Instead of organizing an effective government, he has seen fit to invest the Republic's treasury in building vineyards. I have dismantled the vineyard that are not yet completed, liquidated all of the assets and investments, and have begun proper Romanization of the province.

As for the actual battle itself, I shall say that it was not so much a battle as more of a slaughter. However, there was also the issue that because Dyrrhacium lacks the proper Roman values and cultural education, its citizens are unwilling to stand and fight for Rome. I fear that much like Scaurus' proconsulship in Spain years ago, my governorship in Macedonia will not even see the completion of a Romanized province. But more on that later, I'm sure you are all anxious to know what I've done with the paltry few troops I had at my disposal.

Our forces were more or less the same in number, with both of us bringing a sizeable force to bear on the field. I had the numerical advantage, but the Macedonian general was far more heavily armed. As such, I could not simply charge head on to assault him. But as we stepped forth from behind the city walls and into the open field of Macedonia, the sheer beauty of the vista seemed to give the men added resolve to fight.

Recognizing that if I wished to end this battle with minimal casualties, I would need to neutralize the enemy's missile fire. As such, I asked for volunteers to act as javelin fodder. One brave Italian, a Quintus Minucius Fidenas, volunteered himself as well as the men that had followed him from Veii. They knew that some of them will not survive this task but they had hoped that citizenship may be granted to them as reward for their services on this campaign. Without even much prodding from me, the men under Quintus Minucius marched forward, eager to engage the enemy.

I could not tell what was going on at the distance, but Quintus Minucius sent back regular messengers to inform me that the initial skirmsh was going as well as we had imagined they would. The enemy missile units were showering our forces with missiles, but we stood too far apart for them to be of any effect.

Once the messenger confirmed my suspicions that the enemy was out of missiles to hurl at our troops, I advanced the main body of my army. By then the light infantry under Quintus Minucius had depleted their own missiles and were eagerly rushing back to join our lines. However, they were cut off by the enemy light cavalry. Recognizing the danger this presented to my men, I ordered my maniple of Triarii to charge forward and destroy the enemy cavalry.

At this point, the Roman infantry, supported by the local levies that had seen fit to join our cause, engaged with the Macedonian phalanx. While at the same time, I formed a cavalry pincer around the enemy theureophori and cut them down with Roman knights.

With the enemy support troops eliminated from the field, I swung my cavalry around and smashed into the phalanx's rear.

At the same time, the Triarii rushed and slammed into the rear of the other phalanx engaged in battle with the Roman infantry.

The combined result broke the enemy's resolve to fight and we carried the day.

I gave order to pursue every last Macedonian to the man and stripped their warriors of their arms. From amongst the plunder came many mail shirts, well kempt swords, solid shields, and rings from the enemy cavalry. The plunder I have melted down and either replaced the worn weapon of my soldiers or have repurposed for other construction needs. The rings and mail shirts, however, I have sent back to Rome as evidence of my words.

This, of course, brings me to my other point, Conscript Fathers. Macedonia needs to be reinforced. It cannot go on being constantly under siege from the Antigonids. Therefore I am asking you to grant either one or the other request I am about to make.

I. Prorogue my command in Macedonia for another term.

II. Send a reinforcement army consisting of 2 Polybian cohort, 2 Campanian cavalry, and 2 elite mercenary phalangite.

I remain, your faithful servant.
    Pallas Rutulus Aventinus

The messenger who carried the letter motioned and two men came inside, bearing the plunder that Pallas spoke of. One of them held a jar and tipped it over over the Senate floor. Gold and silver rings fell from the jar and plinked against the marble floor. The mail shirts were thrown on the ground and they all glittered under the light
    Last edited by chaplain118; February 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Lucius felt a smile across his face, he made no attempts to hide it. This was what he needed to deprive Septimus of his glorious campaign, a call for reinforcements in Greece.

Well Scaeva, your thought process wasn't useless after all.

Send him the Roman portion of the legions in Rome that were set for disbandment, they bought their arms already, no point in wasting them. The rest of the proposed bill contains no changes. The news brought from Rome's citizen-soldiers should bolster the morale of the rest of the Roman garrison there.

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

That sounded like an order Poplicola, not a request. You are in no position to order me around, and I do not appreciate your attempts to do so.
    Now, down to the matters in hand. As for Pallas' reinforcments, they shall be made up of 5 allied cohorts. This is my decision, but I shall allow you to know my reasoning. Firstly, these reinforcements will cost less than recruiting and maintaining the Elite Phalangite and Campanian Cavalry units. This must make you happy, as depriving the military of money seems to be your agenda. Secondly, infantry are much more adept at defending settlements than cavalry, as the main advantage of cavalry, maneuverability, is deprived within settlement walls.

OOC: Responding to Poplicolas older post.

IC: You should be ashamed Poplicola. How dare you attack a man when he is unable to defend himself.
    I shall answer in his place, as I feel compelled to defend his noble name from your attacks.
    He is praticaly asking for reinforcements. You, conquered what? Genoa? Carthago Nova with a whole legion as reinforcements, against a garrison that number in the hundreds. Our consul Septimus is far away, if things go wrong, where is the saftey net that you have enjoyed? It is better to ask for reinforcements now rather than loose Hispania because of your ire and confounded budget cuts.

You critise him for wishing to introduce mercenaries into the armies, saying they will empty our coffers. Yet you suggest that two mercenary units be incoparated into every legion. You also critisize him for leaving a unit of allied Triarii to garrison. Do you honestly think it would be a good idea to garrison such a vital, and such a newly conquered settlement with native mercenaries. Who will deciplin them, what will stop them from siding with the native population to form a state independent of Rome. No Poplicola, you yourself say the mercenaries are unreliable, so surely leaving them unsupervised would be a bad idea.

You call him incompetant, I say he is anticipating the worst, so as to prevent it from happening.

Poplicola here chooses to weild the power of Censor, in such a way that it was never intended for. I do not fear him, but, I shall not attack the Gauls we are trading with, only those independent tribes who supply Rome with nothing. These tribes are much less powerful than the Greeks you propose we attack. *Spurius chuckled*...and you call us the warmoungers!

Now senators. You voted for the defense legion, yet he is still trying to overthrow your vote. He is but one man, and cannot fight your collective power. He says you lack common sense, obviously he does not trust in Rome's political ways. It comfort me that he still takes the time to propose motions, but if there is support, and I put it to the vote, in accordance to our ways, I ask you not to support him. Really, I need not ask, as I trust you to make the right decision, unlike our Censor.
    Last edited by Nota'; February 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

ooc: remember, regular color is SCAURUS

I wonder, Poplicola, why you would support sending reinforcements to Pallas when Septimus is left to defend a far longer and far more unsecured border? Personal vendetta? Do you wish to see Septimus fail? Do recognize that should Septimus' legions be destroyed, then so will our military presence in Spain. Emporiae may be under our control again, but the Carthaginians are quite ready to make a renewed assault on us, and so are the native tribesmen.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I should be ashamed for speaking the truth then?

I do wish for him to fail, in fact it might actually build some character within him once he realizes what command truly is, not glory but leading men to their deaths. Does that mean I condone the loss of life? No, it doesn't but the fact remains. Although our strength in Spain is tenuous at best, it is concentrated, which is more than I can say for the Iberian tribes and the Punic military. One legion is all that is needed to take the rest of Southern Spain so why waste valuable time and reinforcements when we can make allies of the Carthaginian cities and export Roman weapons from Rome? We shall...teach them how to fish, shall we say.

The real issue here is mercenaries and attacks. I propose 2 mercenaries in Roman armies only to make up for the lack of cavalry or for the leading siege element. Scaeva and Septimus obviously condone nearly one third of the army being mercenaries and poor fools with javelins, reducing our amount of heavy infantry, the blood and core of our armies by 30%.

I would also remind this body that we are not at war with the Gallic tribes but we are at war with Macedonia and bound by treaty to defend the city-states, unless we want a full invasion of Sicily and Illyria from the North to begin while you're at war with the Gallic tribes, something to consider.

Lastly, I will point out the conduct of consul Scaeva, attacking my position although I have not wielded a single censorial power. Therefore, we are to conclude that I have not used it in any manner at all let alone one that it was never intended for, making his argument baseless and nearly applicable for a formal censorial warning.

We may not be at war with the Gallic tribes but that does not mean we should not be suspicious of their intentions lest we forget the last time the Gauls attacked our own City, sacked her temples, and desecrated the Poemerium. They would see our position in Spain as weak if we do not even attempt to bolster our forces. Whereas in Macedonia, it would seem that Pallas is doing quite given the resources. As such, we have little to truly worry about in the east and should concentrate our efforts in the west.

Crusades

I never did say what to do with the Roman legion, it is quite obvious to me that the allied legion in the motion would take some time to form. In the meantime we could be attacking in the West with our Roman legion but our "wise" consuls pulled it out of Hispania the first chance they got.

Lucius sighed. He could tell that the work put into getting Illyria out of the red was wasted.

Senators, while I disagree with the Censor's way of doing things, I do agree that we need not expand into Northern Italy yet. The Makedonians are our major enemy currently, not the Gauls south of the Alps. We shall deal with them in due time. However, Makedonia is full of gold and silver, something the Gauls merely stare at in wonder, knowing not what to do with it. If we were to take the Balkans, we could fund a campaign into Northern Italy.

However, I believe that we still need to continue our campaign in Spain. The reason why I propose that we do not use Allied men, but republican cohorts, is because we do not need unrest. The allied men recruited in, say, Carthago Nova, would not appreciate killing what they may deem to be their own countrymen. We should not reinforce Consul Spetimus' legion with allied men from Spain.

I also recommend sending Consul Scaeva and the allied legion to Makedonia. They would be the ones to lead the campaign, at least to the capital, and maybe even further from there.

Therefore, I propose(OOC:Hopefully the Latin seems good):

Lex Gotenii Exercitus Ordinandum

I. The ships carrying the Allied Legion with Consul Scaeva to Italy are to land at Rome.
    II. The fleet shall be fitted with three or four Republican Cohorts and sent back to Hispania to reinforce Coinsul Septimus.
    III. Consul Scaeva be sent to Makedonia to run a campaign through to their capital at least.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

A messenger comes bursting into the Curia, bearing news from Hispania

Senators, I wish to inform you all that Gadir has been taken, and its population crucified for its resistance and killing of our most revered Tribune, Fabius Maximus. However, Carthaginian resistance in Spain has been broken, and now our Governors can peacefully for the time being develop their lands. The Battle Report is as follows:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I initiated the assault on Gadir in the late morning. The Punic army numbered some 2000, mostly light skirmishers and cavalry, but also some heavy infantry of celtic stock, as well as some Libyan spearmen armed in the hoplite fashion.

Deploying for battle, we deployed in the standard: 5 Cohorts on the main line, 4 reserve, and a third line of the Triarii. Our cavalry were split on the wings, with the velites in the front. I took up my position on the right flank of our Triarii, just behind our cavalry.

The Punic army deployed in a random assortment of skirmishers, heavy infantry, and cavalry. Disorganized, but they had longer range then our legions.

As our Velites advanced across the field towards the town, punic archers began moving into position..unprotected. I immediatley order the unit of Equites on the left to chase them down and eliminate them. There was no casualties, and the archers were routed.

It was then that the Punics sent forth their Libyan spearmen to attempt an attack on our velites. the fools were whittled down but they reached our left flank and engaged our bravfe legionnaires. A band of Iberian Scutarii managed to unleash a volley of javelins at our Equites, causing substantial casualties. The Scutarii were routed however.

It was then that the main lines became entangled. Libyan and Celtiberian spearmen had become engaged with our front line. Immediately, i ordered cavalry and two reserve maniples around their left flank, as all foward maniples were engaged and unable to maneuver.

As the Punics were pushed back towards the city center, it was there that our gallant Tribune fell, pierced by a solid metal Soliferum of an iberian scutarii. It was there that we suffered the most casualties. The Carthaginians charged all of their cavalry, both light and heavy into our ranks. If it was not for our Triarii, we would have taken more casualties than that which we did.

The Battle was once again joined at the town square, where our gallant legions fought man to man with the remainder of the Punic army and the reinforcements. Their General, Mango, was killed on the spot by a roman spear. The battle was won, but not without cost.

The final Casualty report is as follows:

of the 1,534 Romans to enter the battle, 895 remain, and killing 1666 Carthaginians

Of the roughly 2000 Carthaginians, only 298 remained to tell their tale.

As you can tell Senators, the battle was not without casualties. It would be foolish to underestimate the resolve of these people to give up Hispania, as would it be idiotic to dismiss their military prowess. Of our casualties, i can assure you all the majority had come from the Soliferum of the Iberian tribes and the heavy cavalry of the Punics. Once more i am asking the glorious Senate of Rome for 2 or 3 Republican cohorts to reinforce the Legion from its losses, and if possible some cavalry. Our equites were completely slaughtered by the Carthaginians much more advanced and well trained cavalry.

While most of you would have preferred an overwhelming victory with few casualties, im afraid that is not the case out here in Hispania. The enemy is strong, and they are well trained. I humbly ask for the Senate's forgiveness for losing the 639 brave romans who died to bring glory to Rome. I await instructions on our next steps here in Hispania.

Your Servant,
    Gaius Julius Septimus
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

True, you have not abused the powers of Censor just yet Poplicola, but you have been using the position throw threats at me and the senate. I for one find this very unseemly. If Poplicola does start using his powers, I think that those who oppose him will bare the brunt, and those who ally with him will be safe from all Censorial punishments. For it seems Poplicola intends on using the office to fulfil his own agendas, and not for its true purpose.

As for the Macedonians, you overestimate our foe. What have they sent to take our one poorly defended settlement from us? However, I give you this warning, take the battles to their heartland, Makedonia's able men will be compelled to take up arms against us, turning a weak foe into a formidable one. Even if we succeed in taking Pella from the Macedonians, what next, we shall neighbor many more potentially hostile nations, with a long border that must be defended, which will cost far more than defending a smaller area, say North Italy and Cisaplian Gaul, especially since the terrain of the area does not lend itself to defense. This is not a task for one allied legion alone, if we are to attack Makedonia, we must do so focusing all our might on that theatre, or we shall be overwhelmed by counter attacks.

My congratualations to consul septimus on his victory, although it was an unfortunatly bloody day for our side. Alas it is inevitable when the enemy has an overwhelming force of cavalry and missile troops, the cohorts loose men before they even manage to get toe to toe with the enemy, to do what they do best. I am saddened by the loss of the tribune, and I shall be one of the first to offer condolenses to his family.

Tell me Scaeva, how does a continuous front from Celt-Iberia to Trans-alpine Gaul concentrate our forces? If anything it spreads our power and land to defend threefold. You say I overestimate Macedonia? Then why do you contradict your own claim by telling us of their defensive fighting skill? The terrain of the area does not favor defense? It is filled with small rivers and mountain passes perfect for it.

Do you wish Sicily to continue to be Syracuse's perpetual hostage? Do we help our allies or leave them to die, sacrificing rich Sicily for poor Gaul? You are bothered by bordering potentially hostile nations when you are turning us into a belligerent power? The sheer amount of hypocrisy in your statements are numberless, Septimus would admit to his mistakes, that's the man he is and I am glad to call him my friend but he is not yet fit to command men into battle. Work as an administrator is not the same as work as a soldier, I learned that at Trasimene, he's finally realizing it after Gadir, where the triarii that Scaeva wishes to reduce in number in future legions saved the day.

I do not like where this republic is going, neither should any of you. We have long been a defensive and honorable state. We have kept that reputation by helping our friends, honoring our treaties, making friends of former enemies and fighting only when we must. Men like Scaeva would rather see us being the belligerent, attacking other nations at will until the entire world and the gods themselves strike us down for our ignorance and false truths and piety. We cannot let ourselves be drawn into the night when the light that will save us is shining down the path ahead, if we stray we will fall into darkness and we may never return.