Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you like to control an individual unit ...

Default Would you like to control an individual unit ...

... by which I mean really control them. Like you can actually make a single unit hack or slash or defend and perform a finishing move manually. This could probably make the replay value on MTW2 soar to the sky. And this would probably be awesome when you're bored of the campaign game or just want to have more fun in multi-player. Just imagine a deathmatch between 8 other players and they actually control that unit manually instead of in squads.

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

I prefer not to, actually. Combining such things brings more workload and less time to perfect the game. So, I rather pass.

It doesn't mean I don't like it though, but it just takes up too precious development time, which should go to creating a better AI for example.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

No - the TW series strong point is using massive armies - if I'd want to control individual units I'd play the AOE series or some other arcade RTS game.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

God no! That would be a horrible idea. If you want to do that go play spartan total warrior. I would honestly kill myself if they do that.

No I believe the gerneral cam in Rome now is about as close as we need

Civitate

No, this is not a good idea at all, becaues if you cood, then you cood make armies of really cheap inf, and control them in 3rd person mode and slaughter armies of really heavy inf. Its just not Total war really. is it?
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Jesus god no!

It's a terrible idea! Why do people keep wanting this kind of thing!?

look at how crappy rise and fall looks
    understand now?
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

I dont like it either ,
    but what about controling the assasin when he tries to kill your enemies? Of course its a complete other type of gaming, but i always wondered how would that be. It would add a new element to the game, a new genre. Maybe someday, but until then this is just crazytalk

I like the idea. To me if it was included so that you could control your general it would bring the total war series closer to being the perfect game. Imagine being able to act out your generals traits in 3rd person on the battlefied! Rally the men together, race along the lines giving encouragmen, finally, when all seems lost diving in with the rest of your army for a last attack with a roar of defiance from your men and fighting to the last man making him a legend.

Of course it should only be included as a side feature when all uits are committed and victory is assured, or else when there is no other option.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Turning the TW series into a hack-n-slash game would ruin the series and lose their loyal fanbase. Don't think it would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    If you want to do that go play spartan total warrior.
    Agreed. Total War is it's own genre for a reason. Adding manual combat just ruins everything. You're supposed to be a general directing troops, not a one-man killing machine.
    "Troops should be few, but they should be excellent." - Lufti Pasha, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (1539-1541)

Default Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang
    I like the idea. To me if it was included so that you could control your general it would bring the total war series closer to being the perfect game. Imagine being able to act out your generals traits in 3rd person on the battlefied! Rally the men together, race along the lines giving encouragmen, finally, when all seems lost diving in with the rest of your army for a last attack with a roar of defiance from your men and fighting to the last man making him a legend.

Of course it should only be included as a side feature when all uits are committed and victory is assured, or else when there is no other option.
    NOW THAT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA! And that would be awesome if u can use ur general in battle and control his fighting while his army fights to . And when u need to control ur army just put ur general on autopilot.

in 15 years time when computers are superfast with super modem speeds, i can imagine Total War making a Massive multiplayer online game where a player is one person in a 10000 man army with 1000s of other human players.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySarmatian
    And when u need to control ur army just put ur general on autopilot.
    Except you can't trust the AI with your army.. let alone your general.
    "Troops should be few, but they should be excellent." - Lufti Pasha, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire (1539-1541)

Default ive thought

Quote Originally Posted by TWCForumite
    ... by which I mean really control them. Like you can actually make a single unit hack or slash or defend and perform a finishing move manually. This could probably make the replay value on MTW2 soar to the sky. And this would probably be awesome when you're bored of the campaign game or just want to have more fun in multi-player. Just imagine a deathmatch between 8 other players and they actually control that unit manually instead of in squads.
    Ive been thinking alot bout that too, like if it was like MOHAA but its in the ancient or medieval times, like where ur character fights in huge battles and he gets to rise in rank and get to be a general and make hiw own army , now that would be a game worth killing.

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

That's why we have total warrior and total war. The two should not mix.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Quote Originally Posted by Al'Thor
    That's why we have total warrior and total war. The two should not mix.
    Exactly, it's like in-breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySarmatian
    NOW THAT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA! And that would be awesome if u can use ur general in battle and control his fighting while his army fights to . And when u need to control ur army just put ur general on autopilot.
    Ever playerd with generals cam enabled in RTW? I exclusively do and it comes close enough to that expecrience imho (maybe a real 1st person view would be even better though)...

Default Ye

Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman I
    Exactly, it's like in-breeding.
    Yes i know BUT in spartan total warrior u dont actually get to fight battles in huge forests or anything its almost like zelda and not much strategy involved, now wat im saying is like seiges and stuff and watever im to lazy to descirbe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast