Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS 6.4. What is the Best Campaign and Battle Difficulty

dajarvi's Avatar Semisalis
    Marquette, Michigan, right on Lake Superior

Default SS 6.4. What is the Best Campaign and Battle Difficulty

Title says it all. I just started an M / H today, but before I go any further, I was wondering if the patch requires VH/VH for effective AI.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: SS 6.4. What is the Best Campaign and Battle Difficulty

If you're a bit of a newb (Don't worry, we all were at one time or another. ) then M/H is hard enough, I never play on anything other than H/H because on anything other than that the A.I. is either 1) Irrationally aggresive or 2) gets way too many stat bonuses in combat. Combat on VH isn't that hard but I prefer Hard.

For my current campaign, I am playing with h campaign /vh battle, whatever AI the default is for 6.4. Sometimes I also go vh campaign AI if I want "total war" and just berserk/zerg rush my way. Hard AI seems more reasonable when it comes to diplomacy (like keeping alliances, accepting cease fire, etc) than VH cai.
    On your PC, the units seem to perform quite poorly. I think there might be something nearby the PC that is causing this problem for you. You may need a mirror to find out what it is.

dajarvi's Avatar Semisalis
    Marquette, Michigan, right on Lake Superior

Thanks. I've been playing total war since the first medieval. After playing Europa Barbarorum and Stainless Steel for years on end, I just got bored. Haven't really played in the last six months. H/H is probably what I'm going to do.

I like VH/VH for the challenge, but usually go with H/VH just so it's possible to hold a damn alliance.

And even on H the AI will ALWAYS side with another of its AI Allies that attacks you, even if you have perfect relations and have been their allies for 50 turns longer...

I like VH/VH most. Only AI morale during battles can be annoying.

Marcvs Antonivs's Avatar Senator

I only play Hard in campaigns but mostly medium/medium. Don't like the AI to have bonuses, much less in battles. So mostly H/M.
    Cassius: "Our men at arms have secured the city. We've received representatives from all the best elements. The senate is with us, the knights are with us."
    Brutus:"The pontifs, the urban cohorts, the lictors guild..."
    Antony: "Oh, the lictors guild, very good. Only rally the bakers and the flute players and you can put on a festival."

You can play VH if you want a challenging campaign, if you think AI gets too many bonuses, go to the EDU and give +1-2 attack, +2-3 defense and better morale to your units..

I like H/H for my games.

in my campaign i play always vh.vh. only with ss 6.2 i plaied h.h. or m.h.

W1Z21's Avatar Tiro

if you are a rookie go m/m for a great play and some challenges... if you are good do h/h and if even better do vh/vh although some people say h/h is actually harder than vh/vh lol i play vh/vh but i customize the scritps
    We all die, its just a matter of how.... and when
    -William Wallace

Well if you want a real SS experience, go for BGR IV VH/VH .
    "Τίποτα δεν είναι αληθινό, όλα επιτρέπονται."

My political profile.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by spH3RiCal View Post
    You can play VH if you want a challenging campaign, if you think AI gets too many bonuses, go to the EDU and give +1-2 attack, +2-3 defense and better morale to your units..
    But that defeats the purpose of VH, it's supposed to provide a challenge(not that it does, BGR does that), play H if you think VH is too hard.

nlovertoom's Avatar Tiro

I'm sorry but VH/VH is still TOO EASY!!! You ALWAYS win the campaign, you make PLENTY of money, and you win about 97% of your battles...

If you are playing less than VH/VH, you are either a cowardly newb or a woosie girlie man of a vet... Either way you should fall on your sword out of embarrassment.

I can only hope that the SS guys step it up in the future and actually make this mod a challenge...
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by nlovertoom View Post
    I'm sorry but VH/VH is still TOO EASY!!! You ALWAYS win the campaign, you make PLENTY of money, and you win about 97% of your battles...

If you are playing less than VH/VH, you are either a cowardly newb or a woosie girlie man of a vet... Either way you should fall on your sword out of embarrassment.

I can only hope that the SS guys step it up in the future and actually make this mod a challenge...
    You need this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060

I don't like giving AI unrealistic stat bonuses in combat. If H or VH increased the smartness of the BAI, I would totally play on one of those levels but since all they do is give strait up stat bonuses, I always play with a battle difficulty of medium. As for Campaign, well it depends on who I'm playing as. For example, right now I have a Scottish game on VH, a French game on H, and a Turk game on H.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    But that defeats the purpose of VH, it's supposed to provide a challenge(not that it does, BGR does that), play H if you think VH is too hard.
    I tried hard but it seemed to me too easy.. AI was much more logical than in medium campaigns.. On the other hand, VH is way better but it means stack spam which is annoying. So by modding the stats (just a little though) you can face it in a degree.

I am playing H/H now,and its fine,but there is difference between faction,and Im thinks that late era is harder than early.And maybe I will go for H/M because I dont like when AI gets bonuses etc
    ''When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace''.Jimi Hendrix

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

I always go for VH/VH, so many armies.

Campidoctor

I'm not a rookie, but I play on m/m. For me, it means that i can afford to play the game less obsessively, that is, I can afford not to micromanage everything and also I can use less than optimal tactics and units in battles. It makes the game more enjoyable for me.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast