Thread: My Horrible Crash Experience

turtle's Avatar Ordinarius

Default My Horrible Crash Experience

I don't know if this has happened to other SPQR ers but this happens pretty much every time I play. After a curtain amount of battles the game will crash. Usually I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it crashes after the battle is over. So, I will be fighting carthage and multiple stacks will attack me and after the second battle my game will crash as it loads back to the campaign map. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me.

I am running SPQR 5.0 with RTW 1.2 and the Warcry mod.

I was thinking that is is the Warcry mod, mybe not.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Have you tried using the -show_err command in your target line to see if the game will give you the reason of the CTD?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan
    Have you tried using the -show_err command in your target line to see if the game will give you the reason of the CTD?
    No, I didn't even know that you could do that.

Actually........... how would you do that if the game crashes to the desktop.

Also, is the target line the text box that you use to input cheats.

Ok, right click your RTW.exe shortcut, click properties, and add -show_err to the end of your target line. This is an example of how it should look like:

"C:\Program Files\RTR 6.0 GOLD\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

Make sure you leave a space between the " and -show_err.

With -show_err, when your game crashes, it will tell you why most of the time.

awsome, thank you very much. I hope that it does tell me next time, because it is getting very old when it crashes after such a hard won battle.

P.S. the battle it kept crashing on was my one stack nube army against 6 veteran carthaginian stacks

No problem turtle. If it doesn't give you the reason, I'm sure LT will be on later today to help you solve this problem.

I had the same problem and -show_err does not show anything... it just CTD...

The partial solution for this problem is to disable AUTOSAVE option in preferences file (AUTO_SAVE:FALSE) I haven't had anymore frequent CTDs in multiple stack battles since I disabled it... just remember that you have to manually save the game time to time (CTRL-S) bcs autosave will be disabled ;-)
    Hope it helps, it worked for me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jegui
    I had the same problem and -show_err does not show anything... it just CTD...

The partial solution for this problem is to disable AUTOSAVE option in preferences file (AUTO_SAVE:FALSE) I haven't had anymore frequent CTDs in multiple stack battles since I disabled it... just remember that you have to manually save the game time to time (CTRL-S) bcs autosave will be disabled ;-)
    Hope it helps, it worked for me :-)
    thanks, i can use all the help i can get

I'm having a similar problem, whenever I fight the Greeks the game will crash to the desktop. This problem is only for the Greeks, I have had no trouble fighting any other factions.

Arcarius's Avatar I Am Fable

i have had this happen many times, but only becasue i minized my game during the battle, when i do it during the campagin it works fine....
    Formerly Heilige Legioen, and the original Fable

Trust me its system problem, Any crashes due to bad models or skin problems etc leave a message with show_err, but overheating of the video card will not leave a message. I had this happen with my game a while back until I bought a new fan for my video card. I had an ATI X800XT PE and they have a MUCH better fan than most of the cheaper cards out there people are using. So I SUGGEST looking in cooling your system, if not then there is nothing I can do, the battles are MUCH larger than anything in the vanilla and it puts morestress on the systems.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Trust me its system problem, Any crashes due to bad models or skin problems etc leave a message with show_err, but overheating of the video card will not leave a message. I had this happen with my game a while back until I bought a new fan for my video card. I had an ATI X800XT PE and they have a MUCH better fan than most of the cheaper cards out there people are using. So I SUGGEST looking in cooling your system, if not then there is nothing I can do, the battles are MUCH larger than anything in the vanilla and it puts morestress on the systems.

Lt
    I totally agree with this but however random CTDs like that would happen mainly during the batlle development when the 3d engine is rendering all graphics and the video card/system wouldn't cope... In turtle's and my case a CTD systematically happens after or before the second/third battle and on the loading stage when the 3d engine is not yet at full work... That's why I have minimized the issue by disabling AUTO_SAVE.

I 'm sure the appplication tries to autosave the game whilst loading/unloading the second/third battle and that most likely conflicts with the loading mechanism causing a CTD...

I tested this with saved games which had several stack battles to come and it crashed whenever AUTO_SAVE was enabled. I also noticed that if you save the game just before fihgting a battle it may also crash but this is less frequent...

Overall, like you said, random CTD's are really caused by overheating but in this case it is more systematic.... I hope it helps.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by turtle
    I don't know if this has happened to other SPQR ers but this happens pretty much every time I play. After a curtain amount of battles the game will crash. Usually I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it crashes after the battle is over. So, I will be fighting carthage and multiple stacks will attack me and after the second battle my game will crash as it loads back to the campaign map. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me.

I am running SPQR 5.0 with RTW 1.2 and the Warcry mod.

I was thinking that is is the Warcry mod, mybe not.
    It sounds like heat issue with your CPU or GPU. Have you got any other graphicly intensive games like Unreal, Quake or some RPG that you can try?

Can you please provide some systme specs.

i had some crashing problems too

(tried playing with pontus and Parthia, with large armies, but it keeps crashing to desktop) it never crash with the armenians (my other game)

my brother is playing with the Seleucids at huge and never gets CTD

i play to games like guild wars, need for speed most wanted, CODII, HL2, with no problems at all
    Last edited by Arutima; January 26, 2006 at 01:06 PM.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

now that people mention it,

this type of crash (specifically on a second or third consecutive battle when the AI turns are going on attacking you) has been the only fly in the ointment of my SPQR experience.

Thanks for the pointers (disable autosave...) I figured it was just my system locking up... although I recently reformatted/ reinstalled windows etc... and have practically nothing but SPQR and Microsoft products on my computer now..

ENSAIS

I have had CTDs on both of my systems -- a dell dimension 8400 (1 gig RAM, Radeon X850 XT PE) and a dell inspiron 9300 (1 gig RAM GeForce Go 6800). Both systems have had problems similar to original post. I disabled auto-save, and so far, no problems with SPQR. My CTD always seem to happen when entering a battle. I suppose it could be a cooling problem, but on both machines? If I get the chance, I will try the vanilla RTW to see of it occurs. But the disable autosave seems to be working for me! Thanks for the advice!

Yep same here,

I love SPQR but confess I find it unplayable presently because I get to c.200 BC & the game continually crashes. I don't think it's an overheating problem & am inclined to agree with the poster who thought it was the Autosave. I'm going to try disabling this.

I even had to revert to Vanilla RTW! It was fun having a variety of Roman temples again, but the Pila in Vanilla really are feeble aren't they?!

Cheers,

Lozza12

The only CTD has been when I can hear my poor fans crank up to high rpm's I was playing the other night for almost 5 hours, after I told myself that I was tired and really needed to goto bed my PC/Video card agreed and closed the game for me, good think i'm a religious quick saver...so I wasn't ****** I was actually relieved it was a sign from Jupiter - GO TO BED. ha