Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Units on walls

Default Units on walls

My fears are propably unfounded and just paranoia but will units still be abble to go on walls?
    I have yet to see one unit on a wall even though there are about 3-4 screenshots of sieges.

I also dont see any units on wall, strange.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

patience...

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!

caps.

That wouldnt make much sense to me, so Im thinking your just being paranoid in this case (its already in RTW and functions well enough...why would they remove it???).

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey the Great
    That wouldnt make much sense to me, so Im thinking your just being paranoid in this case (its already in RTW and functions well enough...why would they remove it???).
    Well theres this bug that if the defender dosen't move the unit to attack the enemy and the enemy just comes at them threw a tower the defender dosen't get tierd and stays fresh the hole time. But i dout they would take it out of the game casue of that.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Removing the function to have units on walls wouldnt make the game better so i dont think they will do that.... :o

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Doesn't make a difference to me. MTW was great and had no units on walls. Made it rather simplified, and simplified means the AI can't mess it up no matter HOW HARD it tries.

It will be beautifull if instead that towers that shoot arrows from nothing to be real archers troops firing...but I m just dreaming

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I want to see English longbowmen on those walls. They already have long range, and firing from a wall means no attacker will be safe.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4
    I want to see English longbowmen on those walls. They already have long range, and firing from a wall means no attacker will be safe.
    a crossbow had longer range but fires to slowly compared to the longbow
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

Indefinitely Banned

If they don't have units on the walls in MTW 2, I am sincere in saying that I will not buy the game at all. There is no excuse for something like that.

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Quote Originally Posted by eXc|Imperator
    Doesn't make a difference to me. MTW was great and had no units on walls. Made it rather simplified, and simplified means the AI can't mess it up no matter HOW HARD it tries.
    I agree on the whole that M:TW was an excellent game, the siege thought were quite boring because of the lack of fighting on the walls.

Let’s hope this time around the A. I can do something right, since it wouldn’t make sence for CA to take the wall fighting out of the game.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Well I was wondering the same thing about troops on the walls. So I started taking a closer look at the screenshots and I noticed that in some the walls are almost twice as wide as in RTW. To me that means that there will be one heck of a fight as there is more room for maneouverability on the wall. But then again I didn't see any siege towers or ladders in the screenshots yet.

Hmmmm......

The whole thing is more complicated than RTW sieges. The concentric rings migh mak it hard to have units on walls, I mean gamplay wise. How do you use latters and belfries to take one all and then move on to the next? propably hard to do that.

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Kikla
    The whole thing is more complicated than RTW sieges. The concentric rings migh mak it hard to have units on walls, I mean gamplay wise. How do you use latters and belfries to take one all and then move on to the next? propably hard to do that.
    That just mean that CA has the completely redesign the whole siege warfare system that was in Rome, which is a good thing since that system was pretty flawed.
    And to not have unit on the walls would be a huge step backwards, I don't think CA are going to leave out such an important feature.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Notice too all of the mentions of ring walls and massive siege trains... I suspect they might have done away with some if not all wall fights.

That would suck. A lot.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

H_man's Avatar Decanus

Wall fights were minor parts in RTW; if you've played MTW then you know the absence of them is a whole lot better.

The game would probably use an improved version of the Rome Gameplay and Graphic Engine ... so yes ... I think for sure that there will be units on walls this time around. And I would especially like an automatic garrison when a castle is built.

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

And I quote from the PC Gameplay Article posted by BattleKnight:

A second change is that settlements are represented differently. The developers want to do the huge cities and keeps justice and they strive for as much realism as possible. In Medieval 2, the castles and cities aren’t placed at “pre-fab” positions, but are nicely integrated into the landscape, even if that landscape is dominated by steep hills or cliffs. This not only creates more realism, but also brings more strategy with it. If you want to take the settlements, you now have to pass defensive barriers created by both man and nature. Most of the time, you will need the artillery to smash through the outer wall, while you use the siege towers to scale the inner wall. If your men managed to prise open the citygate, then you can let your units storm the keep with storm ladders. Of course, a couple of well-aimed cannonballs should do the trick as well. The localized damage (what you hit is what you destroy) also adds to the realism.
    Holy Christ... Men on the walls with a vengeance!
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast