Thread: Snowflake Method.

MIDN Mainolfi's Avatar Tiro
    Somewhere.......over there maybe.......no...........

Default Snowflake Method.

I was googling up all sorts of articles on writing (I love to write), and found an interesting technique that is used to help writers develop their stories. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have heard of this method, but for those that haven't, I really believe that it's worth taking a look into. I've been using for the past couple of days, and I couldn't believe the amount of progress it helped me to make in my projects. Note: It does require a bit of work, however, I've found that after I started delving into it, that it became a form of self-fulfillment to complete my tasks instead of just boring work.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

Some may find this helpful, others won't. I certainly don't want to make anyone intersted in getting started in the wonderful world of writing think that you absolutely HAVE to use this method. The best method to follow is what works for you, and if you can add this to your list of processes you use to get going, awesome! If not, awesome! I just felt like sharing what I've found!

P.S: This is NOT my article, I do not claim any of this work. This is just something I've run across on the internet, and the true owner can be seen on the page.
    Last edited by MIDN Mainolfi; February 07, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Proud Descendant of Robert the Bruce
    !!!!ZOIDBERG!!!! Click it!!! ZOIDBERG II!

Moderate Party of Sparta

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Snowflake.

nice find, ill be taking a closer look at this tmmrw morning.

Default Re: Snowflake Method.

This actually seems like a great idea. I've been scowering the internet for an outline like this. Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: Snowflake Method.

There are a wide variety of ways to write a novel. The best way to write a novel covers some basic points, but is largely left up to the author. In other words, what works for you may not work for someone else.

I've seen the snowflake method before. It's interesting, but it's not some magic wand that can be waved over a manuscript or a "sure thing" guaranteed to craft a masterpiece. It's just one of the bajillions of different approaches writers have taken. It may work for one and not another.

Writing can be taught. If anything, that's one of writing's best attributes - You don't have to be born a good writer in order to be one. You can learn it just like one learns any other profession. Of course, a certain bit of creativity helps make things a bit easier for some. But, that can be taught, within limits, as well.

There are two general types of writers: The Plotter and the Non-Plotter. A Plotter will craft their plot beforehand, knowing where they are going and having a good idea, or even an exact one, of how to get there. A Non-Plotter won't have an iron-clad plot charted out on the wall. They may have a general idea of where they want to go, or not, and have a vague idea of how they want to get there, or not. Plotters come with stacks of index cards, fishbone diagrams, scene lists and character sketches. Non-Plotters come with stacks of revisions, re-writes, discarded scenes and messed up hair. But, both breeds produce excellent material.

For me, the most important thing for any writer is to learn what style is best for you and which gives you the most satisfaction while enabling you to actually finish a credible work worth reading. If that's following a "Snowflake" method, then go for it. If not, a more conventional method might be better.

I've found all sorts of schemes for writing including freeware software, pay instruction, mysterious arcane rites and fun-filled free-association exercises. But, in the end, it all boils down to this - Use what works for YOU.

I suppose I'm a blend of plotter and non-plotter. I have a good idea of where I want to go and a fairly good idea of the places I just HAVE to stop by while on the way. But, I have to connect those places on the map of the book and leave some room for some creative, non-plotting derived spontaneity, during the journey. One never knows when a gem will rise to the surface.

From the advice I have read and a bit of personal experience, one thing is clear - Plotters seem to go through less revisions than Non-Plotters. That's not saying plotting out everything yields the best work. That just means that having good ideas of how to get to your destination usually means less work in getting there. But, I can't bring myself to construct a bunch of plot outlines, stacks of index cards and comprehensive list of scenes, just yet. I'm much more comfortable in generalities when starting out, than I am with too many specifics that seem to offer too many leashes on spontaneous creativity. Hey, I like to be surprised by what happens in a story, even when I'm writing it! That's part of the fun and personal satisfaction that I value very highly.
    Under the Patronage of Thanatos.