Thread: Negotiations

Default Negotiations

Okay, I just wanted to know. Is there something out there like a mod or a file that gives the AI a brain when negotiating. Like for example, I destroyed my opponent (Egyptians) to a bloody corner. I don't want to finish them off because Parthia is next to them, so instead I ask for peace/ceasefire. Instead they give me the LMAO comment and attack back with 1 units at a time.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Negotiations

i think thats hardcoded however if you click the advisor after choosing the diplomatic options you want you can force them to accept it
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

The only problem is, that the force diplomacy script only works for this one offer. So if they are intent on attacking you, they will just continue attacking and declaring war every turn.

In one campaign i wanted to spare the romans. Give them time to develop post-marian stuff and present some sort of challenge.
    But the moment we shared a border, they kept declaring war every turn and eventually i was forced to crush them.

force them to surrender or keep a diplomat next to their city
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

By the way, about being protectorate - can they ones being "protected" go up against the ones "protecting"? Or does the one protecting have to attack first?

if the ai is the protectorate then they wont attack you until you attack them
    however if both of you share an ally and that third faction declares war on you then the protectorate stays as their ally and breaks the alliance with you
    on a side note, is it possible to change the way the ai factions choose which factions they stay allied to when 1 of their allies declares war on another
    at the moment they pick whomever initiates the attack but im pretty sure in vanilla they didnt do that

Alright, goodie. Because I rarely use the protector stuff, because it seems like the only time you would actually want it, is if you want a faction to be placed as a buffer between an expansionist and yourself - now, however I know that it works if I'm going to use it.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Unfortunately the protectorate status is bugged. Once you form a protectorate your income will be incorrect for the rest of the game.

There are a few things you can do to keep the peace with another faction though: (1) Block any of their agents from entering your territory; (2) Be ruthless about killing any foreign agents who do enter your territory; (3) Use your ships to block all approaches to your ports, so that they can't start a blockade; (4) Block any army they send into your territory with forts or your own forces; (5) Keep a good garrison in any border settlement.

(1) and (2) work because if AI agents see one of your rear settlements with a small garrison, the AI will find it a very tempting target and send a stack to attack it. The AI won't be tempted by stuff it can't see.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; February 08, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    Unfortunately the protectorate status is bugged. Once you form a protectorate your income will be incorrect for the rest of the game.
    How is the income affected by the protectorate status? Does it simply give away the wrong numbers, or does it reduce/boost your income in some way?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

The income effect continues even after the protectorate status ends. So if you have another faction as a protectorate you will recieve extra money for the rest of the game (or maybe until that faction is destroyed).

Wait a minute, do I get money from them? Never used protectorate before, so I havn't noticed this - I usually only have to care about the economy for the first 30-40 turns usually(since I play factions in rich places - hate barbarian factions )

they tend to give you all their money every turn

Oh, so basically, the faction becomes useless?

pretty much

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    if the ai is the protectorate then they wont attack you until you attack them
    Yes, the AI will attack you while a protectorate. I've had it happen to me.

thats odd, its never happened to me and as rome ive had 7 different protectorates

But what happens if I give them money each turn, will they still give me everything? Would be boring to be honest, I would've prefered that they keep evolving and possibly wage war against the neighboring factions(aside from myself that is). So final question is; If I give them money, will they use it to evolve or simply to give it back? And a faction under protectorate status - is it possible for them to wage war against other factions?

And one more thing that I've always wondered: What happens I surrender under the AI? Because at several occasions, they want me to surrender - but of course the human player turn down their offer, but what does actually happen if I accept? Do I lose the campaign or does all my income go to them?

any denari they have goes to you no matter where it comes from, thy wont wage war on others and wont expand(at least from my experiance) and i have actualy surrendered to the ai before (i played as the roman rebels and the romans offered me a protectorate every turn), they tend to treat it as an alliance and break it within a few turns however they dont get any denari from you and you dont lose the campaign

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    any denari they have goes to you no matter where it comes from, thy wont wage war on others and wont expand(at least from my experiance) and i have actualy surrendered to the ai before (i played as the roman rebels and the romans offered me a protectorate every turn), they tend to treat it as an alliance and break it within a few turns however they dont get any denari from you and you dont lose the campaign
    So are you saying that the protectorate, like most of the diplomacy in rtw, is a waste of time?

pretty much