Thread: CA on battle speed

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Default CA on battle speed

From .com

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify, M2 battles haven’t been sped up or turned into an arcade game. The pace of combat on the battlemaps is comparable to previous TW games.
    I think that may have been some miss-wording on the PR’s Behalf.
    We do have a lot more animation though, which simply beefs up the realism aspect of combat in the battlemaps. Single units now track and acquire targets on the battlefield before engaging and have a range of moves to be used depending on the situation. Finishing moves refers to the way in which a single unit decides to kill their opposition. I wouldn’t relate it to an arcade fighting game at all.
    We actually employed some historical actors to help out with the fight sequencing to allow our animators to deliver more realistic looking battlefields. They left behind some cool practice weapons as well which is really useful for ‘motivating’ the artists

Sounds good.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

So, does this mean we won't see the "realistic battles" (like swinging a sword, blocking it, parry, swing again) after all and only have more animations (instead of "chop" "overhead swing" like the ones in RTW) ?

I am a bit confused now.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

I think the bottomline is that we won't see knights on speed doing unrealistic things. As he said, real actors were hired to preform sword fights. As to how realistic that turned out remains to be seen...
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

It will be like in RTW, but more convincing and varied. it wont be like watching a film of two actors fighting. Again though, we'll have to wait and see the engine running to know for sure
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Its not the speed of the animations that worry me, but the speed of the units themselves.(i.e in RTW it seemed like everybody, including the horses, were on caffine!)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

^Wasn't hard to slow down.

"The pace of combat on the battlemaps is comparable to previous TW games."

That leaves room for quite some variety - compared to STW or MTW, RTW's units were ridiculously fast...

There was no open spot about how it shall be fast. If i get reference "realistic" animations there is no problem. Result is significant. RTW and BI were terrible on speeds. I hope they don't do such as this things. I want epic, long and realistic battles back again plus improved.

The reason they were faster was beacue of the jump from 2d to 3d. In the frist TW they moved very slow and sence they were 2d sprits it didnt' realy matter how fast they went. They go much faster now sence in real life troops can move that fast on a battle feild. They move faster then the 2d sprits but not faster then real troops.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"