Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's still playing?

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Icon5 Who's still playing?

Yes, no, maybe, sometimes...

Who still plays MTW, hands up! Or just post in here
    I'm still an avid fan so I installed a fresh copy with XL Mod over it, enjoying a really nice campaign as the Turks.

Still playing?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Tiro

Default Re: Who's still playing?

Me, BKB 2.1 currenty.
    Sorry for my bad english , I don't mind correcting!

Just two players? C'mon! I'm sure many more of you are playing vanilla, XL, BKB or other mods...

Medieval Total War is still being played, 9 years after the release.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Tiro

You know, totalwar.org forum has more players playing old TW games, funny that there is a thread with the same title and it has much more responses

But wait - you have made that thread
    Last edited by HUtH; February 11, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUtH View Post
    You know, totalwar.org forum has more players playing old TW games, funny that there is a thread with the same title and it has much more responses

But wait - you have made that thread
    Yeap, I did, but I wanted to see who's still playing from both sides.

Still playing! Rather play this then Empire or Napolean, actually.
    You fear the Unibrow. That shows RESPECT.

I would LOVE to, but it refuses to work with the nvidia cards I have in both my desktop and laptop now This was easily the best of the TW series to me, along with the amazing Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome running under the Alex.exe.

As soon as I get a new pc, I'm either going to deliberately get an ATI card no matter what so I can run MTW again, or put my old, nearly burned out ATI card back into my current desktop and play MTW til the card dies for good. I miss TW games with an actual, functional AI ( since MTW was the last that had this in an unmodded state) so much...

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

I actually play STW and MTW (both vanilla) from time to time.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

some times the samurai warlord inside me makes me play it!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

TW games with an actual, functional AI ( since MTW was the last that had this in an unmodded state)
    True indeed.

I have to look again if it is still installed on my slight older pc -alone starting the game is fun as for its excellent atmosphere, and maybe i'll play once more a VI campaign some day.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

I play them occasionally. AI is awesome in Medieval
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Foederatus

I've wanted to load them back up but I'm not sure if they'll work with my computer. I'll have to dig the discs out some time to give them a go. Alas, there are so many other games I have which haven't been played so it may be a while I racked up hundreds of hours with this game, I loved it so.

For those with new nVIDIA cards, use compatibility mode in Windows XP/Me. Maximum resolution without constant crashing should be 1152x864.

I have an nVidia Card 7900GS and it works perfect for me.

Currently playing VI. Having strange crashes too. Basically it crashes every other time I load up a campaign. So the first time it'll work, the second time it'll crash, third work, fourth crash and so on. It's weird, but at least the game actually works, it just means I have to start up twice.

To be honest I've always found the campaign map of MTW and VI quite depressing, it just seems to have a darker tone than that of Shogun. The music too, is no comparison to Shogun's.

Tiro

Probably this fix helps(unless you have it):
    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|267..._CTD_Fix.zip|1
    'button_ipnext.BIF' and 'button_ipprev.BIF' - you need to paste this files over old ones in "<your med folder>\campmap\buttons".

Quick question: why the hell does a 11 and a 9 year old game have a decent ai, but the ultra modern Napoleon does not?!
    You fear the Unibrow. That shows RESPECT.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian Roman View Post
    Quick question: why the hell does a 11 and a 9 year old game have a decent ai, but the ultra modern Napoleon does not?!
    With regards to battle AI, there's no excuse really - the developers have focused on the graphical side of things and AI has been put on the back burner since the days of RTW. The best all around battle engine was the one in MTW 2.01. This engine had the best physics, realistic morale, fatigue, weather effects, missile trajectories, use of terrain, etc, etc, etc. Since then the battle engine has been in a word .

Campaign map AI is another matter. The STW/MTW campaign is a simple map divided into provinces and is thus easier for an AI to manage, but it wasn't perfect either. The newer campaign map is simply too complex for the AI to handle satisfactory hence - crap AI. This is why most of us that started playing back in the days of STW in 2000 gave up on the series once the craptastic offering that is RTW was released.

In STW the battles were the game and the map was just a means to manage those battle and string them together into something meaningful. Nowadays in the newer titles the campaign map is the game and the battles are just a show piece. Due to this the player and thus the "forumite" is very different to the one back in ~ 2000 - 2005. That's how much things have changed.
    Last edited by caravel; February 16, 2011 at 05:25 AM.

The battle Ai lost functions from MTW to RTW.

For example you can see in RTW that he always come piece meal at you with reinfocring armies, which he uses a loton the camp map - aiming to confuse the player as to how many men he will use in an engagement.

This would have all have been nice and well IF the AI could coordinate teh reinforcing armies to one army and come then at you all at once as he did in MTW. In MTW in battles with many reinforcements - typically against the Horde - the AI waits for his units to arrive and makes use of them en masse. In RTW he comes at you piece meal as said that means you can beat him in detail, and even plan his demise with fully encircling his small armies and make sure you have very few losses with max losses for the AI.

In addition the TW AI was good at the RPS match up system of the original engine that STW and MTW have in their gameplay; swords beat spears, spears beat cavs, missiles beat spears and quite a more minor match ups owithin the unit classes (fast and light cavalry beats cav archer, cav archer beats heavy and slow cav, heavy and slow cav beats heavy melee infantry etc). The AI is particularly good at matching up his units, but from RTW onwards many new unit classes were introduced that are not recognisable by the AI.

For example, phalanxes in RTW were designated as "spears" by the AI in the vanilla game, which meant the AI would split his phalanx line chasing after cava;ry at the flanks, giving a chance to the player to isolate and flank each phalanx in turn.

Another thing teh TW AI can't do well since time immemorial is use his hybrid, ie melee/shooter units well. This all the more so in teh case of weak melee/strongshot/slow reload units like arbs/xbows and guns. The strength of those units is in making firing walls and shoot coordinated volleys that can obliterate enemy units and incurr morale penalties. The AI can't construct such lines because he's using hismissles in "skirmishmode" that means he moves them around too much and cannot coordinate well their protection with his cavalry, spears and melee line against enemy cavalry and major melee line pushes. This is all teh more so, since such shooters need to fire at the front line, as their shots are flat trajectory ones, unlike archers that the AI can use better since they can fire overhead and so be protected by his melee line.

This in effect meant that the whole project of ETW/NTW was one that was to "mark" the Napoleonic buffs market with teh TW brand, without the game Ai being able to really do well in a gameplay where shooters dominate.

The TW engine wasn't suited to such an endeavour either. It has too few units availabe (16 to 20) to represent the era of mass line infantry/light reckon-harassement cavalry/artillery with too few men avialable in them. But again this was small letters comparing to the profits and the fact that TW "did" that era, which means that in time teh TW franchise is acknowledged as the authoritative one for wargaming in all teh commercially meaningful periods (rome/antiquity, medieval, napoleonic, sengoku), commercially at least.
    Last edited by tashtego; February 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUtH View Post
    Probably this fix helps(unless you have it):
    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|267l32|115211547|MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip|1
    'button_ipnext.BIF' and 'button_ipprev.BIF' - you need to paste this files over old ones in "<your med folder>\campmap\buttons".
    Worked! Thanks very much, +rep

In STW the battles were the game and the map was just a means to manage those battle and string them together into something meaningful. Nowadays in the newer titles the campaign map is the game and the battles are just a show piece. Due to this the player and thus the "forumite" is very different to the one back in ~ 2000 - 2005. That's how much things have changed.
    Very succinctly put! I'd had great hopes for RTR for RTW, and was actually part of the Naval Mod team--which imho made some really useful changes to the naval situation. Unfortunately, after the initial bloodbath of the first few campaign years in which the amassed navies of Egypt, Macedon, etc. batter each other to pieces, the naval ai henceforth mostly resorts to single unit port blockading attempts. *sigh*

Darth's battle ai tweaks helped considerably with only battle ai tactics, but also strategic army unit selection--assuming advanced barracks available.

But STW & MTW were indeed the highwater mark.

I just reinstalled STW on a vista os machine..and have had a very interesting time on VH. Still don't do well as Mori, however...

Spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to get MTW to function. Had no idea the reason it refused to start was because of my Nvidia card. Will try the hotfix.

Off topic: Any good mods for MTW, besides MedMod? I really liked medmod, and its' AOR/ZOR predating of RTR's system--but it always irrevocably locked my game up after 50-100 turns.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast