Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets have a guess at the Fantasy Units.

Default Lets have a guess at the Fantasy Units.

Lets guess what they may come up to top the Hounds of Culann and the Screaming Women.

I would like Robins Riders . These would be Longbow horseriders recruitable from English Provinces.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Screaming Women was not entirely fantasy. Germanic tribes brought their women and children with them to battle, and they would scream and yell encouragement to the troops. If you don't believe me, read Tacitus...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

I think CA will just let in to what they always wanted and will put a big Dragon. One for each faction. Of course Dragons can't die to normal troops. Which is why each faction also gets a special knight to slay these dragons. The knight is only recruitable once you find the Holy Grail. Basically whichever faction finds the Holy Grail first will win the game because their dragon will reign supreme along with the knight.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Plutarch also writes of the shrieking women. In his Life of Marius, he mentions that the Germanic women would always scream encouragement to their men. As the barbarians fled back to their encampment, the women would attack them for their failure.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    Screaming Women was not entirely fantasy. Germanic tribes brought their women and children with them to battle, and they would scream and yell encouragement to the troops. If you don't believe me, read Tacitus...

Yes, and Tacitus' entire mention about "screetching women" uses less words (in original Latin) than your very own post. The ML's Complete Works of Tacticus translates it as followed:

Tradition says that already wavering and giving way have been rallied by women who, with earnest entreaties and bosoms laid bare, have vividly represented the horrors of captivity which the Germans which the Germans fear with such extreme dread on behalf of their women...

As you can see, first off, Tactus never saw happen... actually he isn't even sure it does happen - "tradition" claims that it happened. Furthermore, we are never told where the women are - merely that armies (we don't know if the women are with the army) beginning to route have been rallied by women (we don't know how many) who seem to be more about symbolism and what will happen if the men lose the battle than any sort of "cheerleaders."
    Somehow drawing a connection between Tacitus and women and children being "brought to battle" would be excessively foolish, and a person with an serious interest in the time period/history would avoid making such rash generalizations.

I don't have my version of Germanica on hand, but I know it states that woman and children are brought along, and occassionally serve as field medics...

Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Germania, provided by Fordham University
    Moreover, close to the field of battle are lodged all the nearest and most interesting pledges of nature. Hence they hear the doleful howlings of their wives, hence the cries of their tender infants. These are to each particular the witnesses whom he most reverences and dreads; these yield him the praise which affect him most. Their wounds and maims they carry to their mothers, or to their wives, neither are their mothers or wives shocked in telling, or in sucking their bleeding sores.3 Nay, to their husbands and sons whilst engaged in battle, they administer meat and encouragement.
    Last edited by Farnan; January 24, 2006 at 09:56 PM.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

Greek Fire Flame throwers.

Dressed as US marines of WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4
    Plutarch also writes of the shrieking women. In his Life of Marius, he mentions that the Germanic women would always scream encouragement to their men. As the barbarians fled back to their encampment, the women would attack them for their failure.

Yes he says:

Those that got safe over, not daring to make head, were slain by the Romans, as they fled to their camp and wagons; where the women meeting them with swords and hatchets, and making a hideous outcry, set upon those that fled as well as those that pursued, the one as traitors, the other as enemies; and, mixing themselves with the combatants, with their bare arms pulling away the Romans' shields, and laying hold on their swords, endured the wounds and slashing of their bodies to the very last, with undaunted resolution.
    Again, all we are told is that the women were in the camp (not an oncommon place for camp followers in Antiquity and even up to the 19th century). There is no mention of them being anywhere near the battle, and certainly not "cheering" on their men. All we know is that they took weapons and turned on both German and Roman alike.
    One does not have to dig too far to see the ideal of the "noble barbarian" that was currently culturally chic during the times that Plutarch wrote, or also mention that Plutarch was not interested in history (he says it himself) but in morals and how they shape character. Again, it would be overly hasty to read in and conclude that the Germans regularly brought "cheerleaders" to their battles since the evidence for this is tenuous at best.

Crusader mercenaries or Golden Horde horse archers. Maybe the plague.
    Playwright. Thespian. Mathematician.

To Aismov: Read my edited post...

To Hicks: According to Osprey they did have primitive flame throwers...

Quote Originally Posted by lightbringer418
    I think CA will just let in to what they always wanted and will put a big Dragon. One for each faction. Of course Dragons can't die to normal troops. Which is why each faction also gets a special knight to slay these dragons. The knight is only recruitable once you find the Holy Grail. Basically whichever faction finds the Holy Grail first will win the game because their dragon will reign supreme along with the knight.

:laughing: :laughing: LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan
    I don't have my version of Germanica on hand, but I know it states that woman and children are brought along, and occassionally serve as field medics...

Here it is:
    Moreover, close to the field of battle are lodged all the nearest and most interesting pledges of nature. Hence they hear the doleful howlings of their wives, hence the cries of their tender infants. These are to each particular the witnesses whom he most reverences and dreads; these yield him the praise which affect him most. Their wounds and maims they carry to their mothers, or to their wives, neither are their mothers or wives shocked in telling, or in sucking their bleeding sores.3 Nay, to their husbands and sons whilst engaged in battle, they administer meat and encouragement.

My translation has it as follows:

Close by them, too, are those dearest to them, so that they can hear the shrieks of women, the cries of infants. They are to every man the most sacred witness to his bravery - they are his most general appluaders. The soldier brings his wounds to mother and wife, who shrink not from counting or demanding them and who administer both food and encouragement to the compatants.
    Unfortunately, I cannot read Latin, so I'm stuck with hoping that what someone has written down is true. But again some key features can be gleaned:

1) they are "close" to the men - but we are not told how far
    2) they can hear the shrieks and cries
    3) the women are witnesses to his bravery and applaud it
    4) the soldier brings his wounds to the family - most likely back at camp

I can't see how someone can take such scant literary evidence and make the claim that Germanic tribes routinely brought women to battle which "cheered" the men on or acted like "medics." When compared to other armies and their camp followers in antiquity, its not all that different - families routinely followed armies around and it is not surprising that those same families would care for their husband and father. And in Germany the hero-warrior ideal which had diminished in the Greek and Roman world by this time was very strong, so it is also not unsurprising that boasting and tall-tales of valor would be common.
    Although it is clear that Germanic women indeed were at the very least within the camp, and sometimes venturing closer to the field of battle, to use it as evidence for the Screetching Women in RTW is stretching the literary evidence way to far.

Arcarius's Avatar I Am Fable

Stromtroopers and their general darth vader, lol
    Formerly Heilige Legioen, and the original Fable

A realistic idea of what CA might do is something like super longbow ninjamen, possibly. I think instead of a explicit fantasy unit, we may see exaggerated abilities of plausible units.

killer rabbits...and the french can recruit cattle throwers

and the english can recruit police officers with handguns
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd The Crazy
    killer rabbits...and the french can recruit cattle throwers

and the english can recruit police officers with handguns
    British cops don't carry guns.

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Fantasy Units?

Who gets Chuck Norris?

Lol I bet they'll put in something to do with robin hood, or something crazy like that.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace
    British cops don't carry guns.
    That was the point AP

Go back to school!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfingers
    That was the point AP

Go back to school!
    I know it was the point, why does everyone always misunderstand when I make comments like that?!

The point of my post was to directly miss the point and make that comment. I suppose it's just part of my odd sense of humor or something.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast