Thread: Allied Expeditionary Forces?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Allied Expeditionary Forces?

So, to set the scene:

I'm France, 1943. SU isn't in the war. I've stopped the Germans in the Low Countries, and am steadily advancing in that area and liberating the countries. Both Belgium and Netherlands are still in the war, neither have been forced into surrender.

The UK and USA have spammed me with Divisions, and I have multiple armies composed entirely of their soldiers fighting on the Italian front (Italy is 1 VP province away from surrender, which is under attack. A dropped 3 Paratroop divisions on Rome and, despite being under constant siege for months, they've held the city and the German/Italian soldiers are largely trapped and without supply) and the Danish front.

Japan, however, has just finished with China. I fear they're eyeing up Indochina, and I have a mere 2 Divisions to defend the area. I have soldiers I can spare to beef up the garrison, but I had another idea.

Australia and NZ have a large enough army to allow me to mount a defence (in SF, only 2 provinces along the Indochinese north border have enough infra to use, so it's a bottleneck) but they won't help me.

I've set "defend here" allied objectives on an Indochinese port so they'd land soldiers and turn them over to me (as the AI does), allowing me to build an ANZAC defence army for Indochina. Combined they have 55 brigades, which is at least around 15 Divisions. That would be more than enough to hold the line until I can send my own armies into action when Germany is dealt with.

They will not, however, move at all. Their entire armies are in their homelands, doing nothing, they won't even send me a few Divisions.

Does anyone know any ways of kickstarting the AI in this regard? Their Divisions are doing nothing, Japan isn't at war with us yet, and Indochina will be the first target if they join the war.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Default Re: Allied Expeditionary Forces?

Is this HOI3 browski? I've got HOI3 but i've only played it like twice. I'm guessing there is no take control of allied forces option?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

HoI3 SF.

No, I can't arbitrarily take control of my allies armies, they need to grant me them. HoI3 SF lets me put Allied Objectives down, so I put objectives for Aus/NZ in Indochina in the hopes they'd move their inactive army over to help me.

I suppose I should update the situation:

Germany has fallen, and I managed to move an Army to Indochina before Japan invaded. Thanks to the glorious actions of the 1st Airborn Corps, the Japanese invasion army was cut off in North Vietnam and annihilated by the newly landed Army of Indochina advancing north. After several weeks of bitter jungle combat and a desperate defence of Hanoi (a Corps of Marines were landed behind enemy lines as well to help the Paras after a few days) the Army of Indochina linked up with the Airborne Corps and relieved them. The Japanese stopped me on the border with the annxed Guanxi Clique, so the war is a stalemate. I managed to get the Marine Corps onto the Isle of Hainan before the IJN arrived in force and drove my Navy off. They're technically trapped there, but the Japanese cannot force their way onto the island and I have 6 Divisions of Paratroopers on standby in Vietnam should they need help.

Any linebreaking strategies? The RN and USN aren't really doing much to fight the IJN. I can't reinforce myself in Indochina atm until I get more transports, as the ones I have are under siege in Hainan.

You've got to break the back of the IJN, remeber that all of their supplies are imported, a few succesfull convoy raids will really sap their strength. I assume however, you have a minimal fleet?

Other than that, pray for the AZNAC troops to be turned over to you, and that the RN/USN sink the IJN.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

Wait, you can give allies objectives in SF? How? I didn't know this, it would be handy to use my Hungarian legions in my Nazi game...

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Select a province and there's a button in the province window that allows you to set objectives.

Hookah: I do indeed have a weak Navy, being the French. I turned all my production and research to land warfare, and it being '44 I'm too far behind to be able to match the IJN blow for blow. I suppose I can just try to mass everything I have and achieve local superiority every time I need something done, since the IJN has more than one front to worry about.

Sadly, the Aus/NZ armies remain in their homeland doing nothing. They'd be useful! Siam and the British Puppets have been useful though, manning the line in north India and even sending a few Divisions my way to reinforce the line, though they haven't turned them over to me. Still, they're doing what I'd have had them do anyway.

The only foreign soldiers landed in Indochina to help me are a single US Infantry Division, which is on garrison duty in the south because the US doesn't seem to have good infantry tech.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

Sweet! Never noticed that before. Definitely gonna help me with organizing Japan + co's war in the East. All my European allies are really slow though, by the time the Hungarians arrived in Benelux area, I had already defeated them all. Turns out the Benelux dudes don't really put up much of a fight if you've already taken France out. The fact they seemed to be unmobilized and Luxembourg has one province, meaning bombing it with the entire Luftwaffe is FUN helps.

Also turns out France get's really confused if you invade through the Alps in concert with Italy. After breaking the first line of forces, there was actually just about NO threat, as the entire French force was pinned in the Maginot line. Hell, they got so confused trying to send forces south I captured 2 provinces on the Maginot line.

But the allied things are helping hugely in Asia. Since placing those, Japanese and puppet forces have almost taken Singapore, have been making small steps towards retaking Hong Kong and area (Not sure how the Hong Kong garrison managed to not only survive, but DEFEAT the forces attacking it,) and are even making huge inroads into Burma. Hell, they're even invading Australia and New Guinea, and I didn't even tell them to do that! I'm personally impressed.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Poach, sorry i couldnt help anymore, and this might be a little off topic, but as you are an avid HOI2 gamer, what do you think of HOI3, like honestly?

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I'm not a HoI2 gamer, where did you get the impression I was?

That said, from discussions with others I understand that HoI2 is generally the superior and more stable game. When I have time (summer, probably) I might get HoI2 and see how it is.

Get Arsenal of Democracy, it's got everything that HoI2 had plus more.

And it's still supported, so you get new patches!

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    Get Arsenal of Democracy, it's got everything that HoI2 had plus more.

And it's still supported, so you get new patches!

I like HoI2 occasionally, nostalgia, for the lulz, or whatever, good old HoI2 Wasn't too excited about AoD though couldn't really care to adjust to that game (I like HoI3 better tbh)
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

I really don't like HoI3. It has some features I like (the ablity to create command groups and fronts). But the Supply system is still broken, and it still runs fairly slowly, and there havn't been very many decent mods for it yet.

I'll stick to HoI II, and Kaiserrich.

I suggest landing a few of your Airborne troops somewhere along the Chinese coast. Advisably on top of a port or a nearby province that is near it, near the warring front. Not too close though, so the IJA is not a immediate threat the moment you drop. If Japanese interceptor air wings don't shoot you down. The ruse might check the IJA into flipping their gear and backpedaling to dispose of your airborne troops you landed. Which might leave a few gaps in the front line further down in the border and allow you to overrun them or even strategically encircle them and finish them off.