Thread: skirmishers?

Default skirmishers?

I have noticed so far that this game does not have very decent skirmishing units, for some factions, the only one in abundance are the javliniers, will you implement more archers in the game because it would of made sense, in greece the bow was a commonly used weapon in armies, even in there mythology they reflected on the bow being a Heroic weapon like the spear wich we see hoplites use. two examples of bows in greek culture are int he stories Bellaphron and Heracles. also bows were wildly used in egypt and other such places, im sure that the italicans had bown and were used in military style. I suggest possibly making a generic archers unit with medium armour perhaps with decent soldier size instead of just 50 units for light archers, or a more fun metheod will be to copy the AOR style like example, heraclean hoplites, heraclean bowmen. cheers
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

Default Re: skirmishers?

Syracuse and Greek cities which both are influenced by greek culture have bowmen.

I look forward to those units that used javilins and then closed for combat to be able to do so, that would open up the combat so much more

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by FOR GONDOR View Post
    I have noticed so far that this game does not have very decent skirmishing units, for some factions, the only one in abundance are the javliniers
    If you're talking about Central Italy then indeed, javelineers are the main skirmishers you'll find in abundance. That's simply historical, they didn't have archers proper but javelins were preferred among them more than among most other places.

will you implement more archers in the game because it would of made sense, in greece the bow was a commonly used weapon in armies
    Yes but the Greeks have quite good bow units as it is. Perhaps I should remove their javelineers so as to throw the archers and slingers into more relief.

also bows were wildly used in egypt and other such places, im sure that the italicans had bown and were used in military style. I suggest possibly making a generic archers unit
    With a generic archer unit that's exactly what you'll be making -- a generic game.

Quote Originally Posted by born2dive67 View Post
    I look forward to those units that used javilins and then closed for combat to be able to do so, that would open up the combat so much more
    Yeah that's something that is still yet to be resolved; frankly by all other mods as much as by us. Try TATW's Pelargir Marines, which have exactly the same javelin + charge feature, and see how broken they are.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by FOR GONDOR View Post
    I have noticed so far that this game does not have very decent skirmishing units, for some factions, the only one in abundance are the javliniers, will you implement more archers in the game because it would of made sense, in greece the bow was a commonly used weapon in armies, even in there mythology they reflected on the bow being a Heroic weapon like the spear wich we see hoplites use. two examples of bows in greek culture are int he stories Bellaphron and Heracles. also bows were wildly used in egypt and other such places, im sure that the italicans had bown and were used in military style. I suggest possibly making a generic archers unit with medium armour perhaps with decent soldier size instead of just 50 units for light archers, or a more fun metheod will be to copy the AOR style like example, heraclean hoplites, heraclean bowmen. cheers
    wow that's a lot of assumptions without any historical backing in one post

I found this looks interesting

For there to be mercenaries, three conditions are necessary—warfare, people willing to pay, and others to serve.
    Roman Contact with foreign powers such as Carthage and Macedon exposed Rome's weakness in cavalry and light‐armed troops. This deficiency she remedied principally by obtaining contingents outside Italy. Some came from independent allies like Masinissa, others were raised by forced levies or paid as mercenaries. Gauls served in the First Punic War, 600 Cretan archers fought at Trasimene, Numidian cavalry (see numidia) turned the scale at Zama. During the next two centuries the number and variety of contingents increased. Spain was a favourite recruiting‐ground for cavalry and light infantry, while Caesar obtained his cavalry from Numidia, Gaul, and Germany, and his archers and slingers from Numidia, Crete, and the Balearic Islands.

I´m not sugesting allow recruit archers directly from rome ...but mercs from settlements that allow it... if they can fight as mercs to cartage why not fight as mercs to rome or other tribes ?

Opifex

Well the main mercenary armies that Carthage has are the hired in Sicily; so those I suppose could be recruitable by Rome if it possessed the same regions. But for example Liby-Phoenician troops could be viewed as 'mercenaries' for Carthage, that still puts them in a whole another category wherein nobody outside of Africa would be likely to recruit them in any large numbers.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    Yeah that's something that is still yet to be resolved; frankly by all other mods as much as by us. Try TATW's Pelargir Marines, which have exactly the same javelin + charge feature, and see how broken they are.
    Whats broken about them? I don't have that mod.

PlayerOne's Avatar Senator

The transition between javelin to sword is bugged. Yes the unit can throw its javelins but if engaged before it has finished throwing, it fails to switch to its sword. So will stand stand there and get butchered.