Thread: The end for Medieval modders?

Default The end for Medieval modders?

Forgive for not keeping up to date with the modding comunity, but ar'nt there a number of medieval period mods for RTW in development (one is called "chivalry" I believe).

My point is, dos'nt this anouncment of M2:TW make their mods... Obsolete. After all, if you had the choice between a professional, feature packed, shiny new CA production or a DIY version produced by a couple of modders, which would you chose? I admit, the medieval modders had no way of knowing this was going to happen and I comend them for their efforts, but are they now going to simply pack things up and wait for M2?

......Now that I've had a quick think about it, It is a very long time till M2's release and maybe the Medieval modders can take advantage of all the hype and release their own mod to help satisfy the hunger of people who are waiting for the new Total War. Have any of these mods been released yet? If not, they better get their skates on.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMonty
    My point is, dos'nt this anouncment of M2:TW make their mods... Obsolete. After all, if you had the choice between a professional, feature packed, shiny new CA production or a DIY version produced by a couple of modders, which would you chose?
    Hahahaha!

Sorry....hahaha!

I will say this to you.

Rome was supposedly filled with cool new features and was supposedly very professional.

I think I prefer playing EB or MTW1.

I think they got a huge advantage because they already began their work. And when everyones is dissapointed by M2TW they got something BIG to turn to. If modders start when the game is released then it would take a very long time to complete it. And when they do Napoleon TW is already announced
    check my "only 1 settlement" thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30259

But the modders can probably tweak MTW2 in about a week to a higher standard of their current mod which has taken them many months.

Still, i think that all RTW mods should double their efforts as people will be desperate for the new total war game and this will generate more interest in modifications for RTW.

Well I am very glad that there are modders that are doing a medieval theme like CTW, Crusades, Byzantium etc. These guys answered the call of fans that missed the original MTW game. I was very happy and glad to see that they picked up the projects.

Because of this I will stick with them and support their efforts. It is great that they continue even after the announcement of the new TW game. They should not be discouraged as I am now looking even more forward to trying their mods out before MTW-II hits the stores.

Plus the medieval modders have an advantage when MTW II is released as they have already done their research and homework. These are the guys that will come up with the best mods for the new total war game. So I say we support their efforts because we will soon be praising them for improving MTW - II.

I stand 100% by their side and whenever they release I will be right there to offer my support.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMonty
    ......Now that I've had a quick think about it, It is a very long time till M2's release and maybe the Medieval modders can take advantage of all the hype and release their own mod to help satisfy the hunger of people who are waiting for the new Total War. Have any of these mods been released yet? If not, they better get their skates on.
    Indeed, this is a key point, if a mod like Chiv could get done within six to nine months, they would have alot of glory time as people play it hoping to get an early taste of MTW2 and looking for their TW fix. A good Medieval mod could easily become the biggest mod around,
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous
    Indeed, this is a key point, if a mod like Chiv could get done within six to nine months, they would have alot of glory time as people play it hoping to get an early taste of MTW2 and looking for their TW fix. A good Medieval mod could easily become the biggest mod around,
    I think all the mods will be big when they release because it seems that people are sick of playing as or against the romans, and the roman era in general. Something brand new like Zhanguo, Jidai no ran, Blue Lotus, Chivalry, Troy (if we ever finish it) and all other non-roman era mods will be very welcomed by fans. After all even the mighty M2:TW will get boring after a while and mods in different eras with different angles on the warfare will probably spring up for it too... if it is as modable. The fact the M2:TW is based on medieval histroy is a blessing for chivalry now but will be a curse if they don't release before m2:tw.

I wonder if M2TW will be as moddable as RTW. It may not be in Segas best interest to allow as much.

Quote Originally Posted by optimax
    I wonder if M2TW will be as moddable as RTW. It may not be in Segas best interest to allow as much.
    Although often we undermine the quality of their artistic work it makes sense for all game developers to make their game as moddable as possible because the facts are that the life of a game is dramatically increased by online mods. Unless the have a grudge against the modding community there is no reason why they shouldn't make it easily moddable, it wouldn't make sense... still i'm not going to get to excited about it as BI showed us we never really know what CA will do next.

I know what your saying about the MT2, It came as a shock to me as well. I'm a historian to a mod (Knights and Kings total war) And when I heard about MTW2 I began to think how historicaly bad it was going to be. If you've played BI it really sucks. CA totally throws away any realism (not to mention fun) out of their games.
    Under the Noble Patronage of Rome AC.

I'm french! Why do you think I 'av this outragous accent you silly king?! Now go away before I taunt you a second time!

A former member of the Canadian Colbert Nation, now a working member of the Panda Punctuation Police Protection agency. Otherwise known as PPPP.

If MTW2 is any less moddable than RTW, the only people that are still going to be modding are The Lordz and Zhanguo.

Personally, I already like Chivalry far better than what MTW2 is looking to be. I could just download Chivalry TW, the Renaissance mod, and NTW2 and save myself the hassle of buying MTW2(well, I'd need it for NTW2, they said they won't finish in time for an RTW release)
    Playwright. Thespian. Mathematician.

EB and CTW are going to be great. I'm really looking forward to them (I'm waiting for EB to get done with beta testing. ). I hope they don't get discouraged.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

EB shouldn't be affected....

MTWII is really great, and I can't wait to buy it.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Matthais
    CA totally throws away any realism (not to mention fun) out of their games.
    Not really...MTW was realistic to a point, not to mention rather enjoyable. We really will just have to see about MTW 2...

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

Modders will always find something to mod. After all, they like doing it.
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    Modders will always find something to mod. After all, they like doing it.
    Or they would'nt be modders, now would they?
    I hope SEGA is interested in what we TW fans want, i mean, i just hope that they make everything as moddable as possible. Cuz as Smoke said, they always find something to mod.
    Poor CA can never make an perfect game I guess nobody can...

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

If CA made a perfect game Im sure someone would still complain about something. (Nothing is perfect for everyone after all).
    Firstly, I cant wait for chivalry TW, it will be sick (in the good way) and brilliant, and the early era is close to release (in the "its done when its done" way). That said, MTW2 will also be brilliant, just as MTW was, its the second game on the RTW engine, so CA has more time to devote to ironing out bugs and implementing new features, etc.
    STW was great, but its flaws were mostly missed due to the fact that it was the first game of its kind ever out.
    MTW was brilliant, which meant we could see the problems with RTW. (AND for the record I think both expansions to the first games on the engines, STW and RTW were poor and boring). MTW2 will be a lot better, and hopefully, given the amount of mods that were/are/will be for RTW, MTW2 will remove a few restrictions and even help modders.

Let's not overlook the fact that The Lordz are bringing NTW2 to the game it was meant for. I also have no doubts the Zhanguo team will solve the most complex modding problems that arise for the new game in the matter of a couple of weeks
    Playwright. Thespian. Mathematician.